Manipulating listings

OTAnerd
By OTAnerd,
in

So I am planning a vacation to see my favorite baseball team do some spring training in a couple months. After a couple days of watching Hotwire.com, I started to wonder about the identities of the hotels which I'm looking at.. that thought led me here.

I was wondering how far sites like Hotwire go when it comes to keeping their hotels secret. Certainly they change the amenities we see (this is evident from the multiple sets some hotels have on your lists) but is there any evidence to suggest that they might change star levels based on whats available in the chosen market?

These days, organizations like Mobil or AAA seem to have been made irrelevant by these companies which have devise their own ranking systems. Other people on this forum seem to say that Hotwire inflates their rankings somewhat... is Priceline more conservative?

I've never used any of these websites before, and I want to make sure that I'm not being misled... I certainly understand that paying the depressed price requires an assumption of a certain amount of risk... but are we at the mercy of an algorithm's whim at any given time when we search Hotwire?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

... is there any evidence to suggest that they might change star levels based on whats available in the chosen market?

Not certain i understand what you're asking here, but i'll give it a shot...

Hotels are rated on an individual basis, so a Holiday Inn in one city may be 2.5* rated, in another city it may be 3* rated, and in yet another city 3.5* rated.

If this doesn't answer your question please clarify and we'll try to assist further.

Do you have specific dates in mind for your trip? If so what are they, and what city, zone(s), star rating and budget are you seeking?

Please read your messages and use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future bidding, searches, and travel purchases (please click each of these previous links before replying). Thanks!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've never used any of these websites before, and I want to make sure that I'm not being misled... I certainly understand that paying the depressed price requires an assumption of a certain amount of risk... but are we at the mercy of an algorithm's whim at any given time when we search Hotwire?

The way to protect yourself is to do research first - lots of research.

Find the best option you can find, and then only select Hotwire when a better deal is offered there. Or only bid on Priceline up to the amount of the best option. Factor in adjustments for any hotel points you might give up, and for not being sure what you might get.

I'm working on finding some lodging right now. In this particular situation, I decided the hotel points I'd give up are worth $10, and being sure is worth another $10. A favorite chain has a room for $70 (taxes and fees included) on their web site. Consequently, I'm only going to bid up to $50 (again, after taxes and fees), before I give up and just book directly with the hotel.

Putting money values on things is very personal, but somewhere in the back of your head is usually a $figure for which you are willing to assume the particular risk. This particular trip of mine is overseas, and the risk of the unexpected (to me) is greater. For a U.S. trip, I'd probably bid up to a $5 differential.

There are links to a lot of hotel web sites and other general booking sites under Support Page up above.

Romelle

AAA ratings are still #1 guide most consider the authority in ratings. For the most part and from my Exp. most of the ratings are not really inflated. Here or there you could get one but not a whole market EXCEPT I have always said and have always seen on both Priceline and Hotwire Orlando has some inflated ratings. Most of the 4*s are fairly 4* , but on the lower levels there are lots of 3* that should be 2*s etc. There are so many choices in that market too that I pretty much wont bid on anything less then a 4*. lol this might change for this weekend if I make a Christmas Disney World trip but well see. Hope this helps!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]