Priceline Hotel: 4* DC (Convention Center-Capitol Hill) Hotel Monaco

MF62
By MF62,
in

Hello - I'm new to this site - though have been reading lots of previous posts to get tips on how to bid etc and have had a few bids, albeit unsuccessful, to get a feel for how it works. I've used the link to PRICELINE on this site as requested.

I am looking for a hotel in Washington DC in the Foggy Bottom, or similar, area. The dates are a bit flexible still, but around 4 nights somewhere between 20 Feb - 29 Feb. I am hoping to pay no more than $150. I've checked out the successful bids for last Feb and it seem it should be possible to get something for that amount. So far, I have bid up to $115 unsuccessfully but I see that last year people were getting 4* for around $70. Am I bidding too early? I've cheched Hotwire and they have 4* in Capitol Hill area for $108.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I am looking for a hotel in Washington DC in the Foggy Bottom, or similar, area.
Exactly which areas, and for which dates, have you bid already and are there any others which are acceptable?
I have bid up to $115 unsuccessfully but I see that last year people were getting 4* for around $70.. I've cheched Hotwire and they have 4* in Capitol Hill area for $108.
Is HOTWIRE's Capital Hill zone not acceptable, for if it is, it wouldn't' seem to make sense to bid up to $115 on PRICELINE when HOTWIRE is offering a similarly rated hotel for $108 (unless you've tried to identify the HOTWIRE hotel and it's a 3.5* property on PRICELINE)

Let us know the above and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My first bid was for 02/25/2012 - 02/29/2012 in the Georgetown - Foggy Bottom area, 4-Star for $110. The next day in I increased the bid to $115, that was unsuccessful, so I added the Dupont Circle - Woodley Park area and bidded $115, and that was unsuccessful.

I then thought "Maybe I need some advice as I may be doing something wrong" - I couldn't find Foggy Bottom on Hotwire as a comparison, which is why I used the Capitol Hill area an an example.

I've never been to the US before and don't have any real preference for areas- the only reason I was trying for Foggy Bottom is that it was recommended as a convenient place for seeing all the main sites.

Any advice would be appreciated

Well Foggy Bottom is not one of the most frequently bid zones in the Washington DC area. The most popular zones are:

White House - Downtown

Convention Center - Capitol Hill

Dupont Circle - Woodley Park

Any thoughts on these zones?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the suggestions of:

White House - Downtown

Convention Center - Capitol Hill

Dupont Circle - Woodley Park

Any of these would be ok. I am mainly interested in being close to the major attractions and these areas all meet that criteria.

If you are able to assist with a bidding strategy I would be grateful. I am not sure of the dates, but will be four days somewhere between 19 - 29 February 2012.

I will continue to use the links on this site.

thanks.

...at the moment I am leaning towards 21 - 25 Feb.

Rates are date specific, so any bidding strategy may differ from one set of dates to the next... are you ready to bid (and commit to a non-refundable purchase) for 2/21-2/25 at this time?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

My dates are now set, and your assistance with a booking strategy would be appreciated.

I am looking for a 4* in any of the following areas for 4 nights from 25 Feb - 29 Feb 2012:

White House - Downtown - 1st Preference

Convention Center - Capitol Hill - 2nd Preference

Dupont Circle - Woodley Park - 3rd Preference

I am willing to spend up to $100 per night. If I can't get 4* I would consider 3.5*.

I will use the link to PRICELINE on this site as requested.

Thanks

Are you willing to pay more to stay in the White House zone vs. the Convention Center zone vs. Dupont Circle... OR is your goal the least expensive 4* hotel in any of the three zones?

Let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

I think your budget should be fine and i would begin with the following:

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* White House Downtown...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $83, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Convention Center...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $83, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* White House and Convention Center...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I got Monaco Washington DC for $95
Congratulations on your success!

A very nice deal for this well reviewed hotel. As well, if your not familiar with the Monaco (a Kimpton property), all the Kimpton hotels offer an evening wine reception which is a nice way to end the day and/or start an evening out.

Glad to see you're pleased with the results and are looking forward to your stay.

Enjoy your stay.

The moderators are amazing.
Thanks for your kind words. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]