Priceline Hotel: 2* Portsmouth-Kittery Americas Best Inn

FOEDOGG
By FOEDOGG,
in

I won a priceline bid at the Westin Copley for 5/2-3 for $88 & I tried to extend my stay another night but was shot down. Priceline more or less quoted me, "We couldn't find a hotel willing to accept your bid of $88, but if you're willing to pay $265 we can get you a room at the same hotel". Hmmm, let me think about that.... NOT!

So, I rebid May 3-4 w/4* up to $104, 3.5* to $98 again and nothing. I have no idea what's going on in Boston those next couple of days, but the prices seem MUCH higher than just a day or 2 previous. Getting close to my price limit, so any advice would be appreciated. I "saw" the Hilton Back Bay on lastminutetravel.com for $135ish for those dates, but that's a bit much for me. Would like to maintain 3.5*-4* range near downtown, same hotel clearly doesn't matter (although it'd be more convenient). Should I wait a bit or push it up a little more right now? Max budget is +/-$105/nt before taxes. Thanks!

Man's Chief Purpose Is To Live, Not To Exist - Jack London

I rebid May 3-4 w/4* up to $104, 3.5* to $98 again and nothing.

Which zones did you include on the above bidding?

Surprising there aren't that many hotel rooms in Boston and moderately sized events can push rates substantially higher fairly easily.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I bid in ALL areas except Cambridge & Logan Airport. I understand the weather's warmer, it's midweek, yadda-yadda, just surprised by the gargantuan pricing disparities from a Monday to a Tuesday in early May.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Used the Better Bidding PRICELINE link to start. Started bidding a couple weeks ago after I found out that my Boston budget was WAY over-maxed because of the Red Hat conference on these same dates. Started at $35 & bid up to $59 w/$1 rebids day after day until I was finally accepted @ America's Best Inns. Expected MUCH less cost for Portsmouth, but apparently it's busy all around the NE this week. Seems cozy, I'm not exactly a diva, so it should work fine & the Tripadvisor Reviews are good. Expedia had the same place for $62 that night, so I saved a whopping $3, woo-hoo! Plus, we were headed to Markey's Lobster Pound in Seabrook for lunch that day anyhow, so it'll be a perfect hotel to rest at after my crustacean-induced coma :)

America's Best Inn Portsmouth

383 Woodbury Ave

Portsmouth, NH 03801

Your Offer: $59

Taxes & Fees: $13.25

Total: $72.25

Thanks for the info & help guys, ended up nixing the Boston hotel quest that day after I hit a budget ceiling & am instead taking a roadtrip to NH & Maine those days, & scored America's Best Inns Portsmouth. Recorded the win in the NH Forum.

Congratulations on your success!

Sorry to see that this stay will cost more than you originally anticipated, but with the conference in town, many hotels may be able to sell most rooms on their own and therefore offer very little inventory (and what is offered may not be discounted by much) to the opaque suppliers.

However, at least this is just for one nite and glad that it should work well for your plans.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay (and lobster :) )

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]