Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Hilton New York

retfar
By retfar,
in

Hi there. I am going to New York Oct 9-16. I would appreciate some assistance. I would prefer to stay at MTW which is where I have always stayed. MTE if I have to, but I tend to hang around Times Square area a lot, so MTW is preferred. I was in NY two years ago and used Priceline and got 3* and 4* for $85 and $90 in June - Sheraton and Hilton MTW!

I'd appreciate some help. Here are a few things to consider...

Preferred area - MTW. MTE if I have to.

Stars - I'm ok with 3 stars. don't mind getting upgraded to 4* he he he. Should I always start with 4*? I have stayed at Milford Plaza before (which is 2*) and didn't mind it and thought it was fine. You think I should bid 2*?

Dates - October 9, Sunday to October 16, Sunday. The arrival date can't be changed but I can move the departure date to October 17, Monday. I'm not sure if arriving on a Sunday makes it harder to get a booking accepted, so I don't mind splitting the bid (I did that last time and got two great hotels).

Rates - I am guessing that the $85 and $90 I paid last time is probably out of the question for October? Or is it possible to get that low? I don't know how busy October is. If possible, I would like to pay $100 or less (but could go slightly higher if I have to, of course). I know it's only June, so I'm not sure if I should start bidding now or later.

I appreciate any help. Cheers!

J

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Your $100 limit will likely be too low.... i think you need to be a bit more realistic in your maximum bid. We haven't seen sub-$100 bids accepted in NYC in quite some time.

If that is your absolute budget then book a cancellable back-up and look again as your dates get closer.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your reply. I know expecting to pay under $100 was expecting too much. Wishful thinking on my part, I guess. Just so that I know what's more realistic and I could try bidding, could you give me a good amount I should try for a 3* or 2.5* for a month like October? Thanks.

J

What is the best rate you can find thru conventional methods?

I would suspect that $130-$150 is more realistic (a strategy would try lower bids first and gradually work our way up to these amounts), but this too may be too low since one nite of a higher rate over the 7 nite period eliminates that hotel from the possibilities.

I would also consider adding UM/CPS to the potential zones.

Let us know your maximum bid and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Again, thanks for the advice. I think if I get a room up to $140, then I'll be happy. I will add the UM/CPS to the MTE and MTW zones. Is there a particular night that is usually a higher rate because I don't mind splitting the bid so that I can book most nights at the lower rate somewhere, then booking the minimum nights at the higher price for the nights that might be more expensive.

If you can give me a suggested bidding strategy for my dates, price and zones, I will dance the happy dance. :)

Javi

I have tried several different options (to split the bid) from Oct. 9 to 14 (Sunday to Friday), tried 4*, 3*, 2.5* and zones MTW, MTE and UM/CPS. I tried Oct. 9 to 13, Oct 9 to 12, Oct 9 to 11 at all the different stars and zone options. Started at $110, went up to $115, then $120. No luck.

When splitting bids, is it best to do Monday to Friday, then maybe the weekend as a separate bid, assuming that the weekend rates will be higher? I arrive on Sunday night and leave the following Sunday or Monday (I can do either). So is that first Sunday a problem to include in a bid with Monday, Tuesday, etc?

I started the bids at $110 but am willing to start higher and go higher. I thought I'd try it anyway. Would you be able to give me a bidding strategy? Thanks.

Javi

I'd like to try splitting the bid at this stage just in case I can get cheaper rates for certain dates - I am thinking that if one of the nights is at a higher rate, then it might cause the whole thing to be rejected. I am also not leaving for 3 1/2 months, so if I try for the lower amount first and splitting the bid, I might get lucky. So if you could help me with a bidding strategy, I'd be very grateful.

Is October 9 a public holiday in the US? My friend says this is the Columbus Day weekend. Is this correct?

Javi

Is October 9 a public holiday in the US? My friend says this is the Columbus Day weekend. Is this correct?

http://www.opm.gov/fedhol/2005.asp

Columbus Day is observed on the second Monday in October (October 10 this year) so yes, you are looking at Columbus Day weekend. It is not observed by everyone; for example stock markets are open. That said, one of the bigger NYC parades is that weekend. In general it seems to be a bigger deal in the northeast than in other parts of the country.

I split my dates because of the public holiday on October 10. I was worried I wouldn't get a hotel on those days.

So I bid for 2 nights (Oct 9-11) at 4 star MTW at $150 and won the bid at the Hilton New York 1335 Avenue of the Americas.

Now I have to book for Tuesday Oct 11 to Monday Oct 17. Because there's a weekend involved, should I split this and bid for Tuesday to Thursday, then bid separately for Friday to Monday? Maybe a lower bid for Tuesday to Thursday, then a higher bid for the weekend dates?

Javi

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]