Priceline Hotel: bidding strategy Sep. 13-17, 2011 NYC please

tignor
By tignor,
in

Hi there. I'm requesting a bidding strategy please. We have a cancelable 2.5* Comfort Inn booked at $224/night but would like a higher star rating and/or for less money if possible.

I have lots of time and I will try the strategy once a week. I asked a year ago for a strategy around the same time frame (checking to make sure every time what my re-bid zones were) but we ended up not going. Can I still use this strategy, or should I change it? It was a good one, but things may have changed slightly.

Would like to try for a 4* until mid-August or so, then will add 3.5* and, maybe early September, I may add 3* just for the heck of it. Our top price is $190 (due to the taxes and fees, we figured out that would be our max to bid per night). Zones we'd like: TS, MTW, MTE, MSG, ESB and CPS (CPS 4* only, and our last choice). We do not want to stay Downtown, Chelsea, UES, UWS, Queens, Long Island or Hell's Kitchen.

Thanks so much! I'll post my results and non results, and will use the PRICELINE link through this website. We are also periodically checking Hotwire, using the link here, too.

Welcome back :)

Zones we'd like: TS, MTW, MTE, MSG, ESB and CPS (CPS 4* only, and our last choice)
Should we include CPS in a bidding strategy with the other zones or not?

Let us know and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Whew! found my post from a year ago: Priceline New York City

this is what you told me then that I'd like to consider:

"At the 4* level all the 'known' MTE properties should suit your needs just fine, but at the 3.5* level there are hotels which enter the mix which may be a bit far east for your liking... namely the Millennium UN. You should look at the location of this property and determine if you want to include this zone in your 3.5* and under bidding.

Likewise, at the 3.5* level in the CPS is the Hudson hotel which has notoriously small rooms... otherwise it's a decent hotel with generally good reviews, but you need to expect and be prepared for a very small room. For some the room is just a place to sleep and it's fine, for others they prefer to avoid this zone at this star level."

My needs are the same as my post last year. So, here is what I asked for that gave me the great bidding strategy last time (even though we didn't go after all): Top bid $190. 4* in (by preference) MTW, TS, MTE, ESB, MSG, CPS, then (removing zones MTE and CTE) 3.5*, then 3* .

THANK YOU!

...(by preference) MTW, TS, MTE, ESB, MSG, CPS, then (removing zones MTE and CTE) 3.5*, then 3* .

I'm assuming you're not willing to pay more to stay in the MTW zone vs. the TS zone vs. the MTE zone, etc, etc and your ultimate goal is the least expensive 4* or better in any of the zones you've listed above?

From your most recent post, i assume we should include CPS in the 4* bidding?

Please confirm, although i'll add that a quick look at current rates i'm doubtful you'll currently be successful at the 4* level.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I doubt I will be successful at the 4* level too, but I figured I'd give it a shot by bidding once a week until late August, then adding 3.5* and 3* as I get closer. I do have a room reserved but if I could get something nicer, even if not much cheaper, I'd be very happy. The room I have reserved has good reviews on Trip Advisor so all would not be lost if I didn't get a successful Priceline room. I'll take my time and try, it will be fun!

So, yes, CPS and MTE can be included at the 4* level. So, a bidding strategy for up to $190 starting at, oh, $120 or so with TS, MTW, MTE, ESB, CPS for 4*, then 3.5* for zones TS, MTW, ESB and MSG.

Thank you!

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* TS, MTW, MTE, ESB...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS, MTW, MTE, ESB, CPS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190

We'll cover 3.5* bidding in August if/when you're ready to try that since rates may change between now and then.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

I want a 4* for Sept 18 and 19 so will keep checking on your progress.
If you would like assistance with your stay, please start a new thread. Thanks.

If/when you're ready to commit to a purchase I would recommend that you do start a NEW TOPIC for your own stay... your trip is for different dates then those above, and even just one day difference can have a dramatic effect on rates. As well, the stay above is mostly midweek nites which are typically more expensive then weekend nites, and your stay contains a Sunday nite, traditionally the slowest nite of the week, which can bring down the average cost of your stay (vs. the OP's trip above).

Thanks for the bidding strategy. I used it, but I was unsuccessful today. I'll try again next weekend.

