Priceline Hotel: san diego - june 25-28 - first timer

yellowbeetle
By yellowbeetle,
in

Hi All,

I hope I'm posting correctly, this is my first time and am still trying to navigate through the forums. I bid on a hotel for June 26-28, tried $47 for a 4* in San Diego Coastal. I didn't get an alert stating "Based on recent data, your price has only a small chance of being accepted." Doesn't this usually mean that my bid would be accepted. I thought it was ok but it got rejected. Now that it is 72 hours after the first initial bid, what amount should I bid. Is it way too low? There will only be two of us(adults).

I have to do other cities in California and want to make sure that I'm doing this properly. What amount should I be bidding?

Please help. Your help is much needed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yellowbeetlechick.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The 'warning message' you are refeing to is not indicative as to whether or not your bid will be accepted. If it were the case users would just input numbers $1 at a time until the message went away (which i bet is the exercise you went thru :) )

Your $47 bid is too low, as it usually takes a higher bid than that for the 4* level. However, you need not just pick one bid amount eveyr 72 hours. You have 7 re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in this area. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read PRICELINE RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED and feel free to ask any questions that you may have and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board.

Once you have an understanding of re-bidding, let us know yoru maximum bid adn we'll suggest a step-by-step strategy to follow which will start low and take you up to your maximum bid amount.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you Kathy and Thereuare for your help. I never actually thought what my maximum would be for the hotel. But if it is $130+, I have to pass, either I will have to lower the hotel rating or go somewhere else. If anyone knows of a good area within San Diego that isn't too seedy or not too shabby, please let me know. I just thought the coastal area would be nice. I still have to do some research of ideal areas to stay. We will be renting a car so transportation wouldn't be a problem, although parking might be.

Anyways, hope all is well with everyone who reads my message.

Yellowbeetle.

Downtown is a fun, convenient place to stay, and you might be able to find a 4* there, although it may take up to $125. You might also try Hotwire - I see two suite hotels that appear to be the 3.5* Sheraton Suites and 3* Staybridge Suites for $131/$83 respectively. Add the $10/night off Hotwire new customer promotion +$30/stay Entertainment Book Hotwire discount and you've got an excellent deal. Sheraton Suites would be ideal. I wouldn't worry about being right at the beach, because there are many choice beaches all within a very reasonable drive.

Del Mar, the next zone up from the Coastal zone, is a pleasant, upscale seaside community and offers very good value on Priceline. There are no 4*'s, but two good 3*'s - a Hilton and Doubletree - although they are a ways from the beach. My guess would be a winning bid would be in the range of $50-70.

Old Town makes for a pleasant, convenient base. There are no 4*'s and no 3*'s ever reported, but there is a 2.5* Courtyard by Marriott, and a nice little 2* Holiday Inn Express which is more like a 3*, but availability seems to have dried up quite a bid in this zone. $40-$50 if availability I would guess.

In researching your previous zones i did notice that the Del Mar area had availabililty, so that may be a good option if that area fits into your plans well.

Let us know what alternate zone(s) you're interested in and we'll try to provide an appropriate strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks Travelguy and Thereuare for your guidance. We would like to stay in the Coastal area and Del Mar. I think our max would be $70. Do you think this is possible? I initially tried tried Coastal and Del Mar with 4* for $50 and then tried 3* for $50. I guess I have to up the bid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yellowbeetle

So if you're looking for Del Mar the highest rating offered there is 3* so i'll assume that is what you'll be trying for. I'm also assuming that you would accept a 3* in the Coast zone... if that is not the case do not bid below and report back that you are not interested in a 3* in the Coastal zone and we'll adjust accordingly.

At the 3* level you have two re-bids available, if you're not sure which they are feel free to ask questions and/or confirm them with the board.

Select 3* Del Mar...

Bid $32, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $38, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Del Mar and re-bid zone2...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $50, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Del Mar and Coastal...

Bid $53, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $58, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Del Mar and Coastal and re-bid zone2...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $70.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]