Turkey Istanbul Hotel Sumengen

Romelle
By Romelle,
in

I did two separate Istanbul Hotwire purchases - 3 days and 8 days. Got the same hotel both times. So a total of 11 days at this hotel.

My adult son joined me for the last 9 days of this stay.

The hotel worked very well for us. Perhaps a 5 minute walk to the Blue Mosque and the Haghia Sophia, two of the major tourist destinations in Istanbul. The same 5 minutes also brought us to a tram station, so easy to get elsewhere. Another 10 minutes or so walk or a 5 minute tram ride to either the Grand Bazaar or the Spice Market, two more major tourist destinations. Wonderful location.

With an "Istanbul Card" tram/bus/ferry/train rides are only about $1 per leg, less if you are continuing on.

Hotel decor had a distinct Turkish feeling to it - ornate moldings, brocade bedspreads, chandeliers, rich colors.

If you like firm beds, this is the place for you.

Because the hotel is built on the side of a VERY steep hill, front side reception is actually ground level on the 4th floor. Our rooms were on the back side on the 2nd and 1st floor (we moved once), but still with outside windows. We had a nice sea view from the 2nd floor, but just buildings from the 1st floor (as is usual in Europe, there was a Zero floor which was ground level on the back side).

Operating windows, so one could get fresh air. I'd guess the rooms on the opposite side of the lower levels wouldn't have windows though?

A train line runs right by one side of the hotel. If noise is an issue for you, ask for a room on the opposite side. We both slept with earplugs so it wasn't a problem.

The staff was extremely kind and considerate. Always enough English to communicate, although sometimes a little sign language was involved or somebody else would be found to answer a question.

A free internet computer in the lobby, with use of a printer for those airline boarding passes.

The first room we were given had a king bed and a pull out sofa bed. While the sofa bed wasn't bad, we asked if we might get a room with two actual beds. The second room had two twin beds.

Both rooms had attractive heavy dark wood furniture.

Showers with fine water pressure.

Breakfast was included. An incredible array. Eggs, meats, cheeses. A noodle and cheese hot dish. Breads and toasts. Cereals. Fresh fruits - 4 kinds each day. Juices. Sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. Yoghurts. Dried figs and apricots, plus walnuts and hazel nuts. Great coffee and an interesting array of teas. We tried new combinations every day. All in a 5th floor sunny light airy dining room with crystal chandeliers and a view out to the Golden Horn. There also were some outside tables, and these were very pleasant. We watched cruise ships and fishing boats and huge rusty tankers sail by. The Queen Victoria was in town and I saw that move majestically along.

And then another unexpected treat - they also did a late afternoon "Tea and Cookies" 4 - 6 pm. More than just cookies too - cakes, those dried fruits and nuts, and some of the cooked hot items that hadn't gotten eaten at breakfast.

Since this is a bit of a travelog too, I'll mention Taksim Square, crossing by ferry from Europe to Asia, boat cruises up the Golden Horn and up the Bosphorus to the Black Sea and a ferry visit to Princes Islands. My son got a shave, facial, head massage, and generally tidying up. He loved it so much he went for a second one just before he left. I went to an authentic Turkish bath. Scrubbed, sloshed, steamed, and pummeled to within an inch of my life, but it was a wonderful experience.

I worried a little about being a caucasian non-Muslim single grandmother in a 99% Muslim country, but I was totally comfortable and safe at all times. In fact, very nicely treated. On public transportation, young people routinely get up for older people, and men routinely get up for women.

The hotel shows a little wear here and there, but was totally clean and functional.

I'm trying to figure out how to go back .....

Romelle

• 1 month later...

Romelle - I'm in Istanbul now, tried to send you a message on the BB site but it says you're not accepting messages, so hope this inquiry fits here. Found a great Turkish bath, thanks, but looking for a traditional shave that your son enjoyed so much. The hotel doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about so thought I'd check in with you to see if you had a recommendation, or how to ask for what I need. Great city, but a bit chilly so far (50's, which isn't horrible compared to the upper midwest). Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]