Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on Hudson

peridot
By peridot,
in

Yes, as long as it is reasonably close to transport and "nice" - pref. with parking and shuttle to and from Newark...I was still hoping for Jersey City - one of the other 2 hotels near the Hyatt but I guess that's a lost cause?? :)

Something as cheap as possible....factoring in the Canadian exchange, every penny counts!! Anything possible for $55 range??

Thanks for you help!!

ps: yes - the above bid was only for Jersey City...haven't attempted any other areas yet.

Why do you need a hotel with transportation to/from Newark when you have a car? Am I missing something? I'm not aware of any of the Secaucus/North Bergen/Meadowlands hotels that have shuttles from EWR. You may have to crack open that wallet and take a cab

We will not have the car when we arrive - Only as of Thursday evening. So transport from Newark is an issue. $50 cab ride is a little steep. :) Aren't there shuttles from the airport that can bring you to the PATH or somewhere? And again, I would need a hotel that is relatively close to some type of transport into Manhattan whether it is the PATH or a bus or a ferry. Do you think I should try and bid higher for the other hotels in Jersey City or do you think they are sold out for those dates?

Which specific areas are my best bet?

using Hotwire, you can get what appears to be the Ramada Limited in Jersey City, this seems to match several of your criteria: free shuttle from Newark, close to PATH (just two blocks from the Journal Square station) and as of last week, there was a parking garage close by that offered free parking (up to 12 hours). This is a 2* property that is available for about $105 plus tax. This probably misses, though, on one criteria: its not that cheap :)

thereuare:

I took a look at hotwire and I see a 2* in Secaucus for $58 - amenities are kitchenette and laundry. - This is the Howard Johnson?? Would it be safe to say that transportation into Manhattan would be doable from anywhere in Secaucus?

I also see what I think is the Hyatt - 3.5* for $145 - so it seems available for those days, I guess I just missed the mark because of price...do you think if I wait a day I may be able to get it for $80 on priceline?

don't know what to do?!

I don't think that's the HoJo as i don't believe they have kitchenettes in the room.

My guess would be the Homewood Suites. The problem with this entire area is getting to the hotel from EWR... there are no inexpensive transportation options. I suppose you could get to NYC from EWR and then take the bus from NYC to Secaucus, but this would really be a hassle (especially with luggage), not to mention time consuming.

You could try the Hyatt cheaper but i don't know how successful you'll be... could take as much as $100/nite (and given the cost of transport to the other areas, this may or may not be worth it). The Hyatt is also much cheaper on the 30th than the 29th, although the rate difference doesn't appear to be reflected thru the opaque services, but splitting the bid may be an option here to at least try (i do understand this is not idea for your situation).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Can you tell me how to get to NYC from Newark airport - is it relatively easy? I'm starting to think that maybe I could try and book a cheap hotel near Laguardia for Wed - Friday...that way I could easily get to and from Manhattan those days. Isn't there a hotel at LGA airport that includes parking too??? A friend of mine had mentioned that it is also very cheap - reg rates can go for as little as $80 - I don't remember the name. If I could somehow get to LGA from Newark - without having to take a cab I would definitely consider that option...are there shuttles?? How does that work??

Thanks.

It's not recommended to take stay at LGA to 'commute' to Manhattan via mass transit. There is nothing in the immediate area, and if you're using mass transit you'll likely need to take the hotel's shuttle to the airport, take the bus to the subway, the subway to Manhattan... a lenghtly process.

As well, the decent hotels in the area are not as cheap as you posted above, of if they are that inexpensive, i would question the safety... lots of areas around the airport are not safe (and you'll likely need to pay for parking)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Staying at LGA is a good idea if you fly into or out of that airport or have business in that part of Queens (which I occasionally do) or if you need to get some great Korean Barbecue (which I always do), that's it. If an $80 room appeals to you, it might take two hours and three transfers just to get out there from Newark, and with luggage, fuggetaboutit!!!! What have you saved?? Do not consider LGA for your trip.

