Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium Park - The Loop - Grant Park) Hyatt Regency Chicago

paintergirl
By paintergirl,
in

I would like some help bidding. I am searching for a 4* hotel 11/29 - 12/5 I have bid twice $55 for the Millenium Park, adding $60 North Michigan Avenue.

I am trying to get a 4* hotel that is not too far from the 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza. The two areas I bid in seem the best. If you have some other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

I would like to stay under $100. I am assuming I am going to have to pay something for parking as well. I am in town for business and would like to keep my expenses as minimal as possible, not sure how much money I will make while I am in town. ;) My preference in 4* hotel. (maybe 3 1/2) I will pay what I have to. But, like no one else, I am trying to keep my costs at a minimum.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

If keeping budget to a minimum is a priority, I'd suggest the North suburbs, which are quite nice (and offer a pretty wide variety of shopping and restaurants.) The hotels there would offer free parking, versus paying $40-60 per night at hotels downtown or $25ish per night for city lots. My guess is you could probably get a 3.5-4* in the North burbs for $45-60 (possibly $65) or so per night, but then would have to take the Metra in (about 35-45 minutes, but the Metra trains are very nice; bathrooms, two levels, conductors) and more comfortable than the CTA trains.

Additionally, the only issue with the Metra trains is that they run less often on the weekends (Sat/Sun). There are express trains in the morning/evening rush during the weekdays. If you are going to be staying for a longer period, you could get a 10 ride pass, which are a pretty decent savings over 10 separate Metra rides.

Unfortunately, downtown I think you're looking at higher/possibly quite a bit higher (depending) for these dates. For a 4*, I think you are probably looking at over $100 (plus parking), and possibly over $100 at the 3.5* level, as well.

So, the North burbs would likely be substantially cheaper (both in terms of free parking and hotel), but you would have to take the train back/forth to downtown (which, again, on the Metra trains is at least pretty comfortable.)

Please let us know your thoughts.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still looking for a hotel, and now my time is running thin! Yikes. I like your suggestion of saving money in the North Burbs. However I am concerned about a commute because I am in town on business where I am going to have very long work days, that start early in the morning. There is a hotel block offered through the show I am doing. It is $156 a night for the Holiday inn chicago mart Plaza +parking, $159 for the Amalfi +parking, or $140 for the Best Western parking included. The hotel locations are great options since the show is at the Chicago Mart. But, this is more than I was hoping to spend. I could do the Best Western, but the hotel doesn't look very nice to me via the internet. Do you think I can get a better deal than this bidding?

So far last night I bid up to $95 for NMA-River NOrth, and Millennium Park. 4*

Is there an option where I could park my vehicle in Chicago during the stay and not at the hotel that is cheaper than hotel parking?

I appreciate your help, and sorry for so many questions!

Happy to help! :)

You could park your vehicle outside the city and then take the train in, but the options aren't really super or varied.

There are downtown lots: Navy Pier and Millennium Park (which are $20-25, but add on high taxes.)

You can see the schedule for Metra trains at Metrarail.com - the trains from the North burbs (for example) are about 35-45 minutes into the city, possibly a minute or two more or less than that. Trains come less frequently on the weekends, but there are express trains in the mornings and evening rush. Parking in the burbs at hotels is free, but you would likely have to drive to a nearby Metra station (although some hotels may have shuttles) and then take the train. This would be less (both in terms of hotel and parking), but more effort.

You could also spend a portion of your stay in the burbs and a portion in the city to bring down the average cost. Looking this morning, 12/1-5 is much cheaper on HOTWIRE than 11/29-12/5; I'm seeing what appears to be the Hyatt on Wacker Downtown for $89 on HOTWIRE when searching for 12/1-5 only. Those dates would also cover the weekend, when trains from the 'burbs are less frequent.

Would splitting your stay be of interest?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Happy to help! :)

You could park your vehicle outside the city and then take the train in, but the options aren't really super or varied.

There are downtown lots: Navy Pier and Millennium Park (which are $20-25, but add on high taxes.)

You can see the schedule for Metra trains at Metrarail.com - the trains from the North burbs (for example) are about 35-45 minutes into the city, possibly a minute or two more or less than that. Trains come less frequently on the weekends, but there are express trains in the mornings and evening rush. Parking in the burbs at hotels is free, but you would likely have to drive to a nearby Metra station (although some hotels may have shuttles) and then take the train. This would be less (both in terms of hotel and parking), but more effort.

