Priceline Hotel: 4* Newark (Jersey City) Westin

dtkm4
By dtkm4,
in

When we get off our cruise in Manhatten on 9/25/11 we want to stay two extra days to site see. Would it be better to stay in NJ (at the Hyatt on the Hudson or the Westin easy access to Path-I really like these hotels) and pay for transportation from NY to NJ $60-70 and $65 from Westin to EWR or just get a hotel in NY for the two days and only pay $60 from NY to EWR? I have checked out these fares with car services so their pretty close maybe add $10 more for tolls but not including tip. If we stay in NY our budget would be about $120 before taxes. Which would be better?

It comes down to price vs. convenience... but it may be a moot point because based upon current prices i'm doubtful that $120 will be enough for a decent hotel in Manhattan.

Also, if expenses are a big factor in your decision, and assuming you're traveling from the Manhattan cruise ship terminal (ie- not Brooklyn/Red Hook) you could take take a taxi from the pier to the PATH train (~$10) and then the PATH train to Jersey City hotel. Many local taxi companies charge ~$35-$45 from Jersey City hotels to EWR.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am new to hotwire and priceline bidding. I have read about rebidding but want to make sure I am going to rebid correctly. First I want to bid in the area where the 4# hotels Hyatt on the Hudson, Westin and the W are. Would I enter Jersey City? After reading this board this is how I would bid.

Check Jersey City zone 1-4#hotel if rejected

Keep that checked and add zone 2 if rejected keep that checked and add zone 3( so now I have checkmarks in zones 1-2-3) etc. So here is my plan.

Select #4 Jersey City

Bid $80, if rejected add zone 2

Bid $90, if rejected add zone 3 and rebid

Bid $95, if rejected add zone 4 and rebid

Bid $100, if rejected add zone 5 and rebid

Bid $105, if rejected and zone 6 and rebid

Bid $110

I have to close my browser after each bid-right? Let me know if I have done this correctly. Thanks.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There is no reason to close the browser between the bids above, you should be able to simply add a new zone after each previously rejected bid.

However, you're only using 5 of your 6 re-bid zones, is there a reason you're not using all six? Is $110 your maximum bid for this stay? What are the date(s) of your stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The dates of our stay are 9/25/2011 & 9/26/2011 checking out on 9/27/2011. Yes, my maximun bid is $110. I want to try this amount first to see if I an get it. You said I'm only using 5 of my 6 re-bid zones. Would you show me how to bid all the zones? Is what I've done so far right?

You said I'm only using 5 of my 6 re-bid zones. Would you show me how to bid all the zones?

Start with the following...

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter 'Jersey City' and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

I had previously done that and found 1. Jersey City was the only one that listed*4 hotels.

Correct... and how many zones total are there in this region? How many re-bid zones does that give you?

So if you want to use all SIX of your re-bid zones (always double check them before bidding), and your maximum bid is $110, you could proceed as follows:

Select 4* Jersey City...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110

Any questions feel free to ask. However, just to add, that i think at the moment it will likely take $110-$135 to win on these dates, which is why i had asked if you were using all your re-bid zones (as i would have increased your bidding higher then $110, rather than slipped a $108 bid in there). However, with time on your side you can try the above and if rejected we'll take it from there.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Can you id these hotels that are listed in Hotwire Jersey City:

3.5* Midtown Central

Smokefree

Business center

High speed internet service

Recommended by 80%

$211 per night

3.5* Midtown East

Fitness center

Restaurant(s)

Business center

High speed internet service

Recommended by 85%

$201 per night

Are these in a good location?

These hotels are in Manhattan... what are the date(s) of this stay? (we'll likely merge this with one of your other open threads fi for the same dates)

In one of your previousl threads you mentioned your budget for Manhattan would be ~$120/nite and the hotels above are nearly double this amount, has your budget changed?

I'm not currently seeing either of these properties offered when searching HOTWIRE for your dates... are you still seeing the above on your own search? If so, please reply to this thread tomorrow and we'll see if they re-appear on our own search for dates.

I'm not currently seeing either of these properties offered when searching HOTWIRE for your dates... are you still seeing the above on your own search? If so, please reply to this thread tomorrow and we'll see if they re-appear on our own search for dates.

The hotels are back today on Hotwire New York. Midtown Central is $209 instead of $211 and Midtown East is $214 instead of $201.

I'm not seeing these properties when searching for 9/25-27; how many people are you searching for, and are you searching for both nights?

I will note that I'm seeing a 3.5* MTC (smoke-free, internet, business, restaurant) for $122 for 9/25-26 only.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I see both of them now...

The MTC property has not yet been reported to the board.

The MTE property matches multiple properties with the Doubletree, Roosevelt and Hilton East all having been seen with this amenity set, so any of these are likely, but my best guess would be the Roosevelt.

Hotwire is showing a *4 in Hoboken for $151. Shows

no smoking

fitness center

restaurant(s)

business center

high speed internet

I know this could be the Hyatt,Westin or the W. Doesn't show a pool but has it ever shown to be the Hyatt or the Westin with these ammenites?

This amenity set has not yet been reported to the board, but i'd feel "pretty confident" that is one of these three... and, imo, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]