Priceline Hotel: Help?! Need strategy

mzjones34
By mzjones34,
in

Here we go again... :) Here's what I'm looking for...

Prefer 4* or resort, 2 nights (07/23-07/25) for less than $100... might eventually settle for a 3* if it were considerably lower -- like $50.

Jackson prices seem varied from site-to-site; I don't know where to begin. I think Hotwire's picks are pretty pricey, but I've seen some (I think) decent places on www.placestostay.com for $99 and thereabouts.

Last question... We have 4 adults going... one person suggested bunking together in one room (we're a family). I'm afraid the room might be very small, and only able to accomodate 2 or 3. Is this a legitimate fear? Would you recommend going for 2 rooms?

Any advice on this one?

Good points...

To answer your question... Yes, I was thinking $100/nite... $200 total.

Bottom line is, I'm trying to get the cheapest price for a 4*/resort... and if all else fails, we'll shack it in a 3*.

As for the rooms, I think you're absolutely right; 2 rooms it is. Although, maybe it would be worthwhile to book one and then book the other? Any experience with that strategy?

I only think it's going to be difficult because it doesn't appear as if there are a lot of national brands in the area, which is what Priceline usually deals with. Additionally, prices in the area seem high as a kite. I see 3* hotels in the area thru Orbtiz start at about $195, while Expedia has <very few unheard of> 3* properties at about $125. It seems like the Motel 8 in the area goes for $125. All of this is why i think this is going to be tough.

Hard to come up with a starting price since we have no bid history (as well as no re-bids). If you're trying for under $100 i would take a guess and try:

Bid Resort level at $100, if rejected

Bid 4* at $90 (if you feel desperate, you can keep your bid at $100).

Maybe you'll get a counter-offer with either one of those and we'll have a little more info to go on.

Usually i wouldn't bid $100 for an unknown room with no history, but unless something exists that i'm not aware of, i don't think resorts (or 4* hotels in the area for that matter) go for anywhere near this price. If i'm incorrect and you know of any resorts or 4* hotels under $175, then don't bid this and post the hotel/price that you are aware of.

I forgot to answer your earlier question... i wouldn't bid this separetly as you run the risk of getting 2 different hotel rooms, or worse, only getting one room and not getting filled at all on the second one.

If you decide to bid this, please consider starting your bid at SavingsBarn.com

Any questions regarding the above or if you want to discuss further, feel free to post.

Good Luck!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you're willing to go 3* you'll be able to do it MUCH cheaper. I stayed in Jackson Hole for about $50 a night last fall. Realize that with Priceline, Jackson Hole is not necessarily Teton Village -- it's lumped together. The village is the prime area, but much more expensive. I payed 45 or 50 for a budget place -- a super 8 or something, through normal channels -- not priceline. Unless you're skiing, there's a big parking lot in Teton village and it's only a 10 minute drive. Personally, I don't even remember the hotel (guess I could go through the receipts) because I went for the outside stuff -- mountains, moose........

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]