Priceline Hotel: Chicago-Boystown Area 10/3-10/5

temptar
By temptar,
in

Good evening everyone,

I want to first apologize if I am posting this request in the wrong place. This is my very first post here and I want to make sure I am doing things correctly.

There are 4 of us traveling to Chicago 9/3/2011 departing 9/5/2011.

We will need 2 rooms with 1 bed in each room being adequate. (I have never stayed in a 4* or higher hotel so that would make this trip phenominal)

We would like to stay in or very near Boystown, however, I am not totally sure which area this falls into. Halstead/Belmont is one intersection nearby.

City Suites, Hawthorne Inn Best Western are 2 Hotels I am aware of in the area.

Can anyone give me guidance as to whether Hotwire or Priceline would be my best bet?

Since these nights are during the week is there any idea what type of bid might be a good starting point?

I have heard that if I bid and it is rejected by Priceline I can wait a few days and possibly be contacted by Priceline offering my an alternate rate.

Again I apologize in advance if I am in the wrong place please let me know.

On PRICELINE this area is included in the Lincoln Park zone... on HOTWIRE it is in the Lake View-Lincoln Park-Wrigley zone.

As far as which is 'better' depends upon your needs... PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper then HOTWIRE, but HOTWIRE gives you some clues about the hotel before your purchase such as the amenities offered and often reviews; you can use this information to take an educated guess as to the property you may receive. So if lowest price is the goal, then PRICELINE is usually the better option... if you'd like to ensure that the hotel has certain amenities (pool, complimentary breakfast, etc) and/or be able to take a guess as to what hotel you might receive, then HOTWIRE is the better, although slightly more expensive, option.

Futhermore, the highest rating offered in the PRICELINE zone above is 2.5*, and a search of HOTWIRE for your dates shows a 2* at $85, a 2.5* at $105, and a 3* at $126... unfortunately all over your the $50 you mention as your target price.

I'll let AaronJB add any information he may have regarding the area and some of your options, but you'll likely need to re-adjust your thinking in terms of star rating and/or budget (and/or consider other nearby zones)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The "near-North" neighborhoods (represented within the Lakeview-Lincoln Park-Wrigley zone on HOTWIRE) are very nice areas, but the issue is that there's hardly any hotels. The two primaries are the Best Western Hawthorne (which is often full if the Cubs are playing) and the Days Inn Lincoln Park. There's also three boutiques (City Suites, Willows and Majestic). Given the few hotels in these areas, discounts are generally not as good as the discounts seen in the downtown area, as there's more competition in the downtown area.

This time period is usually pretty expensive, but these dates are not *quite* as bad as the period usually is. Unfortunately though, I think $50 is not likely going to be enough for downtown or Lincoln Park. $50 (or less, especially at the 2.5/3* level) would likely be no problem in the 'burbs (although I'd only suggest the burbs if you're driving), but I think it's going to be a bit short in the city, unfortunately - I think you may be able to get a 3* downtown in the $70-75 neighborhood. I'd suggest against bidding lower than 2.5* in either of the downtown areas - River North/NMA or Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 9 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]