Hotwire Hotel: 3* Chicago (Mag Mile-Streeterville) Inn of Chicago

Gambit3
By Gambit3,
in

Hello,

I need some help with hotels for 10/15/11 to 10/19/11. Here is the situation:

1. Found out wife is 2 months pregnant :) , so we decided to try and get one of our destinations (Chicago) off the bucket list.

2. Got plane tickets, landing at O'Hare on the 15th.

3. Wanting (-ed?) to visit as many of the Chicago museums inside/near the loop.

4. We'll be without a car.

5. Tried unsuccessfully inside the loop for 3.5 stars up to $110 using the PRICELINE link above and rebids.

6. Considering suburbs, with train to downtown. Two problems with those:

a) Many hotels brag about being within "walking distance" to a train station, but walking distance often turns out to be a mile or so, and for a pregnant woman, that's not easy.

:) Getting to a hotel in the burbs from O'Hare adds an extra layer of complexity.

Questions:

1. Other than inside the Loop, or just above it (I think it's called Michigan Ave?), I think the need for being close to rail limits my Priceline options. Would this be a correct assumption?

2. I'm currently looking at the Comfort Inn in Aurora Illinois, which is literally next to a Metra station, but I'm wondering if that's too far. Do you know of any burb hotels REALLY close to train stations? Maybe a block or two.

3. I'm going to try and split the 4 days into two days and try and rebid that way. Any other suggestions?

4. Thank you for reading this far, and thank you in advance for your responses.

Good morning and Congrats! :)

A few thoughts:

Most suburbs are really very nice and hotels are usually more reasonably priced. However, few hotels are right near a train station - and when you're using HOTWIRE and PRICELINE there's no way to guarantee a particular property, so there's no way to ensure a hotel right near a train station - and the suburbs are really best with a car.

I particularly recommend the North 'burbs, which are very nice and have a wide variety of restaurants and shopping. There's also some sights in the North Burbs, such as the village of Long Grove (quaint, old-fashioned little village) and the Chicago Botanic Gardens ('burbs, despite the name).

I'm seeing what appears to be the Embassy Suites Deerfield in the North burbs for $75 on HOTWIRE, but you could likely get a comparably rated hotel on PRICELINE for less.

The Metra trains (metrarail.com) head from downtown to the burbs, but the issue would be that you'd have to go downtown from O'hare, then all the way back out. If you went to Aurora, that's a far train ride and on the last day if you didn't have a car, you'd have to go all the way downtown, then all the way out to the airport or take a fairly costly cab. It's just too complex/a huge hassle.

Downtown, the Millennium-Loop-Grant Park and NMA-River North zones are next to each other and both are fine options to stay downtown. Unfortunately though, rates do look expensive for these dates - what would be your desired budget per night for this stay?

Overall, downtown is expensive but convenient; the suburbs would be quite a bit cheaper but are really best with a car, as it's too hard to get from O'Hare to downtown and then out to the suburbs, etc. If you were to rent a car, you'd have a wide variety of cheaper (and nicer) suburban options.

I would definitely not stay out by Aurora, though - that's just wayyy too far out. A non-express train from Aurora to downtown is probably over 75 minutes.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Congratulations! :)

For Priceline, add the North Michigan Ave - River North Area. There are lots of hotels there and it is a fairly short walk to the Grand or Chicago stations on the Red Line. Tons of shopping and eating options. I stayed in the area two years ago (Marriott Magnificent Mile) and really enjoyed the atmosphere. Easy to get to most of the museums by subway, walking, or taxi. The Museum of Science and Industry is further south and requires a bus ride or a cab.

Hotwire has a $201 3.5* hotel in that same general area and also a $216 4* hotel. Obviously above your price point, but that gives you an idea of the rates out there.

I'd recommend spending the extra $$$ and staying downtown vs. the suburbs - you'll end up wasting a lot of time every day on the commuter trains and some of the train stations in Chicago are not particularly convenient to tourist attractions.

Also, I highly recommend the Chicago Architecture Foundation boat tour - well worth the price and perfect if you want to do some sightseeing while off your feet. We really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the quick and helpful response.

I guess Aurora is off the list.

I'm looking for max of $700 for all 4 nights of lodging. I guess that tops out my Priceline bids at $150 or so. I haven't gotten that high up yet, but I'm planning on doing that today. I also thing my asking for 4 consecutive nights might be hampering my success. I'd be willing to split them up into two two-day stays if that would help.

I used the bidding method that theruare outlined here http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=142003&

Also, I'm working the math if getting a hotel in the burbs for under/around $100/night and then renting a car might be an option. Parking downtown might be an issue, but I guess that's where the train comes in, huh?

In that regard, I might be open to car rental advice as well.

Thank you once again in advance.

I'll also note that 10/16-19 (and especially 10/17-19; the first two nights of this stay appear more expensive) appears mildly cheaper, so you could most likely grab a cheaper win for these dates, and search for another alternative for the first night, whether downtown or by O'Hare, depending on your desired budget. I see what I'd guess to be the Inn of Chicago for $103 on HOTWIRE for 10/16-19; searching for 10/15-19, it shows up at $151.

The potential Inn of Chicago option is also showing for $104 for the last pair of nights.

I would also highly suggest taking a look at this City of Chicago website, which offers coupons for attractions around the city;

http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/supp..._Discounts.html

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Unfortunately this is a very common amenity set in this area and the Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express Cass, Holiday Inn Mart Plaza, Inn of Chciago, and River Hotel have all been seen with this amenity set, so any of these would be likely. Of these i think the Holiday Inn Express Cass or the Inn of Chicago are the more likely of the bunch, but you should be prepared for any of these.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and/or what you decide or if we can be of further help with this leg of your trip.

PS- congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congrats on your success. :)

Very nice deal for this very well-located property. Please let us know if you have any city questions at all. Additionally, please start a new thread and we would be happy to help with the additional night.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]