Priceline Hotel: Istanbul 11/1-11/12

Romelle
By Romelle,
in

I'm working on a trip to Istanbul - Nov. 1 - 12. So far I've bid up to $75 with a $5 bonus ($80 total). I've tried various groupings of dates in that range. Maybe there just isn't any inventory out there yet?

I can see a $79 4* Hotwire (works for all 11 dates, one at a time), so that suggests there isn't an event that could run up the prices. There is one holiday, but with Priceline I've tried ranges both including and excluding that day.

I'll do separate posts for the different blocks of time, if and when I get something nailed down.

I already booked 4 days - 11/12 - 11/16 - via Expedia, using their Facebook "like" deal with a Master Card. One gets a $150 prepaid Master Card back, so my $86 place should turn out to be only $40something. Great deal, IMO. But there was only one to a customer on that deal.

Thought I'd post, just in case somebody else here is working on something similar and would either share their experience with me, or appreciate hearing of my non-results so far.

Romelle

hi Romelle,

I clicked on that link to Expedia and saw the promo, but it said travel by 8/31, and it only said $50 gift card for 3 nights instead of $150. How did you get that deal?

Thanks. I see you post a lot and your info has always been helpful. I would chim in on this except I have no experience with Istanbul. Good luck tho!

Did you "like" Expedia on Facebook first?

It takes 4 nights to trigger the $150. I never saw the 8/31, but I saw a 12/31 earlier. The $150 appeared when I booked the rooms, and it looked like it worked?? There is a follow-up process one has to do to tell Expedia where to send the $150 debit card. I went through that also. Time will tell. I picked a hotel that didn't have a really high rate in the first place, so if I get stuck with the whole price it won't be so bad.

The deal sort of flickers on and off. Not sure why. For a while I couldn't get it to show, but when it did I jumped on it.

Thanks for the kind words.

Romelle

• 2 weeks later...

I found this in a long thread on FT:

"Book between 5/27/2011 and 12/31/2011 with travel completed by 6/30/2012. Must complete redemption page linked from the booking confirmation page and provided shipping address in order to receive a Prepaid MasterCard card. Allow 4 to 6 weeks after travel completion for your card to arrive. Card expires 90 days from the date it is issued. This promotion may be redeemed only once. Limit one Prepaid MasterCard card per booking and per person during promotion period. To be eligible, you must be a US resident, at least 18 years of age or older, you must make a qualifying booking, and you must complete your stay at the booked hotel. Shipping to the 50 states, District of Columbia and US territories only. Not redeemable for cash.

Expedia reserves the right to substitute this offer with an offer of equal value at its sole discretion without prior notice. Offer good while supplies last. "

There is chatter both about the offer being pulled and that it is "hit-or-miss".

Romelle

I bid up to $80 + a $6.67 bonus ($20/3 nights) for 11/9-11/12.

No counter-offer, no slow down. I'm hesitant to go higher this far out, and also can see a $76 Hotwire 4* (which I figure is sort of like a Priceline 3 1/2*.

Plenty of time left though. I'm posting just in case somebody else is bidding something similar.

Romelle

Thanks Scott!

Maybe you could get that friend to post here? More members are always a good thing!!

I admit I'm a little puzzled, as generally one can do a bit better than the Hotwire numbers, and they still have the 4* at $76.

Last night I also stumbled upon a $71 Travelocity 4* secret hotel for my dates. I probably won't be going as high in my bidding as your friend did, but I do appreciate the information.

Romelle

Still having the "hit and miss" issue with the Expedia offer. I booked a back up online at the Basileus hotel for Janaury 19th-23rd, just in case I get stuck without other options. I'm not sure the catch (although it is winter) but the room rate booked through the hotel's web site was only 40 Euros per night and if you stay 3 nights they throw in a free transfer from IST to the hotel (one way). The hotel has great ratings, but that price is almost too good to be true.

I don't know if you saw it, but I did post to another that the Priceline area might not be the ideal location if you are going to be a tourist and not doing business in Istanbul.

We got a great deal at the Ferman Hotel, which I thought was a nice place, on Expedia. The price was low, breakfast was included, and we called before we booked and asked them if they would provide transportation to/from the airport. They agreed to that. The were very easy to deal with, and they are definitely agreeable to discussing prices and extras. You might email them directly and see what they can do for you. Do check their TA to make sure they are still well rated.

I am sorry, I forget what we paid. It was under $140, because I remember that the most we paid on that trip was $140. Good Luck!

Thanks for the additional information. I did see your prior comment and agree that I will not risk going onto PL for the bid. I stayed in that area before and it was inconvenient for my sightseeing during my quick trip to IST in January. I will check out the Ferman hotel too and appreciate your advice!

• 1 month later...

Wish I could get that deal, but it's not offered for my dates - Nov 7 thru 13. But I'm quite intrigued with the Hotel Sumengen and am considering booking directly. Only hesitation is the location...I think I'm leaning to the Taxzim area. Is this the area you've been selecting on PRICELINE? Also, can you explain the "additional $6 bonus?" Thanks for the emails yesterday. Very helpful.

Brian,

That HOTWIRE deal I got was offered for a while, was taken off, and then came back on again. Who knows what they might do next? Don't get in a hurry.

With Price..line, I've been selecting both the two zones available - doubt I could spell them right at the moment, but there are only two there. They both look to be in the middle of things, and it appears IST has good public transport. One complaint about the HOTWIRE hotel I just got was tram noise at night.