You could also spend a portion of your stay in the burbs and a portion in the city to bring down the average cost. Looking this morning, 12/1-5 is much cheaper on HOTWIRE than 11/29-12/5; I'm seeing what appears to be the Hyatt on Wacker Downtown for $89 on HOTWIRE when searching for 12/1-5 only. Those dates would also cover the weekend, when trains from the 'burbs are less frequent.

Would splitting your stay be of interest?

So, staying in the suburbs could be an option because it would save us so much money. Which suburb would you suggest? My other concern is looking at where the train station comes in to the city we would probably take the Union Pacific NOrth line? It looks like that station is not very close to the Merchandise Mart. Is this distance walkable? My concern would be walking this at night, because we could be trying to catch a train after 10pm to head back.

Splitting up could be doable as well. the 29th and 30th we could stay in the suburbs and then do the 1-5 downtown. I could leave the vehicle anywhere as long as it was safe, we won't be needing it to drive while we are in town. Also, if we split it up we would have to see about an early check in at the hotel on the 1st, because my work day starts early in the morning, and won't be finished until the evening late. Or, we would have to be able to do a late check in after the work day is over. I am not sure if hotels allow that....

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!! I will look at the Hyatt on wacker in the mean time...

In terms of taking the Metra from the suburbs to downtown, some trains come into Ogilvie Transit Center, while some come in at Union Station, which is a block or so South of Ogilvie. This is really not very far from Merchandise Mart. However, in terms of the Loop in general once you get to 10pm at night, I'd suggest using a cab. It would be a very quick cab ride - just a few minutes, especially later at night when there's not a ton of people around - from the Mart to either of those stations. It's just that the Loop can be VERY quiet later into the evening, and it's not a bad idea to take a cab late at night even if you are staying downtown.

I'd suggest staying in the North burbs in terms of the suburban options. In terms of the suburbs, would you be looking for a 4*, or would you be more interested in a 3/3.5*, given that you're going to be downtown most of the day?

The Hyatt isn't right by the Mart, but it wouldn't be too far and is centrally located in the downtown area. That property was recently renovated - it's a massive convention-oriented property.

When searching for 12/1-5, I'm seeing a 4* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville zone on HOTWIRE for $90 w/Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Spa. That would likely be the Hyatt.

In terms of switching hotels, what you could do is drive downtown early in the morning on the day of the switch and then check-in at night. You may want to call in advance to let them know that you'll be checking in later (which should not be any problem) and they may allow you to check baggage in the morning in advance of your check-in later. Unfortunately, I doubt that full check-in would be allowed very early in the morning.

Finally, you could also get the Hyatt for $90 for 12/1-5, then combine that with a more expensive downtown hotel for the first two nights, which would likely then average to around $130-135, depending on the hotel. That would be more expensive, but would not require a trip in from the burbs. For example, if you were able to get the Hyatt for $90 for 12/1-5 on HOTWIRE, you could then go to Orbitz and get the Hyatt regular rate for $221.38 per night (which requires coupon code ORBITZ5), then that would average out to $133 and change per night for the stay and not have to require a change of hotel.

If you stayed in the suburbs for the first two nights for $45-60, then you're looking at around $70-80 average per night for the entire trip, plus free parking the first two nights.

Finally, you could also bid for downtown for 12/1-5 on PRICELINE to see if you could get those nights at a 4* even cheaper than $90, although there's no way of guessing which 4* property may accept.

Let us know your thoughts and then we would be happy to offer additional suggestions. Additionally, please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or Orbitz links to start your purchases and searches.

Ok, I like the idea of staying in the burbs the first 2 nights. Then, we can drive into the city in the morning, and get to a downtown hotel location for the 1-5. For staying in the burbs I would like a 3 1/2 or 4*. Which region should I bid in?

Then, I will attempt to just bid dec 1-5 downtown, and hope for the best that I can get cheaper than 90$ night. If not. I will go with the HOTWIRE. I will just try to find the cheapest parking option I can...

In terms of taking the Metra from the suburbs to downtown, some trains come into Ogilvie Transit Center, while some come in at Union Station, which is a block or so South of Ogilvie. This is really not very far from Merchandise Mart. However, in terms of the Loop in general once you get to 10pm at night, I'd suggest using a cab. It would be a very quick cab ride - just a few minutes, especially later at night when there's not a ton of people around - from the Mart to either of those stations. It's just that the Loop can be VERY quiet later into the evening, and it's not a bad idea to take a cab late at night even if you are staying downtown.

I'd suggest staying in the North burbs in terms of the suburban options. In terms of the suburbs, would you be looking for a 4*, or would you be more interested in a 3/3.5*, given that you're going to be downtown most of the day?

