NYC to DSM 7/14 - 7/17

BrooklynFan16
By BrooklynFan16,
in

I'm looking for a little help to bid on a flight from any of the NY airports (LGA, JFK, EWR) to DSM for next Thursday.

I waited a little too long and flights jumped a ton.

I'm not sure what to bid. I tried yesterday and bid up to $270 ($320 and change with the fees) and it was rejected. The counter offer was for a $330 bid which would bring the flight to $380.

Currently, the cheapest flight is $618 (total $657 with fees).

What do you think is an acceptable bid?

I booked a one way for $255 that I can cancel by 11am and have a flight on hold for miles + $105. So it would have to be cheaper than $360 since that's what I'd be paying (excluding the miles) and know the flight times and airlines. I just don't know if that's in the range of possibility anymore.

How much would you need to save to make an opaque airfare purchase (where you can't choose the flight times, layover city, or length of layover) worthwhile? Also, while using your points doesn't cost you anything out of pocket, they do have some value... you should think about what a point is worth in order to determine your 'true' cost of this trip and set your maximum bid accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think I don't want to spend more than $340-350 with the fees on an opaque purchase. Not sure if that's in the range with the counter offer at $386 with the fees. The trip isn't "necessary" either. Is there a better likelihood of getting a good deal a day or two out? I know it's that way with the hotels, but flights just seem trickier to me.

Airfare is trickier... even when booking 'retail'.

You can get an almost unlimited number of re-bids though when booking airfare, as explained in this Priceline Airfare RE-bidding thread. You can use the methods there (see the 2nd post) to start near the low end of your range and increase your bids ~$10 or so with each re-bid before you get to your maximum bid.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and keep us updated, and thanks for using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]