Priceline Hotel: Jersey City Questions

Arista
By Arista,
in

In January I bid for, and won, two nights at the Newport Hyatt @$37/night (Friday and Saturday). (Well, of course I bid for Jersey City, but was hoping for the Hyatt.) At that time, that seemed to be the going rate for that hotel.

In looking over more recent threads, I see that people have been paying $50 to $81 lately for this property. :) Is that the new going rate? Is a $37 winning bid a thing of the past? If so, what has happened to change the situation?

I've also stayed at another hotel in the area, one near the Pavonia/Newport station (Doubletree?) and it was fine, wouldn't mind getting that. Are all the Priceline Jersey City hotels near PATH stations?

My dates are June 3 and 4, and possibly May 27 and 28.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the link, thereuare. How sad. :)

I'm definitely going up June 3 and 4, but I'd been counting on the $37 rate to enable me to go up the previous weekend as well. Whether I'll be able to do both will depend on 1) the rate I can get and 2) whether a friend agrees to share with me for one or both weekends.

Several people have indicated that you stand a better chance of getting a good rate if you book as close to last minute as possible. This may work for me for May 27 and 28, but for June 3 and 4 I'll need to plan farther in advance.

Do we know if all Priceline's Jersey City offerings are within close walking distance to the PATH?

I bid today (through Savings Barn) for June 3 and 4, and was unsuccessful.

First bid -- $61 for 3*

Second bid -- $66 for 2.5*

Since I have time, I'm going to wait instead of trying for a 2*. My concern is that the only 2* we know of in this area, the Candlewood Suites, is the farthest from the PATH. I'm more concerned with easy access to the PATH than with hotel amenities. I've stayed at the Doubletree and I don't think I'd want to walk farther than that.

I have a question: if I were to go ahead and increase my bid today, choosing a 2*, what are the chances that I'd get a 2* rather than a higher-rated hotel? I'm talking about Priceline bidding in general, not about this particular situation. If you increase your bid, and two hotels of different star levels are willing to accept it, are you automatically given the lower-rated hotel? I realize, of course, that inventory and the stars being what they are, a higher-rated hotel might accept your bid while a lower-rated one might reject it. But I'm wondering whether Priceline has a policy (that we know of) to give you the least of what you ask for.

right now the Candlewood is going for $106 on Hotwire, so I'm not sure your $66 bid will get it. The Candlewood has a shuttle that will take you to the Path Station and you might be able to make arrangements with the hotel for a pickup as well.

The CANDLEWOOD website has a $110/nite rate available, so a bid in the $60's may be successful there. If you don't want to stay there, why take the risk? (i'm an advocate of being conservative and not taking unnecessary chances). Although as dahammer points out, they do have a shuttle which will take you to the PATH station.

You're 3* bid in the $60's are likely too low for any acceptance; a 2.5* bid at $70 may get you the Courtyard.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]