Priceline Hotel: Wysox Pa. Hotel needed

candydandy100
By candydandy100,
in

Need a hotel room (stars not important) for Wysox PA. They have a comfort Inn but all the prices are rainging around $135 a night! Ouch! Hoping to stay as close to $50 as I can. What's the lowest I could go that you think they'll accept? Also, I'm not stuck on the hotel name. ANY half way decent hotel there would work for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks for replying. Yeah, I've already been using them trying to find a hotel. Dates of travel are July 7th (Thursday). If I can get a good rate, then I'll be willing to take several more days....(Will actually be in PA from July 7-17th.) but not at $135 a night. Definately need a hotel on July 7th. Can be in Towanda, PA. Wysox, PA. or any surrounding towns near there within 30 miles.

The closest PRICELINE zone to Wysox is Sayre, about 21 miles to the north and I think the only game in town is the Best Western and Hampton Inn. It has been my experience that hotels in these small markets don't discount much for PRICELINE or HOTWIRE. Also, because there is a lot of drilling in the general area for natural gas, hotel rates have gone up. There are some hotels to the west of Towanda in Mansfield, but that's about it. You might need to re-evaluate your budget or maybe consider one of the many "motel" style accomodations in this area.

A few years ago, I checked into the Wyalusing Hotel (just east of Wysox) and was put in a room that reminded me of the hotel in Clint Eastwood's "High Plains Drifter" film, except it had a phone and a TV. I checked out and drove over to the Comfort Inn, which is about as good as it gets for this area.

Good Luck!

Does Priceline do motels as well? I'm not even sure what there is available there, but really need to get something pretty soon.
I only mentioned motels as an alternative to PRICELINE, remember, the nearest bidding zone is 21 miles away from Wysox on two lane roads.
The Best Western there wants $169 a night, discounted rate from priceline is $135. What's the lowest you think they will go down to if I named my own price?
If I knew the answer to that, I would be trading comodities on Wall Street :) I think this will be tough bidding as there is little competition, hence hotel managers don't have much incentive to discount. You could start at your minimum bid and increase each day by $5. In addition, you could change the number of days that you are bidding and split up your bid in case the hotel is full for the entire length of your travel dates. Good Luck.

Candy.....

You are completely out of luck. Nearly every rentable room in Bradford County PA is taken by the gas companies or the gas workers. A few of the larger hotels hold back a few rooms at full retail so they can accomodate some travelers and not completely alienate their client base, but that's about it. They're building more motels, if that tells you anything.

The Comfort Inn in Wysox, the Best Western in Sayre, and the Hampton Inn in Sayre are the only motels I know of that hold back a few rooms as I described. You might get lucky and score a room at a bed and breakfast if you make some phone calls, but most of them are boutique operations and charge as much as the motels.

Mansfield is 40 miles west. Elmira NY is 40 miles north and west. Those are your other options for population centers with motels. Mansfield should be no cheaper than Wysox/Towanda and if you elect to choose Elmira you should check the reputations of the available hotels first.

I cannot and will not guarantee the accuracy of the above, but speak from the standpoint of someone who lives 15 miles from Wysox and frequently needs lodging for anywhere from 2 to 40 travelers. Good luck...let us know how you make out.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]