Priceline Hotel: 4* Oahu (Waikiki Beach) Hyatt Regency

Terrsten116
By Terrsten116,
in

I am planning a trip to Hawaii with my boyfriend either from June 30-July 6th 2011 or between July 7th-July 14th. What dates will i get the best rate? Also I want to stay on the beach with a ocean view room. Is this possible on priceline? Lastly, when booking a flight how much should I bid from LAX to Honolulu?Is it possible to get a flight for half off which would be $250

Thank you!

Right now we are leaning towards Oahu, just because it is cheaper and we can be close to the beach. Also we are in our early 20's. I would love to go to Maui just because it seems like it is more of the hawaii I am looking for, it is jus expensive. Oahu seems more like LA. and thats where we live. So i guess im undecided lol....I want to stay 6 or 7 days in a nice hotel by the beach. and we are definitly on a budget. What do u recommend we bid for the end of June/July??what airport is the cheapest from southern california to hawaii

Also I want to stay on the beach with a ocean view room.

The only way to ensure a hotel that is on the beach is to use HOTWIRE and choose a property with the Beachfront icon... with PRICELINE there is no way to ensure a hotel that is directly on the beach. As far as a room with an oceanview, you can't ensure this with either service. PRICELINE and HOTWIRE rooms are for standard rooms, and rooms with views are often considered an upgrade. You may be able to negotiate an upgrade (either complimentary or paid) at check-in, but your ability or chances of upgrading won't be known beforehand... so if 'oceanview' is a must you'll probably need to book direct thru non-opaque sources.

Let us know if/how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Note that deals on airfare can be far and few between and will likely be the most volatile in terms of fluctuating price... if you search for airfare now what is the current price? If you used this amount as a worst case scenario (as it may prove to be given how tough airfare bidding can be), what is your hotel budget (per nite before taxes and fees)

For a hotel, what is your desired star rating and which zone(s) are you willing to accept?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I saw on priceline that someone got a flight for $387 roundtrip from LA to Honolulu. So my expected price is around there.

While it may play out this way, this is not a realistic expectation... was the airfare win you saw for the same exact dates that you're considering traveling? the same month even?? I'm guessing that you weren't give the date info along with the winning bid amount, and therefore, the $387 roundtrip may have little to do with rates for your own dates.

I'm more then willing to help you get a hotel without your research on the airfare, but i'm trying to prevent you from having a non-refundable hotel reservation and then discovering that your expectations for the cost of airfare was too aggressive.

You have a few choices:

1) Search HOTWIRE for the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel. Use that as the base for your lodging cost, then bid on PRICELINE for airfare... if successful then immediately try bidding on PRICELINE for the hotel, and if rejected, take the previously seen HOTWIRE offer.

2) Search PRICELINE for a package deal, but the best i'm able to find which meets your 4* or better criteria is the Hyatt for $1869 all-in (for two people including hotel and airfare)... but this is over your budget by about $350+

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Ok so I just booked a flight on PRICELINE. 2 round trip from LAX to Honolulu for 399 per ticket!! Im sooo happy! The only thing is our seats on the flight aren't together :) Hopefully the airline can fix that issue. Now I just have to book the room. My dates are July 6-13th....I need help bidding for a 4,5 star or resort in oahu :)

Congratulations on your success!

Can you please post the details of your win in the Airfare section of the board.

If you want to start trying for a Resort property, at the Resort level you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select Resort Waikiki Beach...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask. If the above is rejected post back and we'll revise to try for a 4* rated property.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

At the 4* level you have THREE re-bid zones. (NOTE: Ihilani and Oahu North Shore are not re-bid zones!!!)

Select 4* Waikiki Beach...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

You need to know how to check your re-bid zones on your won since they need to be double checked before each bidding cycle to make sure nothing has changed.

Please see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board. If you read the re-bid explained thread and are still confused just post back and we'll break it down further for you.

