Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* State College Holiday Inn Express Williamsburg Square

wooby
By wooby,
in

I am thinking about bidding on a room for my stay in October (2nd-5th-non football weekend). I have seen a lot of negative reviews for the Atherton and since I'll be there for a few nights and it's for a conference I would like to have a nice stay. Would you all recommend not bidding on a 3 star since it's possible I would get the Atherton. Which hotels usually accept these bids and which hotels are the 2 1/2 star in that area. I don't really get to go on vacations so these conferences are kind of a vacation for me so it's important that I stay at a decent place. Thanks!!

I have been following that strategy in State College since the Atherton became a 3* possibility in the South zone. I never stayed at the Atherton, but was relying on some negative comments made about that hotel on these boards. I believe the 2.5* hotels reported in the North zone are in the Williamsburg Square area - Springhill Suites, Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn (just recently reported). I have stayed in the Springhill Suites - all three get fairly good reviews. There are also a few restaurants in Williamsburg Square as well - Olive Garden and Outback that I can recall. The other reported 3* in the South zone were Courtyard and Residence Inn. There is no guarantee that you would get any of these hotels in bidding in either zone as star ratings sometime change and additions to the Priceline hotels in that zone can occur as well.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages.

You can see all hotels reported to the board here: Priceline Hotel List.

Bidding 2.5* isn't going to solve your issue since the star level you choose is the minimum you're willing to accept... your 2.5* bid can always be upgraded to the 3* hotel you're trying to avoid.

You can either choose the State College North zone (if that works for your plans) or consider HOTWIRE where you may be able to take a guess as to the hotel being offered (or at least determine that it's not the hotel you're trying to avoid)

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The North zone may be a bit closer to the Penn Stater - the Penn Stater is a bit east of the Northeast corner of the campus. I-99 would provide quick access from the North zone hotels to the Penn Stater which also just off of I-99. As far as quality of hotels, its just a matter of opinion - I don't think there is much difference between reported 3* hotels (excluding the Atherton) and in the South zone and reported 2.5* hotels in the North zone. The Atherton is right in the town of State College adjacent to the southwest parrt of the campus. Courtyard and Residence Inn are couple miles south of the campus. The reported 2.5* North zone hotels are probably 2-3 miles north of the campus. I think the North zone has better restaurant and shopping options than the South zone, unless you would get a hotel right in the town of State College. If you stay in the town you would have the benefit of being to walk to the stores, restaurants, bars and the campus. If you use Priceline and bid the South zone, there is no guarantee you would get a hotel in the town as the South zone extends from the south border of the campus to several miles South of the campus.

I am thinking of just booking a room at the Courtyard as it seems like a good deal through Priceline. I am kind of scared of taking a chance and getting a bad room. I have read some good reviews of the hotels in the "north" area but am still a little uncertain.

taliategan,

Thanks for the info!!

wooby,

Based upon the above let us know how you'd like to proceed.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

One last thing before I decide. Do you know what hotels are in the North area? It looks like a lot of people are getting the Hampton Inn and Springfield Suites both of which seem nice. Is this typical? Thanks!! :)

I am thinking of just booking a room at the Courtyard as it seems like a good deal through Priceline. I am kind of scared of taking a chance and getting a bad room. I have read some good reviews of the hotels in the "north" area but am still a little uncertain.

I received a Hotwire hot Rate of $61 for a room in State College area (says 0-4.5 miles from city center). It has 95% recommended rate and features a complimentary breakfast & high speed internet as the amenities. Any ideas of which hotel this is or could be? It says it's a 40% discounted rate. I'm staying for 3 nights in October and I've never done this before.

Thanks!

Decided to go with Hotwire and got $61/night at the Holiday Inn Express State College @ Williamsburg Sq. through the link on this page. Seems like a great dea! Thanks for all the tips & help. I was still a bit nervous when I clicked the link but feel like I would try it again! Thanks!!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]