Hotwire Hotel: Need two rooms but search only will let me get one

mary228
By mary228,
in

When I search Jersey City for 12/17-19 (two nights) and ask for a room with two adults and two children, I get the property I'm interested in (Westin) - 95%recommentadation. When I ask for a room with 2 adults and 1 child or two adults, it doesn't show up. If I ask for two rooms it doesn't show up. What advice can you give me. I'd like to get two rooms on one try so I'm sure we can all fit (5 travelers).

There is nothing you can do to 'force' HOTWIRE to show you a different property... it's possible that the hotel has only offered one room to HOTWIRE for these dates at this time.

You could book one room thru HOTWIRE, then if the same hotel is not offered to make a second purchase, you could book a room direct with the Westin, bringing your average cost to ~$150/nite... or if you're willing to risk staying at two different properties wait it out and see if the hotel appears again in the coming days.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or our Westin link should you decide to book direct)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You could book one room thru HOTWIRE, then if the same hotel is not offered to make a second purchase, you could book a room direct with the Westin, bringing your average cost to ~$150/nite...

Not sure if I'm understanding your point here. If I book on Hotwire for $107 and have to book directly for the second room for $191, I'm paying $298 per night. Or am I missing something? We can all squeeze in to the Courtyard with no extra charge for the rollaway for $197 per night, but I would be happy to go a little higher for two rooms at the Westin if I could get them for $214 (2 x $107).

I wasn't aware of your Courtyard option and thought that you were trying specifically for the Westin... and two rooms at an average of $150/nite is better than booking direct two rooms at $191/nite ;)

Depending how flexible you are:

12/17-12/19 = book 2rooms/3adults/2children in Jersey City for the nite that you want at $108 (assuming this is the one you want)

Then...

1) try extending your stay thru HOTWIRE. If the hotel is not able to extend your stay then:

TWO OPTIONS:

1) move across the street to the Courtyard for the second nite of your stay (in one room... at least you get the 2 rooms and higher rated hotel for the first nite... but at the cost of having to change hotels)

2) there are some inexpensive options in Manhattan for Sunday nite when searching 2rooms/3adults/2children:

4* hotel in Times Square for $161/nite

3.5* hotel in ESB for $156/nite

3.5* hotel in MTE for $106/nite

3* hotel in Times Square for $111/nite

3* hotel Downtown for $105/nite

Thoughts on SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID and changing hotels vs. the complete stay at one hotel but five people sharing a room?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I feel pretty foolish as I never even knew you could ask for two rooms in one attempt. Procrastination seems to be working in my favor, as now, with one week until my stay, the Westin has come up again for both nights at $111. My dilemna is that I can also get Midtown Central, most likely the Holiday Inn 57th St for $157 and I think even less for the second night if I try each night individually. Obviously a less desirable property but the location is good. I'll book using this site's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links and post the win if we decide to forgo the cozy Courtyard with all of us crammed into one room!

I think you hit the nail on the head... the Holiday Inn is a better location given it's in Manhattan (although not the most ideal location within Manhattan) but the Westin is a substantially nicer property. However, i think both options are better than being crammed in one room at the Courtyard.

Let us know what you decide or if we can be of further help.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

I never did book a property using Hotwire for this stay. I got a little greedy, hoping the price would go lower than $111 for the Westin but it went higher each day to $144. Just thought I'd pass along that fact for others who like to rol the dice.

My husband thinks the area around the Holiday Inn on 57th St is too seedy (he hasn't lived in New York for 25 years, so I don't know if he's right) so we'll cram into the Courtyard at the AAA discount rate.

Thanks for all of your help and advice. You seem to kow Jersey City quite well, so if you can recommend anyplace for breakfast or dinner, that would be great. We will have a car at the Courtyard with in/out privleges. What do you think of the mall there? Iat one time there was no slaes tax in NJ, at least on clothing (we pay 8-10% where I live).

Thanks for closing this thread with your decision.

I'm not a HUGE breakfast person but we once ate at this place for which the pancakes were 'much better than average' (although i haven't returned... perhaps i was annoyed enough by the 'large' juice served to each of my kids in a small child's cup for $3.50 each):

Brownstone Diner and Pancake Factory

426 Jersey Avenue

Jersey City, New Jersey 07302

There is also a Starbucks behind the hotel and if looking to save money there is a small supermarket "Morton Williams" supermarket which has fresh bagels, rolls (and maybe pastries??) which you can buy at supermarket prices and take back to your room. They also have a deli counter for sandwiches and prepared meals.

If you let me know what type of food and price point you're looking for i can offer some restaurant suggestions.

Shopping:

The mall isn't that great, although it can serve it's purpose if you are just looking to burn an hour or two or need to fill-in something you may have forgotten to pack. There is still no sales tax on clothes in NJ, but if you're looking to shop i'd instead get in the car and head to Jersey Gardens (~15 minutes from the Courtyard) which has 'outlets' of name brand companies... Timberland, Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, and a bunch of other stores i'm sure my wife can name much better than me. ;)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]