Priceline Hotel: 2.5* San Francisco (Civic Center South-Hayes Valley) Best Western C.I.

schparrow
By schparrow,
in

Hi folks,

First time poster here. I will be using the betterbidding link to book through PRICELINE.

I'm looking for a strategy for USE/USW for a 2* or 2.5*, hoping to max at $75.

Checking in October 6th 2011, checking out October 10th 2011.

I'm not terribly picky but I am looking for a good location. Free wi-fi would of course be a big bonus.

Any tips/strategies would be much appreciated.

Cheers to the mods for all that you do here!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Are you willing to pay more for a higher rated hotel OR is your goal the least expensive 2.5* or better? (ie- did you want to try up to your limit first for a 2.5* property OR start by bidding for the least expensive 2* or better for this stay)

Let us know and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My max I wish to spend is $75, so I guess basically I want the best hotel for no more than $75, in those areas. Are there any *really bad* 2 stars in the area that anyone knows of? I would avoid REALLY BAD, as in beat down, sketchy, old, decrepit discusting hotels, but I'm perfectly fine with a clean 2* in a good location.

This board sees virtually zero 2* bidding Downtown. As high as Downtown prices have been this summer I'm surprised we don't see more. The only 2* reported--Hotel Diva (USW) and the Baldwin (USE)--are well reviewed as 2* go, with 4/5 TripAdvisor ratings. Something new could come up for the first time too, or a current 2.5* could be downgraded. If Priceline has something "beat down, sketchy, old, decrepit discusting" hopefully it's rated 1*.

You're bidding expensive dates and even the 2* are high. Baldwin is $159 and Diva $246. If you can win either of those for $75 or less you're getting a good deal.

Hotwire has a 2* in USE for $112 and a 1* in USW for $96.

There are no rebid zones for 2*. I suggest this, starting with the PRICELINE link:

1) Bid $50 for 2* in USW.

If rejected exit, close browser, reaccess PRICELINE, and

2) Bid $50 for 2* in USE. If rejected...

3) Add USW and bid $55.

If rejected wait 24 hours and repeat the above at $60/$65. Wait 24 hours again and repeat at $70/$75.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I've expanded my areas, and my limit. I'm now up to $90 for 2* bids in the following areas with nothing accepting yet:

Fisherman's Wharf

SOMA - Moscone Center

Financial District - Embarcadero

Union Square East

Union Square West - Nob Hill

And I'm up to $100 for 3* bids in the following areas with nothing accepted yet:

Marina - Lombard Street

South San Francisco

Fisherman's Wharf

SOMA - Moscone Cente

Civic Center South - Hayes Valley

Union Square East

Union Square West - Nob Hill

SFO North - San Bruno

Japan Town - Civic Center North

Financial District - Embarcadero

At this rate I will soon be booking a hostel :/

HOTWIRE has a 2* in USE for $113 that looks like the well-regarded Baldwin:

Boutique, Smokefree, Business, Highspeed.

You've bid to $90 for 2* in USE on Priceline, and I think you may be within $10 of a win there, if the Baldwin interests you.

You could also try for a 2.5* in Civic Center South. The 2.5* Whitcomb is next door to the 3* Holiday Inn. If HI's location was allright with you Whitcomb's location should be too.

The 2* Good Hotel in Civic Center South is also a viable choice.

Just curious, how much does a hostel cost for these dates?

Because I felt nothing was ever going to happen within my budget, I started to bid up to $135 (my absolute max after discussing with my girlfriend), and searched 3*'s and up in Civic Centre South - Hayes Valley, Financial District Embarcadero, Fishermans Wharf, Marina Lombard, SOMA Moscone Centre, USE, and USW. No luck.

I dropped the star level down to 2.5 and searched the same zones and got the Best Western Carriage Inn in Civic Centre South - Hayes Valley for $120.

Apparently not the best area, but close to transit, has a jacuzzi, access to the Best Western pool across the street, free wifi...so that will work for us.

Overall I am happy with it given how expensive SF is, but I think someone could probably get this somewhere closer to the $100 mark than the $120, I was getting a bit frustrated when I decided to bid the $120 on the 2.5*'s but it took it right away.

Should I post another thread about the win?

Thank you for all your help!

Sorry to see this win proved to be so difficult, but at least you now have it settled and it appears this property should work ok for your plans.

Given your previous rejection at $100 at the 2.5* level in this zone at least you know this wouldn't have gone for too much less.

Thank you for using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding and for sharing your results, helping us add this property to the Priceline Hotel List. No need to start a new topic, we've edited the topic title of this thread to reflect your win.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]