Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Myrtle Beach Westgate Oceanfront Resort

bluepig
By bluepig,
in

After trying Priceline (with your link) and using free rebids unsuccessfully from $50 all the way up to $99 on a Resort for the weekend of 10/14-10/17 (3 nights), I'm trying Hotwire before going above $100.

Appreciate any help you can provide to identify the following properties that do not appear to match anything currently on your list unless some of the 3* properties have been re-levelled as 3.5*.

Prices shown are quoted for 3 adults.

3.5* Myrtle Beach area hotel - $55/night

Resort, Beachfront, Oceanfront, Smoke Free, Fitness, Pool, Laundry, HS Internet, Golf

3.5* Myrtle Beach area condo - $78/night

Condo, Beachfront, Studio, AC, Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, 24 hr front desk

3.5* Myrtle Beach North area condo - $82/night

Condo, Near beach, Studio, Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Laundry, Golf

*Recommended in 85% of Hotwire Customer Reviews*

All of the 3.5* properties in Myrtle Beach area and Myrtle Beach North area currently on your Hotwire hotel list have "tennis" as an amenity which is not listed here.

I will use your HOTWIRE link to book if/when the time comes.

Thanks!!

bluepig,

For each of the above, if you go back to HOTWIRE and click the CONTINUE button next to each offering and then click the "See all " link on top of the icons, do you see more amenities than what you've listed above?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare -

No additional amenities for the first hotel are listed.

The second hotel listed has a complete list of amenities:

3.5* Myrtle Beach area condo - $78/night

Condo, Beachfront, Studio, AC, Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, 24 hr front desk, Laundry

(Laundry is the new amenity added)

The third hotel listed has a complete list of amenities:

3.5* Myrtle Beach North area condo - $82/night

Condo, Near beach, Studio, Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Laundry, Golf, Tennis

*Recommended in 85% of Hotwire Customer Reviews*

So the addition of tennis seems to cloud the issue a little!

Thanks!

Unfortunately none of these properties have yet been reported to the board with the amenities indicated, and with so many smaller and independent properties in this area, i don't think we'll be able to gain much insight into these.

Let us know whatever you decide to do for this stay or if we can be of further help.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So using your HOTWIRE link, we did end up booking the property showing the following amenities. It's a new property not previously shown on your Hotel List, so please add this to your list.

3.5* Myrtle Beach area condo

10/14-10/17

$82/night

Beachfront Property

Studio

Air-Conditioning

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

24-hour Front Desk

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

Condo

Unfortunately the posted rate on the Westgate's website for a studio is $89 per night (i.e. this was not a very good deal and frankly I could have done better than Hotwire's rate with my AAA discount). I've tried calling Hotwire to complain but so far they were not receptive.

Sorry to hear this wasn't much of a deal, but the recent reviews for this property are mostly quite positive so hopefully it will surpass your expectations.

Thank you for using the HOTWIRE link on the board to begin your purchase and for sharing your results, helping us add this property to the Hotwire Hotel List.

Enjoy your stay... let us know how it is upon your return.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from our trip; here's a quick review on the Westgate.

Overall, 3.5* is probably generous. The room itself was nice, and the king bed quite comfortable (nice bedding/duvet). The kitchenette and bathroom seemed relatively new (lots of granite and stainless steel and a nice waterfall shower). The queen sofabed was broken, which was an issue, since we'd paid extra for our third person (Hotwire charged I believe $8 extra per night for the third person we booked the reservation for vs when I had looked for price quotes for 2 people). After complaining to the front desk they sent up an extra foam pad, which didn't really solve the issue. The walls are thin - we heard a number of conversations from our next door neighbor.

Parking is free for guests, but Friday and Saturday nights were quite full so we actually had to park in the overflow lot across/down the street (a bit inconvenient). The room only had 1 mirror, in the bathroom, which made it a little difficult for the 2 people NOT in the bathroom to get ready. There was no iron/ironing board in the room (I suppose we could have asked the front desk but we did not).

Two things which surprised me -- 1) HSIA was not free (the hotel website indicates $9.99 per day but when I called the hotel they indicated it was free for condos); talking with the desk agent she ended up setting it up for free for us; 2) although it was very "hotel" feeling, the condo tower does not apparently come with daily housekeeping. They brought ample fresh towels upon request, but housekeeping apparently is either once a week or twice a week (but no housekeeping occurred during the 3 days we stayed). I don't mind not having daily housekeeping; somehow I just didn't expect not having it.

Fortunately -- despite the fact that the Hotwire amenities list indicated a studio, our reservation was actually for a 1 bedroom oceanview -- which retails for $139/night, so at least I felt like we did have decent savings. The property itself is good for families - lots of activities. We enjoyed the heated pool and heated lazy river -- although it was 80 degrees, the heated pool was still welcome as the water in the ocean was too cold for swimming. It's literally on the beach, so getting to the beach couldn't have been more convenient.

Overall - it was an ok-to-good property. We got a good price, got a decent quality room for what we paid. Had there only been 2 of us in the room we wouldn't have noticed the crappy sofabed. But it wasn't quite what I'd call 3.5* accomodations.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]