Jane--it wouldn't hurt at all for you to start your own thread and ask for your own bidding strategy. These guys are here to help you, and your situation is different from mine. You can ask for exactly what zones you want, they may be different from mine, and you are looking at a weekend but I'm staying mid-week. Plus, the longer you wait, the more the rates may rise. They could fall too, but I wouldn't take the chance.

I made a reservation at a Comfort Inn on 44th street with my AAA number and got a pretty good rate. It's a 2.5*, so I'm trying for something nicer if not cheaper. I can cancel it up to the day before. It will be a fine room if we don't get a Priceline win, but I'm still trying because there is a lot of fun in the game. :)

unsucessful today again. I have hope, though, since someone on this board posted a 3.5* win the week before and prices seem to be slowly dropping (a few dollars at a time) according to hotwire and Hotels.com. I feel like I'm right on the cusp so I'll continue with this 4* until August, when I'll add in 3.5* bidding. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried again today, unsucessful. I think I'm still too far away for a busy time of year and will be sucessful later.

However, what do you think of adding in Hell's Kitchen? I know the only hotel that's been reported is Ink48, and there is the possibility of something new sneaking in, but Ink48 is fabulous and it's in the same area that we'd like and I believe within walking distance of the theatre district (which is our main reason for going)0.

Thanks!

There are few hotels overall in that area, and Ink48 remains the only 4* reported (and while I may be missing something, it looks as if it still is.) Additionally, the Intrepid Air/Space Museum - which I think is really a must-see - is also right nearby.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I think I'll add HK in with my CPS bids, then. Still plenty of time and I'm having fun with the "hunt." Thanks, Aaron. If I don't get something by mid-August, we'll add in 3.5, too. I'm sure I'll get something and if not, the Comfort Inn will be fine.

If/when you need to lower your star rating to 3.5* note that you may want to change your zone choices... MSG often becomes a good choice, but you may want to consider removing MTE (some hotels a 15 minute walk to the subway) and/or CPS (contains the Hudson Hotel which has very small rooms). We can discuss further and cross this bridge if/when necessary, but didn't want you to lower on a whim without taking these changes into consideration first.

Good luck.

Well, I added in HK today with CPS and was still unsuccessful.

I am still very early, though.

Thanks, Aaron and thereuare for all your help and advice. If I decide to do 3.5 later (lots of Helmsley wins lately, I see!) I will let you know and will drop CPS and MTE out for those very reasons! :) Thanks, again.

• 3 weeks later...

4*, $190 top bid, MTW, MTE, CPS, ESB, TS. I'm using HK as my first rebidding zone (I know it may "take" but I'm good with that, I decided to add it after the above bidding strategy and it works to plug up the missing Brooklyn re-bidding zone since they went 4* last week), then Coney Island, LI, MSG, Queensborough and UES.

Just nothing open, yet, but I have hope I'll get something. Hotwire prices keep dropping, for instance there is a 3* ESB hotel on Hotwire (I think Murray Hill Estates) currently at $183 that was over $250 when I first started looking, and it's very early yet. I have a cancelable reservation at a Comfort Inn we will be fine with should we have to use it. I'm really fine with trying right now, it's so early.

I have considered that I'm getting rejected because of that Friday night being a different set price, but I'm unwilling to split my bids. May do so the week before we leave (our cancelable is cancelable up to 24 hours before) but I'm really not sure I want to do it on a 4 night trip.

I figured I'll add 3.5* in late August and 3* in September bidding more than once a week, then picking up my bids to every day the week before.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I think it's time to break out the new strategy.

Can we re-do a 4* strategy, max $200, for the following zones, in order of preference: MTE, MTW, TS, ESB, HK, Chelsea, and CPS.

Then, can we do a 3.5* strategy, max $200, for the following zones in order of preference: MTW, TS, ESB, HK, and MSG.

Having trouble getting something but we do have a cancelable room reserved that will be fine if we have to use it--will keep trying for a 4* add the 3.5 in a week or so, but looks like it's a very busy time of year plus one weekend night may be messing with us (we don't want to split the bid just yet). Will keep you up to date on winning or losing bids and, of course, always use the links from this website. Thank you!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]