I am soooo confused. i read the section on re bidding zones. some of the concepts I understood. Such as, choosing an area that does not have the star level that you want. Ok, so im trying to get a resort or a 4* if I bid $80 and Im rejected, what should I choose as my re-bid zone? Would it be waikiki city central, or waikiki marina area? previously you said ihilani and oahu north shore are not re bid zones. However the other areas have 4* and resorts. I dnt want to choose them because I am afraid I will get a room there. Sorry if my post is confusing. :)

Diamond Head Area

Executive Center

Honolulu Airport (HNL)

Ihilani

Oahu North Shore

Waianae

Waikiki Beach Area

Waikiki City Central

Waikiki Marina Area

Terrstn116,

Free re-bid zones change fairly often. One has to check them JUST BEFORE BIDDING to be sure. If you post your best understanding of just which areas (list above) work as free re-bid areas somebody will double check your understanding.

You need to do it once for Resort bidding, and again for 4* bidding since the answers are different. (For that matter, the answer is different for 3* bidding too.)

Free re-bidding is a powerful concept, but if somebody doesn't understand it they can end up with a hotel in an undesired area.

Romelle

Start with the following...

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter 'Waikiki' and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region. (as per Romelle's list above)

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

NOTE: although 'Resort' is listed on the PRICELINE page underneath 1* the zone hierarchy is actually as follows:

5*

Resort

4*

3.5*

3*

2.5*

2*

1*

Ok I did what you said, these are the highest star levels in this area:

Diamond Head= 2* Moderate

Executive Center=3* upscale

Honolulu airport=2*

Ihilani=Resorts

Oahu North Shore=Resorts

Waikiki Beach Area=5*/Resorts

Waikiki City Central=4*

Waikiki Marina Area=4*

Now what do I do?

*Are my free re bid areas daimond head, executive center, honolulu airport since they do not have a resort/4* ? However, if I am bidding for a 4* waikiki city central and Marina area would not be re bidding zones right?

You are right on the 4* free rebidding areas. Three of them. All the rest have 4* or higher availability.

If you are bidding Resort, the Waikiki City Central is also free since the highest it has available is 4*.

You slipped on the Waikiki Marina area as you listed it (or it just changed). It shows Resort availability as I'm typing this. So it couldn't be used as a free rebid area at the Resort level.

Do double check though each day JUST BEFORE you start bidding.

Romelle

Its CRAZY how easy it is now that I understand the "strategy" hahah I do not know why I didnt understand it before. Thanks Romelle for helping me understand!!! I tried bidding, but it kept telling me that it was a duplicate bid, so im trying to wait 24 hours! Hopefully I get somewhere today. I cant wait to find a place :)

Ok so I am getting frustrated with bidding. I have bid for both 4star and resorts. I started at 80 and went up 110 and I havent had any luck. My bf also has an account so we even tried bidding on his...what is a realistic bid for a 4* and/or a resort?? My trip is just around the corner and I need to know where Im staying....please help

Have you found the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins yet? Just above here on this page. Select your dates and Hawaii - Priceline, and you can see what other bidders have reported as working. Also you can take a look at Hawaii - Hotwire results.

On the retail side of Priceline, there is a 4* on the beach for $139 for your dates. It certainly suggests you are getting close with your bidding.

You've got the usual options now - raise your budget and/or lower your desired star level and/or select additional zones. Also, you could consider splitting your bid and finding part of the days for a little less money, thereby freeing up some budget for part of the days at the desired location so you can bid a little higher for them.

The mechanics of the bidding process are really very simple after you understand them - as you just discovered. This part now of finding something that will actually work can also be simple, but sometimes it can be a struggle.

You might spend some time reading the hotel reviews (tab above) and seeing if other zones and/or the 3 1/2* level hotels could work for you.

I know it seems close, but you've actually got quite a bit of time. I've seen bidders not land anything until the last day or so.

You did really well on the airfare. Hang in there on those hotels!

Romelle

$120-$125 has been common lately... how high are you willing to bid?

Please remember to use the PRICELINE links on the board for your bidding (and ask your boyfriend to do the same) and not the links in any emails PRICELINE sends.

Thanks... good luck with the next round of bidding.

$120-$125 has been common lately... how high are you willing to bid?

Please remember to use the PRICELINE links on the board for your bidding (and ask your boyfriend to do the same) and not the links in any emails PRICELINE sends.

Thanks... good luck with the next round of bidding.

Yes we will continue to use the PRICELINE link in the upper right corner, also my limit for bidding is 110. I think I am going to split up my days so hopefully I have better luck. Thank you for your help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]