Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Maui (Ka'anapali) Westin Maui

amnesiacv2
By amnesiacv2,
in

With some help from the other travel bidding forum I made several offers for a "Resort" in Kaanapali via priceline with no love going all the way up to $210.

Since I wanted to avoid the Sheraton Maui (heard mixed reviews) I went to Hotwire and bid on the 4.5* "Customer Favorite" Resort. I assumed it would be the Hyatt Regency as indicated in the Hotwire hotel list here, and from other winning bids, but it ended up being the Westin Maui, which is just fine with me.

There was a 4* Resort also listed for $296 a night. Not sure if it was the Sheraton or if the Hyatt got downgraded.

Interesting thing:

Initially searched for 12/18 - 12/25 a couple days ago. Got $221 a night. Searched yesterday, got $243 a night. Searched again today, got $219 a night. Went through the checkout process and all of a sudden "the itinerary is not available." :)

Closed browser, cleared cookies, got $298 a night. HUH?

Switched from Firefox to Internet explorer, got $268 a night. Strange.

Went back to firefox, and sat there for 30 minutes trying different trip dates. It seems that the 23rd-25th were touchy dates.

Ended up booking 12/18-12/24 for $235, and decided to have a 6-day trip instead of a 7-day after seeing the Hotwire price for 12/25 leap up to $374. Criminy!

Overall I feel like I got a great deal but I'm really irritated at Hotwire. Not for the price fluctuations, it was explained by a rep earlier, but the fact that they offer these prices and then go "Oops, not available, try again." That's just poor business practice IMO.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Can you please list the amenities shown before purchase... still viewable by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

I can assure you that hotwire does not intentionally list hotels that are not available... that serves them no good. Isn't it conceivable that somebody bought the last available room(s) from the time you did your search and the time you attempted to purchase or that the results came from the cache of a previous search? We do see this happen occaisionally, but it is definately the exception rather than the rule.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]