Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Waldorf Astoria

norwegianwife
By norwegianwife,
in

Hello! WE will be in New York City August 10 through the 13. We need 2 rooms. I have seen a lot of sucess with the Waldorf Astoria in MTE near these dates for around 120 dollars. Prior to this posting, I checked their website and for our night the web rates start at 215 dollars. Would like help with a bidding strategy to try and get the cheapest rate for a 4* property (the waldorf, although I know there are no gurantees with properties on priceline!). Thinking I would start at 120 in MTE, if rejected, add MTW and raise bid by 10 dollars? What do you think and reccommend? Hoping for those great summer prices in NYC!!!

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I wouldn't bid as you describe above... we'll suggest a strategy.

A few questions in order for us to do so:

1) what is more important, trying for the Waldorf or price (ie- just as an example, would you prefer the Waldorf at $145 or a different 4* hotel for $120?)

2) what is your maximum bid

3) besides MTE and MTW, will you also bid UM/CPS (these are the three zones 'tourists' bid most)

4) are you familiar with PRICELINE RE-BIDDING (you have 2 re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in NYC)

Let us know the above, or if you have questions, and we'll move forward from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

No, not set on the Waldorf! Just have seen a lot of success around our dates for 120! So ANY 4 star we can get for that price would be great! I would like our MAX bid to be 145 as taxes will add to that. Not to keen on being a 'typical' tourist and wouldn't mind staying in more residential areas. We really have no 'MUST HAVE' areas that we want to stay in! Was considering DTFD as well. Yes, I am familiar with the free re-bids. I tried a few days ago and think we got accepted at 130, but then Priceline said an error occured with our credit card! We live in Norway, so it's not an american card, but i thought i had entered the information cleverly enough to 'fool' priceline. (for state i put california with a 99999 zip code. had read that works) Any ideas on that?? Looking forward to hearing back!! After NY we have the entire coast of California to plan! yippee!

You have two re-bid zones available at the 4* level.

This is how i would bid:

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Bid $115, if rejected add MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add MTW...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $135.

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that based upon your previous bids this should be enough, but if not, it's still early so i think the above is worth a try.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am also from Norway, and my VISA did not work on Priceline.com, or Priceline.co.uk. You might try MasterCard (I've read about others that had better luck with this card), or do like me, use the Hong Kong based Priceline (priceline.com.hk). They will accept your VISA. You will bid in Hong Kong dollars, but that is no problem. 100 Hong Kong Dollars is about NOK 84,-

Best Regards

TommyL

Third try used this formula so to speak:

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Bid $115, if rejected add MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add MTW...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $135.

I bid 140 on the last one and was accepted at the Waldorf Astoria! We are very happy. We know it has gotten some bad reviews on Trip Advisor about being run down and old, but hey, it is a NYC legend! We are looking forward to it!! Thanks for all of your help!

Will be looking to book the California leg next, Sandiego, Los Angeles, San francisco and Sonoma...

Priceline Results:

Your Dates: August 10-13 2005

Your Offer Price: $140.00

Number of Rooms: 2

Number of Nights: 3

Subtotal: $840.00

Taxes & Service Fees:

$153.98

Total Charges: $993.98

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]