Hotwire Hotel: Annapolis vacation help 2012

RadarRick
By RadarRick,
in

GREAT SITE.... Kudos to all that support this site and provide advise.

I have been trying to use PL and HW for several weeks to find a location in Annapolis. I have been bidding PL at $80 and 3.5. I will be driving from Morgantown, WV (4 hour drive). I prefer a hotel/rental with free parking and it would be nice to have a free breakfast thrown in. A frig/microwave would be great also.

I am looking for strategy as well as knowledge.

Here are the specifics.

4 total, 2 adults and 2 kids (5 & 15). Prefer 2 beds. I actually have a 6 month old (in March) also but don't need a bed for him.

Friday, March 30 thru Sunday, April 8, 2012 (total of 9 nights). I could accept 8 or 7 nights if I can get the 'right' property. This is the DC blossom festival time, so I am not sure this effects Annapolis at all.

A majority of my visit will be touring DC sites, but like the 'old town' feel of Annapolis to rest and relax at night. Have friends who lived here years ago, visited several times but never had to hotel here before. Wouldn't be agaimst something closer to DC but as with any family price and all the other variables (value, clean, safe, secure, etc.) come into play.

I have seen the 3.5 stars (Westin or Loews) going for 80-90 dollars on average, some as low as $70. Do I need to change strategies and not try and book all 9 days at once? Be patient and keep trying? Am I too early in my request? What do you suggest?

RR

Welcome to BetterBidding! (and thanks for the compliments on the site)

I prefer a hotel/rental with free parking and it would be nice to have a free breakfast thrown in. A frig/microwave would be great also.

These are amenities you can't control when bidding on PRICELINE... you could receive any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose. You could consider HOTWIRE which will show you the amenities beforehand so you will know if the hotel offers a complimentary breakfast, and you could also use the amenity information to take an educated guess as to the hotel being offered (and, assuming you guess correctly, or at least narrow down the likely options) know how much (if any) parking will cost, internet, if frig/microwave is offered, etc. The trade-off is that HOTWIRE usually costs a little more than PRICELINE.

4 total, 2 adults and 2 kids (5 & 15). Prefer 2 beds. I actually have a 6 month old (in March) also but don't need a bed for him.

I assume you're only bidding on one room? If so, the bigger issue, imo, than obtaining your 'wants' above is that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. Is this a risk you're willing to accept? If not, HOTWIRE may still be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc)

What is your target budget per nite (before taxes an fees) and desired star rating? What are your thoughts regarding the 'challenges' above?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... please click each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links before replying.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have used all the sites before....Expedia, priceline, kayak, Hotels.com, etc. So I know how to work the different sites. Using PL I prefer to use 4 or 3.5 stars because the amenities usually covers the basics I would prefer.

My concern is that after I use those sites in years past I always find out later someone knew a tip, or a better way to get a better deal. My reason for asking first on this site is that you provide tools and research that can give you a leg up. Just want to know should I continue bidding ($80 a night) or do I really need a different strategy.

First I would have no problem with PL and their policy of only 'one' bed on name your price..... BUT I would prefer at least two beds (one being a sofa bed alright too). If I have to pay extra for parking and breakfast (as well as taxes, fees and to a lessor extent cost of parking to board the metro) it will all be part of my decision to 'book' that hotel in that area. I am also looking for a hotel in the greater DC area, but I really prefer to stay in Annapolis but if I can find a $100 3 star hotel in DC I have to let my wallet talk. So I have to keep this in mind as I am a family and budgets do have to be taken into account.

$100 a night is about my max budget for 9 nights. Obviously 4 star or 3.5 first, but will accept a clean, safe, secure 3 star also. I could go a little higher for a good reason (free parking, free continental breakfast), or maybe cut my stay to 8 or 7 days thus reducing my total bill. Since I prefer to stay in Annapolis I will have to drive to the metro daily so (downtown area preferred) but will accept further out also.

Thanks for your reply.

RR

This far out it's difficult to say if the bigger issue is the length of your stay or it being too early.

However, rates are not that high at the moment and if you search Expedia you'll see 3* hotels like Hilton Garden Inn, Doubletree and a few others starting at $90 (non-refundable) and $110 (refundable). Given you've already bid just about the non-refundable rate you can choose to pick one of these hotels (where you know the name, and possibly even book a room with two beds for the same price) OR take one of the refundable rates which is slightly over your budget, and continue to try PRICELINE / HOTWIRE in the months ahead.

Thoughts?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or our Expedia link or any of the links in our Support Page if you choose to book something direct, either 'permanently' or as a refundable back-up)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]