Priceline Hotel: Need help Oct 19-22 in Santa Monica or nearby

lazymofo
By lazymofo,
in

We are two couples (need 2 rooms) taking a vacation in LA for 3 nights. We would like to visit Santa Monica, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Malibu. We will have a car. We would love to get lucky and find a place with free hot breakfast and parking but it is not an absolute requirement.

Can you help me come up with a strategy for bidding? Budget is $80-$100/night

Tried 3.5* Westwood $70, Added Culver $72, Added Lawndale $75, Added Inglewood $78, added Santa Monica $80. NO GO.

Added 3* $55, Added Hollywood $60, Added Beverly Hills $65, Added Redondo $55, Added LAX $59...Still NO GO.

Now I'm pretty much locked out for the day. How's my strategy? Did I do anything wrong?

Since I'm willing to go down to 2.5*, should I use HOTWIRE instead?

For PRICELINE, at each star level, exactly which zones are you willing to accept?

You can search HOTWIRE to see if anything appears within your desired zones, star rating and budget, but keep in mind that at times HOTWIRE can be a little more generous in terms of star rating... so a 3* HOTWIRE could be a 3* on PRICELINE... or it could also be rated 2.5* on PRICELINE; so it's not always an apples-to-apples comparison. Is anything on HOTWIRE of interest?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm willing to do 2.5 stars in Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City, and Westwood.

Honestly, the Holiday Inn Express in Hawthorne is going for $85/night with my AAA discount and it includes free hot breakfast, free parking, and free wifi. Since I have a car, I'm leaning towards just booking that considering with both priceline and hotwire, I don't know if the hotel I get will include free parking which sometimes costs $30/day.

Any thoughts?

I recently won (Sept 19-21) a 3 star in Marina Del Rey for $85/night. It was the Marina Del Rey Hotel and it was nice with a great location and free parking. I think Marina Del Rey is much nicer than Hawthorne so you might want to think about trying to bid just the Santa Monica-Marina Del Rey area on Priceline if you want to try and get this hotel.

The total for me including taxes and fees was $204.32 for two nights.

Just an FYI, the hotel is listed as 3 star but I think that is mainly for the location (which, in LA, means a lot and it is a good location). I would be more inclined to give it 2 1/2 stars. The hotel is older and some of the furnishings are a bit worn. Little things like low water pressure get on my nerves but this hotel is clean and in a nice area!!. They still have the older type TV so no flat panel TV's in the rooms. You will save some money with free internet and the free parking but no free breakfast (and no room safes which I usually like to have available).

I am actually going to be back in LA from Oct. 27-31 and would not be disappointed at all if I won this hotel again.

Good luck.

I recently won (Sept 19-21) a 3 star in Marina Del Rey for $85/night.
mgmtrnr,

Can you please share your win with the board so that the information can help others, and also follow-up your previous Hotwire Paris thread with whatever you ended up doing for that stay.

Please use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future bidding, searches and travel purchases.

I'm willing to do 2.5 stars in Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City, and Westwood.

Honestly, the Holiday Inn Express in Hawthorne is going for $85/night...

lazymofo,

Based upon the additional information above, do you want to try for a 2.5* in the zones you have listed OR go with the Holiday Inn Express. If you do choose to book direct, please use the board's Holiday Inn Express link, as also found in our support page.

Let us know what you decide and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]