Priceline Hotel: Maui Help Needed, Resort, 9/4-9/10

lifeinabox
By lifeinabox,
in

Hi, we are trying to book a 7-day vacation to the Ka'anapali area of Maui and are hoping for the Hyatt but will take whatever Resort we can get. Started at $155 (based on past wins posted here) and have gone up $5 increments all the way up to $185. Even tried the previous week up to $185 but no luck.

Hotwire shows $256 for the week of 9/4-9/10 and $238 for 8/28-9/3. I'm tempted to go with Hotwire and not drag on unless anyone is confident I can get Priceline for less than $200. I'm waiting to book airfare after the hotel, so the longer I wait, perhaps the higher my airfare as well. :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Board member LoneStar may have more to comment regarding your specific stay, but from elsewhere on the board (posted by him):

Folks going to Hawaii this summer really need to do some legwork if they want to snag any priceline deals. This looks to be the busiest summer in Hawaiian travel history, and rooms are generally sold out (especially the deeply discounted room rates). I would suggest that before asking for assistance, folks run their individual days through both hotwire and priceline vacations to get an idea of what might be possible, and what days are likely to be unavailable. Anyone hoping to snag a week or so at the same Hawaiian resort at a cheapo priceline rate this summer is going to need a lot of luck. Don't assume that because somebody got a deal in May that such rates are possible for July.

If you do go the Hotwire route, do note that first time users can use the coupon code 'giftcard06' for $10 off per nite (up to $50).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would add (as I have done before) that it is also wise this summer to check the Entertainment half-off rates at the Outrigger and Aston properties.

A Maui vacation is not cheap and, given availability, it requires some legwork these days. Once you've done that legwork -- and, especially, looked to see if there are any likely "problem days" affecting your stay -- there are plenty of folks here who will gladly assist you in getting the best hotel deal possible.

FWIW, given that your arrival is in September (past the summer peak), I would personally not bid more than $160 night unless I had information suggesting high occupany levels for my specific days. I would also not wait to buy my airline tickets, unless you could NOW successfully bid on alternative days and then immediately buy the airfare.

FWIW, given that your arrival is in September (past the summer peak), I would personally not bid more than $160 night unless I had information suggesting high occupany levels for my specific days. I would also not wait to buy my airline tickets, unless you could NOW successfully bid on alternative days and then immediately buy the airfare.

Thanks for the replies. I suppose that labor day weekend might be considered "problem days", but I have checked rates for days for that weekend, the preceding, AND following weeks and the availability/rates seem about the same.

We are pretty set on staying at one of the 4* resorts in Ka'anapali. I feel I

Looks like there are no opaque deals for the 9/4 to 9/10 period in Ka'anapali. Whether any deals will open up is difficult to predict. Hawaii has been busy, but September is not known as a busy month. I think those mid $200 rates represent extremely poor vacation value (rent a luxe villa for less!), but folks pay them all the time.

If you're flexible, it looks like deals are available for that week on the Big Island. I would also look into the Aston and Outrigger half-off rates.

Ah, so you were flexible. :)

The Hilton Waikoloa at half the price of a Maui resort is a smart choice to make (you can see my review of the Hilton in the hotel review section). At $135, it's well worth it.

Please post your dates as we will no doubt have other September resort seekers looking for something reasonable.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]