Priceline Hotel: 4* LA 09/15/11-09/18/11

mphysick
By mphysick,
in

Could you please help with a strategy or recommendations for a 4* hotel in LA from 15-18 September? I have not been before and don't have transportation. I thought West Hollywood may be a good area. I have bid up to $150 for a 4* hotel there but had no success. I notice that the Sofitel LA is offering rooms on their web site for $176 a night (stay 3, pay 2) and was not sure if it was better to take that deal or try bidding for something else. Could you please let me know your thoughts, and whether I should also look at other areas of LA, such as Hollywood?

Many thanks.

A good reason to prefer Hollywood over Beverly Hills-West Hollywood is that the Red Line Metro train runs through Hollywood, and you can take Metro to Downtown or Universal Studios. BH-WH doesn't have Metro service yet, just buses that don't run frequently.

But if you're planning to take cabs, or you don't intend to visit Downtown or Universal then being near a Metro stop isn't any special advantage, and your decision about zone should rely more on what type or style of hotel you prefer. The 4* in Holllywood (Roosevelt and W) are sort of "party hotels" and "beatiful people" hotels (or wannabes) and the atmosphere is very different than at the more business oriented 4* in BH-WH zone, like the Intercontinental, Hyatt, or Sofitel.

Right now Hotwire has these:

4.5* BH-WH $178. Looks like Sofitel

4* Hollywood $190. Looks like W.

Hotwire has no 4* in BH-WH now. I think you may be too early for 4* in that zone and that Hotwire and Priceline will have more inventory there closer to your dates. I wouldn't bid higher than the $150 you already have in BH-WH, as I think you can probably beat that price closer to your travel dates.

If you want 4* Hollywood you can probably beat Hotwire's $190 rate there on Priceline (but you might not win the W).

Let us know how you want to proceed and someone can suggest a strategy.

Please use these HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links for your purchases.

Thanks for the advice about the red metro train. I think I should give Hollywood a go instead. Could you please suggest a strategy for that area? I really didn't want to go above $160, so if you think it may be better to wait till closer to the time I'll do that too.

Thanks.

For your dates the W is $288 and Roosevelt is $242. Hotwire has W for $190.

When bidding for a 4* in LA you have three rebid zones. Those are zones that only have hotels less than 4* quality. If you need help identifying your three rebid zones please ask.

I suggest $110 for a 4* in Hollywood.

If rejected add rebid zone #1 and bid $120.

If rejected add rebid zone #2 and bid $130.

If rejected exit Priceline, close browser, reaccess PRICELINE and start a new bid:

Select Hollywood + rebid zone #3 and bid $140.

If rejected add rebid zone #1 and bid $150.

If rejected add rebid zone #2 and bid $160.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Starting your bids with the board's PRICELINE link is appreciated.

I tried bidding up to $160 but with no success. I was wondering whether I should try in another area. I notice Downtown is a lot cheaper (Hotrire 4* for $101) and Universal City (Hotwire 4* for $98). Both these areas appear to have metro links. I am prepared to go up to $170 if you think Hollywood is the best area. But as I'm nat a huge "party type" person, is it worth considering Downtown and/or Universal?

Many thanks

If a 4* in Hollywood is your first choice I think it's very early to be giving up on that for a trip still 3+ months away. Many times Priceline doesn't work until much closer to travel dates. If you want to keep trying up to $150 or $160, once a week or so, you should book a cancellable reservation someplace, in case prices shoot up.

Downtown and Hollywood are very different areas, both on the Metro, maybe 20 minute ride apart.

A 4* Downtown usually costs less than 4* in Hollywood, maybe under $100, and it will probably be a more sedate hotel than Hollywood. One downside to Downtown--it empties out after 9-5 and there's not a lot of people on the street after dark. Hollywood stays busy til much later, more restaurants and theaters, crowds on the street, better people watching. Hollywood 4* has a party reputation but I don't think you have to worry the 4* hotels are uncivilized places, or that you won't sleep.

I don't know what's more important to you---low price that favors Downtown, or proximity to a range of entertainment within walking distance of the hotel, that favors Hollywood.

As for staying at Universal are you planning to visit Universal Studios? I wouldn't stay out there unless you plan to spend time there. On Hotwire you might identify in advance a 4* that's near Universal and Metro line. Without a car Priceline is too risky to use because the zone is much larger than just Universal area and you could win something miles from Metro, maybe in Glendale.

Of those three options Hollywood's most central and lively. But it also costs the most, and you might have to wait weeks or months to get your price there. You might win a 4* Downtown for under $100 now.

You've got lots of time to think it over. You might read some reviews of W and Roosevelt on TripAdvisor to help you decide if you'd enjoy staying in Hollywood. If you think you'd be happier with the atmosphere at Sofitel for $178 that's a good location too. No Metro but you can still get around, bus and cab, and enjoy your stay headquartered there.

Earlier I said W was $288 but that's an average of three daily rates, which are $269, $269, $377. The $377 is a Saturday night.

I don't know if you're interested in splitting your stay (staying at two hotels) but if you drop the Saturday night you might win 9/15-9/17 on Priceline for less than the $160 you've bid for three nights.

Or you can keep trying to $160 for all three nights for another month or two; then if it's still not working split your bid.

Let us know if anything develops.

• 1 month later...

If you need help with a bidding strategy let us know your maximum bid for the Downtown area and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how the next round of bidding goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]