Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago North Shore (North Shore) Renaissance Chicago North Shore

paintergirl
By paintergirl,
in

I started with 4* North Shore $50 bid. I added Deerfield 3 1/2*, I was trying to get the 3 1/2 * in Deerfield as you suggested. I then added all of the other areas until it upgraded me to the 4* in North Shore. It sounds like Deerfield would have been better. But, I am happy with the results.

I can't thank you enough for all of your help!! :D

Congratulations on your success(es)!

Glad to see you're pleased with your purchases for this trip and have got all your hotel plans taken care of.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Edited to add: I just called over to the hotel - the shuttle does run to a nearby Metra station - the drivers come in at 6:30, then the first shuttle is 7am. Not sure if that would be early enough. I believe she said 11 is the last shuttle, although you'd have to confirm that. If you're coming back on a train during the 10pm hour, you may be getting back too late for that.

Edited to add 2: with regular rate at $219 per night on Expedia, this is definitely a very nice discount!

Very nice win for this property! The website states that the hotel doesn't have airport shuttle (which is not unexpected, given the distance), but I'm pretty positive (unless something's changed and it doesn't anymore - it did when I stayed there earlier this year) that the hotel has a shuttle that goes within the very nearby area - there are two Metra stations to the East of the hotel - Braeside and Glencoe - it may go to one or both. If the hotel does have a shuttle, I'd definitely confirm how early it starts, as it may/may not start early enough.

This hotel is on Skokie Blvd. If you head North on Skokie Blvd, you'll get to Dundee. Keep going North on Skokie Blvd and you'll go under a large overpass. On the other side of that, on the East side of the street on Skokie, you'll see a nice mall. This mall has two grocery stores: Garden Fresh and, at the North end of the mall, a Trader Joe's. Both are great if you want to bring snacks back to the room or stock up with things to take with you during the day.

Metra options nearby:

1. Lake Cook Road - see link. Go North on Skokie to Dundee. Go West on Dundee for a couple of minutes and you'll hit Waukegan. Go North on Waukegan for a brief period and you'll hit Lake Cook. Go briefly. West on Lake Cook and you'll see the station, which is next to a mall that has a Home Depot. A bit further, but the benefit is ample parking. Parking is $1.50.

2. Glencoe - see link This is on a different line than the Lake Cook station. This is a pretty place to wait and a historic station. There are not quite as many parking spaces here, though - they extend to the North of the back of the station on Old Green Bay. Do call this number (847-835-4111) if you have any questions - that's Glencoe Public Works, and it may be good if you are not going to be back until late to give them a call. This would a pretty place to park and wait, but not as much parking. I believe there is also a small fee to park here (there's a fare box by the parking in the back of the train station), but not sure how much it is (probably not more than a couple of bucks.)

3. Finally, another very good alternative to Lake Cook on the same line would be Northbrook. From your hotel, head North very briefly to Dundee, then head very briefly West on Dundee to Shermer, then continue SW on Shermer for a few minutes into the town of Northbrook and the train station is in town. This would have more parking than Glencoe. Parking here is $1, according to three very positive Yelp reviews. This would also put you one station closer to downtown than Lake Cook.

Braeside would be another alternative on the Glencoe line, but there's little parking there and it wouldn't be as convenient.

So there are a number of Metra stations nearby.

Do be sure to buy your tickets in the train station if there is an attendant at the station, as there is a charge to buy them from the conductor on the train. Do allow some time in advance to grab a spot and get a ticket in-station before heading downtown.

One suggestion: buy a round trip ticket in the morning (essentially two one ways), so that you do not have to stop and buy a ticket at the station coming back at night.

I really don't think it's a bad walk over to Mart Plaza from either of these stations in the morning, but I think it's worth taking a cab back - and it isn't a long cab ride.

Additionally, both downtown stations - Ogilvie and Union - are giant indoor stations (particularly Union, which is very big and historic - several long-distance Amtrak's also go out of Union; the interior of Ogilvie is more modern), so you will not have to be waiting outside on a platform or in a subway station late at night. There are some stores/restaurants in each station as well, although most of them will likely be closed by 10.

There is a local contact number for the parking (usually the village number) on each station listing on the Metra website. You can call the number for any information or questions. The Lake Cook station is in-between two malls, but the Northbrook and Glencoe stations are in smaller, quaint towns.

This hotel was set to undergo some changes/renovation this year, according to sheets that were in the rooms when I stayed there. I thought it was a pretty nice hotel as-is, but hopefully some improvements have been made. This hotel was previously a Sheraton and the outside really hasn't changed since it was built (probably 70's era), but it is more modern in feel on the inside. You may want to ask for a high floor room; there's not a ton directly around the hotel, but that actually does result in pretty long-distance views around the area from the top couple of floors.

The hotel is next to the highway - I don't know how much noise that would create, as when I stayed there I was facing the other direction (West). However, the benefit of that is that once you get off the expressway, this hotel is very easy to find.

There is not a great deal *directly* around the hotel, but it is a nice area and there are a number of restaurant and shopping areas nearby. Not sure if you will have much time, but if you do need area suggestions, please let me know. There's a high-end mall a few minutes away that's sort of like an interior version of many of the same sort of things you'll find on Michigan Ave.

Please let me know if you have *any* questions.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]