The Hyatt isn't right by the Mart, but it wouldn't be too far and is centrally located in the downtown area. That property was recently renovated - it's a massive convention-oriented property.

When searching for 12/1-5, I'm seeing a 4* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville zone on HOTWIRE for $90 w/Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Spa. That would likely be the Hyatt.

In terms of switching hotels, what you could do is drive downtown early in the morning on the day of the switch and then check-in at night. You may want to call in advance to let them know that you'll be checking in later (which should not be any problem) and they may allow you to check baggage in the morning in advance of your check-in later. Unfortunately, I doubt that full check-in would be allowed very early in the morning.

Finally, you could also get the Hyatt for $90 for 12/1-5, then combine that with a more expensive downtown hotel for the first two nights, which would likely then average to around $130-135, depending on the hotel. That would be more expensive, but would not require a trip in from the burbs. For example, if you were able to get the Hyatt for $90 for 12/1-5 on HOTWIRE, you could then go to Orbitz and get the Hyatt regular rate for $221.38 per night (which requires coupon code ORBITZ5), then that would average out to $133 and change per night for the stay and not have to require a change of hotel.

If you stayed in the suburbs for the first two nights for $45-60, then you're looking at around $70-80 average per night for the entire trip, plus free parking the first two nights.

Finally, you could also bid for downtown for 12/1-5 on PRICELINE to see if you could get those nights at a 4* even cheaper than $90, although there's no way of guessing which 4* property may accept.

Let us know your thoughts and then we would be happy to offer additional suggestions. Additionally, please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or Orbitz links to start your purchases and searches.

Ok 12/1 - 12/5 I got the Hyatt Regency, Millenium Park 4 * $70 per night.

Now I have to try to get a room for 11/29 - 11/30

Congrats on your success. :)

That is an awesome win for this property for this period! Regular rate is $179, so more than half off. In terms of parking, there's the Millennium Park lot a few blocks South of the hotel, as well as the Navy Pier lot. The NP lot is further away, but a nice stroll - there's a stairway across the street and then a bit East from the Hyatt that goes down to Columbus below - then take Columbus a block North to Illinois and Illinois East to Navy Pier. At the corner of Illinois and McClurg is Fox and Obel Market and Cafe, which is a nice spot for breakfast (lunch/dinner, as well) and the gourmet market is a nice place to pick up snacks/treats.

This Hyatt property was also recently renovated.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

In terms of the North 'burbs, I recommend the 4* level in the North Shore zone (the "knowns" at the 4* level in that zone being the Westin North Shore or Renaissance North Shore) or the 3.5* level in the Deerfield zone (3.5* is the max in the latter zone.)

I'd actually recommend the 3.5* level in the Deerfield zone a bit more highly. The "known" (reported to the board) 3.5*'s in the Deerfield zone are the Hyatt Deerfield, Marriott Suites Deerfield and Embassy Suites Deerfield. All three are suites (although the Hyatt is "junior suites". In the case of the Hyatt or Embassy Suites, I'd suggest this Metra station, while the nearest Metra to the Marriott is this station. You can see the schedule for this particular Metra line here. While the Marriott got one noticeably negative review on tripadvisor recently and the Embassy gets somewhat mixed reviews, I've definitely enjoyed stays at both properties.

As noted above, the Metra trains are much more comfortable (conductors, two floors, more "Amtrak-like") than CTA trains, especially for longer-rides. The ride from the stations above to downtown is about 42-50 minutes, depending on the train.

If you were to bid for a 3.5* in the Deerfield zone, I'd start at $45 and move up by $5's (if $45 isn't accepted, $50, if $50 isn't accepted $55, etc.)

I'm seeing what appears to be the 4* Renaissance or Westin North Shore for $76 on HOTWIRE; I'm guessing a 4* bid in the North Shore zone would take $55-60, although I'd start at $50.

Downtown is definitely expensive for the first couple of nights. I think you're looking at as much as $155-185 for a 4* in the River North-NMA or Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park zones on PRICELINE, although I'd start at $135 and work higher by $5's. The Hyatt would be $221 and change via Orbitz (using the ORBITZ5 coupon) and the new Public Hotel (formerly one of the city's most historic hotels, recently turned into a boutique by famed hotel designer/operator Ian Schrager) is $215 on special on Expedia.

Please let us know your thoughts in terms of staying in the city or 'burbs (and if you have any questions) and we would be happy to offer suggestions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE, Expedia, Orbitz or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]