Priceline Hotel: Long Island Suffolk 5/27-5/29 need help

STS1366
By STS1366,
in

I'm a first time Name Your Price user looking to stay somewhat close to Stony Brook University 5/27 to 5/29 for the NCAA Women's Lacrosse Tournament. I think I would need a minimum of a 2.5* hotel to avoid anything hideous, but 3* would be preferred. Almost every hotel on the Priceline history for the four Suffolk areas (Hauppauge, Macarthur, Stony Brook, and Wading River) are full on their own sites, with the exception of very expensive hotels, so I'm not sure how difficult this will make things. I really don't want to spend more than $110 a night before fees, or $105 for the Wading River zone. Lower prices would obviously be great.

If you think finding anything close because of the tournament will be difficult, I would also be willing to stay in Nassau County in the Huntington or Bethpage zones, but I wouldn't want to go over $100 for those two zones. If I am way off in my price expectations, let me know and I'll decide whether I could lower my star rating or something.

This is my first time, and I saw several hotels with horrible reviews that were listed as 2 and 2.5* on some hotel sites, although most of them were 1* on Priceline. That's why I'm leaning towards 3*, plus the fact that almost everything on the list is booked might mean I get something not on the list if anything at all is still available when I bid. Thank you for your time and sorry that the last minute booking was necessary due to the nature of single elimination tournaments.

The rates varied a bit between the different zones, but seemed about average. When I checked over the weekend, Priceline's 1* (often 2* on other sites) rates were between 69 and about 115, I think the 2.5* in town was between 120 and 140, but there were also up to $200 2.5* hotels in the adjacent zones (there may only be one or two hotels actually IN town). The 3* hotels that still have rooms on their own sites are 249 and 299. There is a 3* with rooms in the Bethpage zone (one of the two zones I'd be fine with in the next county) for 209. If you don't think I could get a decent deal, there's a 1* with acceptable reviews for $75 that's just slightly farther away than I'd like. I'll probably just book that without name-your-price if you think my expectations are way off rather than pay $140+ on name-your-price. Thanks!

EDIT: Basically I feel my expectations would be very easily in line on a normal weekend (I've seen much much better deals here in these zones in the past), but I didn't know just how much difference there is on a fairly booked weekend like this.

Almost every hotel on the Priceline history for the four Suffolk areas (Hauppauge, Macarthur, Stony Brook, and Wading River) are full on their own sites, with the exception of very expensive hotels...
The rates varied a bit between the different zones, but seemed about average.

I'm not following as these seem contradictory??

If your first quote is correct and most hotels are sold-out i think this is going to be a tough bid, but if you indicate which zone(s) and star rating you want to try first we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The rates are usually average, but the hotels are mostly booked. I can see the prices for next weekend and for last weekend and they are average, but this weekend is booked. I just noticed that if I stay an extra day, a couple hotels will let me book the three nights, but their prices are almost double regular weekend days (~300). Because of this, I think I may have better luck in the farther regions.

If I understand rebidding correctly, if I change the area/region (county in this case - the collective group of zones you can group together for a single bid), this works just like changing/adding a zone and I can instantly rebid (edit - it's a new bid not a rebid isn't it)? If this is so, I think I would want a strategy that tried the closest region 1st (Suffolk), then the 2nd (Commack), then the 3rd (Nassau), then wait the 24 hours and start back in the 1st. How does this sound (if possible):

SUFFOLK

3* Hauppauge only

rebid adding Stony Brook

2.5* Hauppauge only

rebid adding Stony Brook (since the only 2.5* there is 100% booked)

COMMACK

2.5* Brentwood only

rebid adding Copiague

NASSAU

3* Huntington only

rebid adding Rockville Centre

I only have 1 rebid zone for each region, but there are 3 regions, and 2 star levels I'm ok with in the closest region. Since I'm changing the entire region, not just the zone, does it start as a new bid entirely? If so, I should be able to do the above in order. Otherwise, I'd have to do it in the order: 3* Suffolk, 3* Nassau, 2.5* Suffolk, 2.5* Commack. Sorry for the confusion, but the rebid thread wasn't clear on zones vs the groups of zones (what I call regions). Most people probably aren't as flexible about where they stay. If my strategy above works, and knowing that the Suffolk area is almost totally booked, Commack notably booked, and Nassau still has some decent availability, at what percentage of the normal rates should I start at for each region?

Since I'm changing the entire region, not just the zone, does it start as a new bid entirely? If so, I should be able to do the above in order. Otherwise, I'd have to do it in the order: 3* Suffolk, 3* Nassau, 2.5* Suffolk, 2.5* Commack.
Yes, changing the region is treated as entirely new bid so you should be able to do the above in the order you have posted, but i'll add this one caveat:
SUFFOLK

3* Hauppauge only

rebid adding Stony Brook

2.5* Hauppauge only

rebid adding Stony Brook (since the only 2.5* there is 100% booked)

There is a risk adding Stony Brook here since 1) you don't know if there is only one hotel in the zone which is 2.5* rated. While there may only be one 2.5* property reported to the board in this zone, there could always be others not yet 'known'. As well, although rare, there have been instances where a hotel is won thru priceline / HOTWIRE where it is otherwise showing sold-out on their own website. Therefore, you should only add Stony Brook if you're willing to accept a 2.5* property in this zone.

What is the best price for a hotel at each of the zone/star level combinations above for your specific dates (the rates the weekend before or after are meaningless in regards to the amount you should bid for this weekend) What is your maximum bid for each zone/star level combination?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]