There are shuttles FOR HIRE that you can get at Newark Airport that will be cheaper than a cab, and they will take you anywhere you'd like to go for a FEE. You should start at this website:Newark Liberty Airport for information about getting to and from the airport. Also, spend some time on this part of the message board and many of your questions and those still unasked will be addressed here: Travel around NY NJ

Ok - I think I will speak to my friend about that and get more specifics on what he knows.

Just so I am informed: how exactly could I get from Newark to Manhattan...is it relatively simple? Like one bus direct, or one shuttle - did someone mention a bus or shuttle to penn station or port authority??

As soon as I know that I think I can make an informed decision on whether I stick to Jersey or look into other options like Manhattan.

thanks!

thanks dahammer - just saw your post. I will take a look at that.....mucho gracias!

Peridot, all you want to know about getting around between the airports and Manhattan may be found on the two links above. You will pay a lot more for a room in Manhattan. I am always looking for a good deal and I think you need to "bite the bullet" and grab that Hotwire deal in Jersey City for $145.00, you won't have to switch hotels.

a year from now, you will forget paying an extra $50.00 for the room, but you will remember your trip to NYC.

The hotel with the kitchenette could possibly be the Homestead Suites or the Extended Stay Suites (they use that word suite very loosely; what they have are rooms that have kitchenettes in them). Extended Stay has a New Jersey transit bus stop right in front of the hotel. And the bus that drives that route is a motor coach (cushioned seats). From NYC to Secaucus it takes about 20 minutes if traffic isn't tied up. And the bus terminal in Manhattan is right near Times Square. I'm sure there is also a bus stop somewhere near the Homestead Suites because it is on the edge of a shopping center.

Either one is clean, but they are definitely "low frills" experiences. No daily maid service (yes, you make your own bed). No swimming pool. But, then again, how much time will you be spending at the hotel vs. how much time will you be spending in Manhattan?

Thanks cabara. That is good to know. The price is definitely right and the no-frills doesn't bother me - I guess the only risk is not knowing for sure which hotel it is and most importantly the bus situation. I would not want to end up somewhere where I am stuck cabbing it everywhere. I'll keep this as a backup if nothing else comes along.

:)

Yep...I'm seeing that. It would cost me around $40-50 cab and then after all that we still have to wait for a bus to get to and from NYC...a bit too much hassle. Otherwise it would have been great. FYI - I am pretty sure it is the Extended Stay Suites at $58 - I did some research and it fits...the Homestead has a pool and is going for $88.

I'm pretty close to booking the Ramada Inn on Hotwire for $105 - free shuttle, easy trasnsport and parking - I think it may be my only option.

I almost went for the 1* on Priceline - Econolodge Jersey City but realized that too would be a huge hassle and in the end I wouldn't save enough $ to make it worthwhile.

I'll make up my mind and post my results.

Cheers.

Another winning bid!! :)

Hyatt Regency Jersey City

6/30-7/1

$93.00

Accepted

I thought I would give it a shot with an attempt at $71 and I was asked to put an additional $22 and I scored the hyatt. I am locked out now and can't attempt another bid for 6/29 in Jersey City. Too bad because I think I could get that night for $93 as well.

Failed Bid:

Jersey City

6/29 - 6/30

2*

$81.00

I won't worry for my last night of 7/4...probably just stay near the airport and book last minute.

I just have to worry about Wednesday 6/29 now. That 72 hour lock out is really annoying!! The Ramada Inn is still my back up plan.

Signed up for Gold Passport. You are a wealth of information dahammer...thanks so much. I would not have known about that.

On Pricelines shop and compare I am seeing the prices have gone down for my remaining nights for both hyatt and candlewood...i may hang in there until tomorrow when my 72 hours is up. If all fails I'll grab the Ramada Inn.

:)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]