Priceline Hotel: Hong Kong advice please

Aaron T
By Aaron T,
in

I will have a 1 night layover in HK - arrivng at 11 pm and flight the next morning at 9 am. The Regal Airport hotel is too expensive at $160 on discount sites.

Where can I stay that will be easy to get to and from the airport and not a lot of $$$ as I am finishing a month long trip in Asia and money is tight?? Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I've spent the night in the HKG airport with a longer overnight (16 hours) than that. You have to clear customs for the night, unless you already have your onward boarding pass or you can convince someone at the transfer desk to let you through. There are two sets of bigscreen TVs each surrounded by a dozen or so chairs at each end of the checkin area. I can't sleep in such a situation but I did spend the night reading. Other people have this idea as well, so all the chairs might be taken by the time you get there.

It helps if you have access to an airport lounge in the morning so you can take a shower (both SQ's and UA's lounges have showers, and I'm sure at least one of the OneWorld clubs has a shower, too). Also consider checking in as early as possible, because airside is generally more pleasant than landside at HKG.

This might not be an option for you, but flights back from HKG are an ordeal to start with, and it wasn't worth dealing with transportation to and from the airport, etc. For an 11-hour flight or whatever I try to delay all my sleeping until I'm on the plane.

Alternatively, HKG does have two hotel reservation desks, one at each exit right after customs. I've had good luck with them in the past, although at that late an hour all the cheap rooms might be taken, or they might be closed for the night. If you use them do not automatically take the first rate they give you; ask if there's anything cheaper.

Hey, you did ask.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]