Maui (OGG) Intermediate or better

sacjacdad
By sacjacdad,
in

Are you picking-up/dropping-off the car at the same time? Including taxes/fees, what is the maximum you could bid to make a PRICELINE / HOTWIRE purchase worthwhile vs. your back-up reservation?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am picking up and dropping off @ the airport.

I meant time as in pickup 11am / dropoff 11am... or 2pm to 2pm, etc.

$28 all in is my max bid all in to make it worthwhile.

I'm assuming $28/day all-in is your maximum... but what does this translate to bid amount? (given HOTWIRE and Avis are both at $23 i'm assuming that $28 would put you over each of these services)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Not willing to go any higher than $16, with taxes average daily rate goes to $28. Hard to believe taxes are so high but they are. That is 20% less than the rate I can get directly from AVIS. Is 20% to much to ask for? Don't think it is worth it for 10%. Is it better to wait until closer date. I can cancel anytime. Your thoughts?

Taxes on airport rentals are almost always very high... it's an easy source of revenue for cities in order to fund expanding their airports, as voters almost always pass suggested rental car tax hikes (locals seldom if ever rent cars from their own airports, so it's an easy 'yes' vote vs. the possibility of having their taxes increase)

Discounts on rental cars are often not as deep as on hotels (their product is a bit more of a commodity and little differentiation between each company), but the other factor effecting this trip is that the beginning of your stay is a peak time for the area with many families taking vacation during winter recess... so it comes down to an issue of supply vs. demand. As you have your back-up reservation, and it's fully refundable, keep trying every other day or so and hope for some lower rates in the days ahead before your arrival.

Good luck! Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]