The $6 bonus was a deal offered a while ago. I posted it up in the Bonus Money area. If you are scrolling down, it is just at the beginning of the second page. PRICELINE does a lot of random things, or at least it appears that way from the outside. Do check your "My Rewards" area regularly, as sometimes they just put things in it. Or if you've been bidding a long time without any success. Or sometimes just after a successful bid. The ones that are available generally tend to get posted in the Bonus Money area on this site. There is one in the Entertainment Book. $20 when bidding on at least a 3 night stay at 3*s or better. Last year it was $50 at $10 per night.

Romelle

It's randomly sent out. If you click our PRICELINE link and then go to the top right of their home page, under MY PROFILE >> MY REWARDS you can see if you have any bonus money available.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I just booked the remaining eight days of my trip via Hotwire. I liked what I'd received for the first three days (hotwire purchase posted separately). HOTWIRE showed the same amenities, so I took it on through. Same hotel. A good thing, although part of me was curious to try another one. The sensible part of me is delighted.

11/4/11-11/12/11

Sultanhamet area - 2 people - 4*

Hotel Sumengen

Mimar Mehmet Aga Cd.

Amiral Tafdil Sk. No:21

Sultanahmet,

Istanbul,TR,34400

011 902125176869

Amenities were:

Airport Shuttle

Smoke Free Rooms

Business Center

Laundry Facilities

High-Speed Internet

Rate per night: $73.00

Nights: 8

Rooms: 1

Tax recovery charges & fees: $55.54

Subtotal: $639.54

Trip total: $639.54

It is right on a tram line, so I'll pack ear plugs. Good reviews generally in TripAdvisor. A couple of the reviews say it is used by Rick Steves for his group tours.

While the amenities don't show breakfast included, some other sites show it automatically there and two TripAdvisor reviews say it is included no matter what. I'll post a review when I get back.

I was having no success bidding PRICELINE 4* up to $85 (plus $6 bonus), and 3* up to $65 (plus $6 bonus). I was bidding both the two zones offered.

Romelle

Romelle,

Congratulations on your success! Nice to see you received the same hotel and are pleased with the results.

Thanks for sharing your HOTWIRE win with the board and glad to see you got this trip settled.

bribennett,

If you'd like help with your own trip please start a NEW TOPIC.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

I'm back home now. I'll add a review to this post, and then copy and paste it to the Hotel Review area when that gets up and running.

I did two separate Istanbul Hotwire purchases - the 8 days discussed here, and a separate posting for 3 days that is in the Hotwire - Other Countries area. So a total of 11 days at this hotel.

My adult son joined me for the last 9 days of this stay.

The hotel worked very well for us. Perhaps a 5 minute walk to the Blue Mosque and the Haghia Sophia, two of the major tourist destinations in Istanbul. The same 5 minutes also brought us to a tram station, so easy to get elsewhere. Another 10 minutes or so walk or a 5 minute tram ride to either the Grand Bazaar or the Spice Market, two more major tourist destinations. Wonderful location.

With an "Istanbul Card" tram/bus/ferry/train rides are only about $1 per leg, less if you are continuing on.

Hotel decor had a distinct Turkish feeling to it - ornate moldings, brocade bedspreads, chandeliers, rich colors.

If you like firm beds, this is the place for you.

Because the hotel is built on the side of a hill that drops down to water, front side reception is actually ground level on the 4th floor. Our rooms were on the back side on the 2nd and 1st floor (we moved once), but still with outside windows. We had a nice sea view from the 2nd floor, but just buildings from the 1st floor.

Operating windows, so one could get fresh air. I'd guess the rooms on the opposite side of the lower levels wouldn't have windows though?

A train line runs right by one side of the hotel, so if noise is an issue for you do ask for a room on the opposite side. We both sleep with earplugs so it wasn't a problem.

The staff was extremely kind and considerate. Always enough English to communicate, although sometimes a little sign language was involved or somebody else would be found to answer a question.

A free internet computer in the lobby, with use of a printer for those airline boarding passes.

The first room we were given had a king bed and a pull out sofa bed. While the sofa bed wasn't bad, we asked if we might get a room with two actual beds. The second room had two twin beds.

Both rooms had attractive heavy dark wood furniture.

Showers with fine water pressure.

Breakfast was included. An incredible array. Eggs, meats, cheeses. A noodle and cheese hot dish. Breads and toasts. Cereals. Fresh fruits - 4 kinds each day. Juices. Sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. Yoghurts. Dried figs and apricots plus walnuts and hazel nuts. Great coffee and an interesting array of teas. We tried new combinations every day. All in a 5th floor sunny light airy dining room with crystal chandeliers and a view out to the Golden Horn. We watched cruise ships and fishing boats and huge rusty tankers sail by. The Queen Victoria was in town and I saw that move majestically along.

And then another unexpected treat - they also did a late afternoon "Tea and Cookies" 4 - 6 pm. More than just cookies too - cakes, those dried fruits and nuts, and some of the cooked hot items that hadn't gotten eaten at breakfast.

Since this is a bit of a travelog too, I'll mention Taksim Square, crossing by ferry from Europe to Asia, boat cruises up the Golden Horn and up the Bosphorus to the Black Sea and a ferry visit to Princes Islands. My son got a shave, facial, head massage, and generally tidying up. He loved it so much he went for a second one just before he left. I went to an authentic Turkish bath. Scrubbed, sloshed, steamed, and pummeled to within an inch of my life, but it was a wonderful experience.

I worried a little about being a caucasian non-Muslim single grandmother in a 99% Muslim country, but I was totally comfortable and safe at all times. In fact, very nicely treated. On public transportation, young people routinely get up for older people, and men routinely get up for women.

The hotel shows a little wear here and there, but was totally clean and functional.

I'm trying to figure out how to go back .....

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]