Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego (Coastal) rebid question

msufan90
By msufan90,
in

Hello!

This is my first try at using Priceline. I have been "studying up" and have placed a bid for San Diego, Coastal, June 28- July 3rd, 4 star. I started my bid at $55 and got rejected. I plan on increasing the bids by $5 each time and want to rebid. I am planning on adding a new area on my rebid which does not have a 4* hotel so I can up the price by $5. Can you please confirm for me that the following areas would be safe to add (one by one) in my rebid:

Carlsbad

Del Mar

Escondido

mission Valley

Point Loma

Sorrento Mesa

I don't want to goof this up by adding an area I dont' want and then actually get a hotel in that area. How many rebids do I get?

Thanks so much!

Kathy

All the areas you listed are good free rebids. You can also use Miramar - Rancho Penasquitos.

You can even use Coronado if you keep your bid under $100 per night as we never see a 4* for under $100 in this area.

Guest aldo

You can maximize the free rebids by using all but one area. If not successful, start over with your preferred area plus that one area you didn't use. You can then continue by adding the free rebid areas you had already used, one at a time. This allows for alot of rebidding, so you can start low and bid in smaller increments if you want. Just remember, summer in San Diego is very popular. It may take more than one attempt. Keep trying, and good luck!

Thank you for your help!!

I rebid (using the 7 areas without 4*) and worked up to $100 (rejected). So now do I have wait 72 hours to bid again? Aldo, I'm assuming I can't use your suggesting for starting over since I used all the 7 areas in my rebid. Maybe I didn't understand your instructions.

What would you guess will be the price I will end up with (roughly) since it is summer?

Guest aldo

This will be a busy time in San Diego, with the holiday weekend. There may not be any availability on PL right now. It could be that inventory won't be released until closer to your dates. Try again in 72 hours, and book a back-up in the meantime. When you go back to rebid, don't add the last free rebid area. Start a new bid instead with Coastal and that area, then you can rebid with each of your other 6 areas again.

But, if you don't mind Coronado (most people will tell you it's just as nice, if not nicer, than the Coastal area), you can go back now and rebid "4* Coastal and Coronado", then add those other 7 areas, one at a time. Since you know $100 isn't enough right now, and Coronado never comes up less than that, you can start at that price and go up- if you're willing to spend that much. Even so, you still may not be successful if there's no availability.

If you're flexible, it might be easier to get a 4* Downtown under $100...

Well I went back in and started a new bid adding Coronado as suggested. I got up to $125 per night and was still rejected. Hmmmm. Not sure I want to go much higher. Any suggestions as to where to stay or any "specials" going on? Maybe I should try 3* instead of 4? I have not been able to find anything. Summer may have been a mistake to take this trip to San Diego but I have to go when my daughter is out of school.

Thanks again!

Rates are currently high for your dates and i think it will take more than you have already bid.

It may be early, but would you consider SPLITTING YOUR BID?

In the meantime i would book a cancellable back-up... EasyClickTravel is cancellable and i would check there to see if there is anything worthwhile.

NOTE: anyone else following along, do NOT rely on the list above to determine your own re-bids as they have changed between the time posted and the time a new user is reading this... if you need help please post a NEW TOPIC

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well I decided to go up to $135 and still got rejected. I don't want to split the reservation mostly because I have a 5 year old and would prefer to just stay in one location. I think I will book something refundable and maybe come back in a few weeks and try again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]