Priceline Hotel: 3* Columbus (Ohio State University) Hyatt Place

monkeybars8
By monkeybars8,
in

I'm traveling to Columbus, OH with my son & am looking for a safe area near downtown (dates: 6/17 & 6/18). I've heard the Easton area is nice & would like to find a Priceline deal there, but I see that Priceline lumps the Easton area with the Airport area; don't want to stay at an airport hotel. We need to be downtown on Saturday. Not opposed to staying downtown if we can get a great deal, but the suburbs are fine. Can anyone recommend an area(s) and bidding strategy? I would like to spend no more than $60 per night.

Thank you!

With PRICELINE there is no way to target only part of the zone... you need to be willing to accept a hotel anywhere within the shaded boundaries of the zone. If there are areas of the zone you're not willing to stay in then you shouldn't bid that zone.

If you want to try for Downtown, what is the minimum star rating you're willing to accept?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (please click this PRICELINE link before replying)

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Where in Columbus do you need to be? If you need to be downtown, I would probably recommend against the Dublin and Worthington zones because they are pretty far out and can be a pain to get into town. They may be less convenient than the airport hotels depending on traffic.

If the priority is on price, then the downtown hotels may only superficially meet your price needs since they will in most cases charge a parking fee. The Crowne Plaza and Hyatt Regency are near the Arena district which is nice.

A thought might be to try at the 3* level in the University area. Access from there isn't as bad, but many of the hotels will offer free parking and the cost is competitive.

Thanks for the input! We need to be at the Small Business Development Center on Cleveland Ave. The Easton area would be close, and we'd love to shop at little while there...maybe I'll give it a whirl and hope we don't get an airport hotel. Does anyone know if the airport hotels are in a safe area and decent? We like hotels such as Courtyards, Country Inn & Suites, Fairfields, Res. Inn, Hampton Inn, etc. We don't need anything fancy (ex.no pool required)...just clean and safe.

Is that at Columbus State University?

I think you are fine near the airport in terms of safety. There are far worse areas in the city. A fair number of the hotels are situated on the main drag leading to the airport while others are just on the other side of the freeway. I lived two freeway exits down 270 from there and my mom worked at the nearby military base for a couple of years. The neighborhood gets questionable as you head further west from the airport on Broad Street. I-670 would give you pretty decent access to where you need to be. I would bank on getting an airport hotel and treat an Easton hotel as a bonus.

The university area could still be just as convenient. I definitely wouldn't stay in Dublin for where you are going. Worthington/Polaris is has a nice shopping mall in the area and could be good for you, but still a potentially unpleasant trip on 71.

If you'd like help with a suggested bidding strategy please confirm/summarize the zone(s) you're willing to accept, desired star rating and maximum bid... we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

I struck out w/Priceline last night. Started w/Easton/Airport at $35, then added University, then Downtown, then Polaris...increased bids. Then changed dates. Still no luck. Was going to add 2.5 stars, but by then it was past midnight & Priceline wouldn't let me book for same night.

I ended up getting a Hotwire room for the 1st night. $63 for Four Points Sheraton at Airport/Easton. Still need a room for 6/18. Will try Priceline again. Higher bids this time.

I think that's a good location for you south of the campus. The neighborhood isn't really all that attractive but its fine. White Castle's headquarters is just down the road. And You should be able zip over to the site. The Arena district isn't too terribly far away either. Hope the trip works out for you.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]