Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park) Palmer House

GritsinNH
By GritsinNH,
in

This isn't a local place (it's a mini-chain that extends across a few states), but I like Flat Top Grill from a value perspective. There is a location about a block or so away from your hotel. The concept is a "make your own stir fry". You select from a range of ingredients, including sauces, and the ingredients are prepared and brought to your table. I wouldn't say that the food is high-end certainly, but I would certainly say that it is a few steps above average fast food. For $14.99 at dinner (I think it's $9.99 at lunch), you can go back as many times as you want. Best food? No. Good food and value? In my experience, yes. Additionally, the concept is fun - you can try a different combination of things each time.

If you sign up for their email program on their website, they email you birthday coupons and other offers.

Miller's Pub is right by the Palmer and a very good old-fashioned pub/restaurant. Nearby the Palmer on Adams is the Berghoff, which is a legendary Chicago restaurant/institution that's more than 100 years old. Heaven on Seven is nearby, as well, although the famed Chicago cajun restaurant is only open for breakfast/lunch at this location.

Lastly, although a chain, Corner Bakery is a good option located at the corner of Monroe and Wabash right near the hotel.

As noted above, I would suggest avoiding Navy Pier, which is a tourist trap and not an optimal use of great space. I'd far rather suggest Lincoln Park Zoo, which is a great zoo (and free.) Additionally, LP Zoo can be combined with visits to the nearby Old Town neighborhood, the Chicago Historical Society, the Lincoln Park neighborhood and there's also the Peggy Notabert Nature Center (whose core exhibit is a live butterfly exhibit, there is an admission cost) nearby. Old Town offers the famed Second City Theater, as well as some neat restaurants and shops, including one of my favorite stores, the Spice House.

Do note that this area can get quiet later in the evening. The area to the North of the river is more open in the evening.

Thanks for the great suggestions. Is Flat Top Grill one of the Lettuce Entertain You restaurants? We tried a couple of those when here a couple of years ago, and did enjoy them - as you say, not stellar but definitely good food and good value.

Had a drink at the Berghoff at the end of a "happy hour" (5pm) Architecture Tour that trip, too. And ate there mabye 10-15 years ago - before it closed and reopened. The rest you mentioned are new to me, so I will definitely keep them in mind, thanks!

We enjoyed Lincoln Park Zoo last time here, and Second City, so I guess I was in Old Town but all I recall is SC. Or is that where Anne Sather was? (and we went to Navy Pier - walked through and left - I agree with you on that one!)

One option for this time is hot Tix. Since the area isn't busy at night, maybe sitting in a theatre is the thing to do.

Looking foward to it - but I'm sure it will go by much too quickly! Again, thanks for the tips. :)

Flat Top is not part of the Lettuce chain, but actually, would make a really good fit within that chain. You can go to hottix.org to get an idea of what hot Tix is offering beforehand, and then order online or go to one of the locations. Anne Sather is further North; Second City is in sort of the center of the Old Town area; there are some neat shops and restaurants in the area extending a few blocks South.

Enjoy your trip. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]