Priceline Hotel: HELP: Phoenix June 12-14

TDReid
By TDReid,
in

Perhaps this question has been asked before, but I'm not in the mood to scroll through all of the messages to find out. Sorry.

As I've bee tinkering around with Priceline, I took some time to explore the "Shop and Compare" option that Priceline provides. Are the hotels which are available in the "Shop and Compare" realm the ones we're bidding on in the "Name Your Own Price" system?

For example, today (6/1) shows the Scottsdale Plaza Resort going for $79 in Priceline's "Shop and Compare" site. As of today, only 3 resorts are listed in the shop and compare site within the Scottsdale area. Does that mean that only 3 resorts are available to bid on in the "Name Your Own Price" area and that the Scottsdale Plaza Resort will probably take the bid since it's the lowest price resort in the system (Scottsdale area)?

I'm asking this because, could we use this as a hint to help us stay away from hotels/resorts we don't want to be "awarded?" What if I've stayed in the Scottsdale Plaze Resort, had a bad experience, and want to stay away from that property? Do you think the Shop and Compare site gives us a look at which hotels/resorts are in the system? Or do you think other properties are in the Name Your Own Price realm and aren't available in the Shop and Compare?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Todd

Telluride, CO

We're staying in the Phoenix area, checking in (2 rooms) on June 12 and checking out on June 14. Although we've had some success using Priceline in the Phoenix region (one example - 4* Marriott Scottsdale McDowell Mountain - $50/night), as well as some other locations around the country, I'm always looking to deepen my wisdom about the Priceline experience. We don't ride the Priceline train very much (3 or 4 times/year), so when we do, we want to be pleased with the end result...like anyone does.

The three target areas we're hoping to score a great hotel/resort are in: Carefree, Phoenix North and Tempe. Why not Scottsdale, you ask? While Scottsdale has some great hotels and resorts, it also has its fair share of mediocre resorts. For example, the Scottsdale Plaza, Millenium Scottsdale McCormick Ranch and others were lame experiences (before Priceline arrived). Although I'd love to be in the hunt for some of the Scottsdale resorts, there's the fear factor of being awarded a resort that isn't any more appealing than a 2* hotel, which Scottsdale has a handful of.

So, over the last week, we've attempted to score a stay at one of the 5*,4* and resort properties in the Carefree, North Phoenix and Tempe area. Any of the 5*/4*/resort options in these target areas are a win. Yes, we've been shooting low. Our highest bid has only been $62. But when you have some time, it doesn't hurt to attempt to score a great hotel at a low price. That's what's fun about Priceline and why we play the game, right?

I'm sure you'll suggest we raise our bids or jump into the Scottsdale area, which I'm sure we will in the next few days. But any thoughts would be appreciated.

Do note that the HILTON TAPATIO CLIFFS can be had for as low as $84/nite, so if that is one of your prefered properties of the group you may want to just take that... otherwise i wouldn't bid much more than $78 as once you do you'll start to pay more than the direct rate mentioned above once you include Priceline's fees.

I've also heard great things about the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass which you can get for $103/nite

Let us know what you decide to do and/or if we can be of additional help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I live in Phx and used to work in the resort industry. I will echo what was said above, BE VERY CAREFUL BIDDING ON SCOTTSDALE RESORTS. Scottsdale might have as good a collection of great resorts as anywhere in the country. But, it also has a bunch of aging places that I suspect are getting their butts kicked by the new properties. With Priceline only offering a resort choice, and not offering a star category for quality you would have a good chance of getting something lame. In fact, several resorts are being shut down as obsolete or no longer competitive.

There was a comment on the Shearton Wild Horse Pass. GREAT hotel. BEAUTIFUL grounds. But, remote. It is outside of town.

While I am on a roll, someone was trying to target the Squaw Peak Hilton or South Mountain Hilton. Thereuare noted a rate on the Tapatio property. WAY nicer than Squaw Peak.

Thanks for the thoughts (thereuare, jmulligan). Echoing my first post, I've stayed away from bidding on the Scottsdale area resorts because of the risk. I am spoiled by having Marriott McDowell Mountain take a bid of $50/night in the past. But, that was before I knew any better...and...may have been the result of bidding in Phoenix North, I can't remember. Either way, the resort dynamics in Scottsdale present a bad situation for Priceline participants. Missing the opportunity to be in the hunt for a great resort because hotels like the Millenium, Sunterra and 3 Palms are floating around make Scottsdale a bummer. Oh well.

The reason I was hoping to target South Mountain and Squaw Peak was the "water fun" characteristics they provide. We've got two little boys and having a lazy river or water park sounds like a neat thing.

My strategy, in attempting to grab one of those properties, has been to only bid on 5*, 4* or resorts in Tempe and Phoenix North. If I ended up with Tapatio Cliffs or the Buttes, no bid deal. Those are nice properties. But so far...no luck on anything.

I decided to go with the 3 1/2* (some sites have it as a 4*) Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort for $84/night on June 12-14 (web rate is $99). Thank you for that lead, "thereuare." I may have been able to grab Tapatio for less on Priceline, but there's always the risk in landing something less appealing. Plus...we know what we're getting in this property. Not too shabby, I'd say. I'm very thankful for your help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]