Hotwire Hotel: 4* Boston (Cambridge) Marlowe

daytripper11
By daytripper11,
in

This is my first time posting, though I have used the forum's wisdom to win bids on Priceline before, so I hope everything I post here is ok...

We're heading to Boston for the 7th-9th July (2 nights) and I've been trying for the past 2 weeks to get a deal with Priceline.

I've normally been starting with either 3.5* or 4* in the Copley Square - Theatre District, with a bid of $85. I've then gone up in $4-5 increments, adding other regions to add my bids (normally adding the Waterfront areas first, knowing there's little chance I'd get them, then the other areas that have nothing above 3* - Fenway, Brighton, South Boston, etc).

Each time, I've gotten up to $110 and been unsuccessful and given that it's only a week away, I'm starting to get desperate.

I've seen other winning bids in that area for less than that, but maybe the timing's not right and I'm not going to be able to get something for that price now? If so, I'm not sure where to go from here. We're happy to stay 3*, but that makes bidding a lot more complicated... and we do then have the possibility of some less than stellar hotels (by the reviews)...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome (officially) to BetterBidding!

This is my first time posting, though I have used the forum's wisdom to win bids on Priceline before...
While we're glad to hear the board has been helpful to you in the past, it would be appreciated if you began to share your wins with the board so that the information can help others, just as you have been helped by those who posted before you. :)

Exactly which zones, by PRICELINE name, are you willing to accept? Is $110 your maximum bid before lowering to 3* or could you go a little higher for a 3.5* or 4* hotel?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (and please read your messages)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I do apologise - the bids I've won in the past were back in 08-09, when I was living in Australia, and I 100% agree, it was selfish of me not to share them... At least I've registered now, right...?

We would be happy to be in any of Boston Harbor Front - Aquarium, Boston Waterfront - Convention Center, Copley Square - Theatre District or Quincy Market - Faneuil Hall - Financial.

Basically, we're only in Boston for a day and a half before heading down to Cape Cod, so we want to be downtown where we can see everything... I would be happy to have a good quality 3* for $110 or less (but as I said, I'm concerned that may not be able to be guaranteed) and I could probably go to $120, but I'm aware that most of the 3.5* and 4* hotels charge $30+ per night for parking...

Appreciate your help.

At both the 4* and 3.5* levels you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Harbor Front, Waterfront, Copley Square, Quincy Market...

Bid $103, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $113, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120

If the above is rejected, close the browser, use this link to re-access PRICELINE, and repeat at the 3.5* level.

If that too is rejected post back and we'll look at your options (of which i see one or two)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK - I tried that, with one exception. In terms of re-bid zones, I was a little concerned, because when I added Nth Cambridge in there, the median price dropped by about $40. Supposedly there are no 4* or 3.5* hotels in that area, but why would the median price change, if that's the case?

Regardless, I went all the way up to $118 for 4* and 3.5*, using the links you suggested and no dice...

Where to from here?

I'm guessing you might be successful at about $135-$140 or less, if you care to increase your budget another $20/nite.

Alternately, HOTWIRE has a 3* hotel in the Boston Common area for $96 with Smoke Free, Fitness, Restaurant, Business, Internet... as well as a 3.5/5.0 Tripadvisor rating. Best guess for this property is the Doubletree or the Park Plaza, and while perhaps not what you were originally seeking, with the TA reviews showing, and 90% recommended by previously HOTWIRE guests, perhaps the price is right and you could make this work for your needs?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and/or how it goes.

Thanks again for your help - for future reference, is it more or less likely that a better rate is possible by booking earlier or leaving it till later (or does it just depend on the timing completely, at different times of the year)?

I ended up looking at the HOTWIRE suggestion, but we're travelling with 2 kids, so that one didn't pop up with our options (when I took the kids out, I did see that deal). We ended up using the HOTWIRE link to get a $109, 4* deal in the Cambridge area with Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access and the big giveaway - Boutique. We knew from the HOTWIRE list on this forum that it was the Marlowe, which is just across the Charles river (very short walk), so we're very happy with that.

Congrats on your success. :)

Glad you were able to find a good deal for your stay. It's a risk to leave a purchase until the last minute - if there's something going on in the area or it's a busy season, rates can stay high or head higher. While there are certainly variations from day-to-day and season-to-season, this year we've seen more instances of rates staying high than a couple of years ago.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's HOTWIRE link.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]