Priceline Hotel: Worcester/Auburn/Sturbridge 3* Aug 1-2, 2011 - Rejected

mfritz
By mfritz,
in

Bid $42 3* in Worcester/Auburn in hopes of getting Residence Inn. Bid was rejected.

Added Auburn as a rebid zone and bid $45. Again bid was rejected.

Added Sturbridge 3* and raised bid to $50. Sounds like I would also open up the option of getting the Sturbridge Host Hotel, which also sounds ok. Bid was rejected.

Will try again later.

Went back through history of bids of these areas and it looks like for the dates I'm wanting, this price is in the area of acceptance. Any advice?

Looking for hotel in Worcester area for August 1-2, 2011. When I request Worcester area, a variety of others come up, including "West Loop." I don't see that area listed on any of the hotel lists so I'm having a hard time identifying this hotel.

West Loop Area (came up when I put in Worcester) $53

Amenities include:

Pool

Restaurant

Laundry Facilities

It seems like this whole zone breaks down in to areas that don't appear to be listed on the hotel list. It's recommended in 90% of hotwire customer reviews.

For that same date, another hotel I can't identify is a 2* in the Sturbridge/Southbridge area, which also comes up when I put in Worcester. It's showing for $44 and recommended in 85% of hotwire customer reviews.

Amentities include:

Pool

Restaurant

Golf Nearby

Tennis Nearby

Any idea what these hotels are.

Still trying. Here's an update. Maybe I am bidding too early.

2nd attempt:

Worcester 3* bid $51

Added Sturbridge 3* bid $52

Added Auburn 3* bid $53

Rejected

3rd attempt

Worcester 3* bid $54

Auburn 3* bid $55

Sturbridge3* bid $56

rejected

So, I decided then to try a new area

These are not 'hotel rich' areas so there may not be as much competition between hotels and therefore you may not see rates discounted as deeply as they are in the 'city proper'.

What is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel in any of these zones? What is the purpose of this stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I checked a both the HOTWIRE and PRICELINE history bids for the Worcester/Sturbridge area (same date plus/minus a month). Looks like I could get a 3* for around anywhere between $50-$75.

I did the same for Springfield and it looks like maybe that could go for a little less.

The reason for the trip is that I'm leaving Holland, Michigan on July 31 and dropping my daughter off at college in Hyde Park, NY. (Will be looking for a hotel along the way to spend the night but will work on that later. Any recommendations are appreciated). Have to drop her off on August 1 and then that early evening headed to Boston.

Don't really want to drive the whole way there as I'll likely have driven a long time during the day already and then have moved my daughter in to her dorm. Was thinking I'd go maybe half way or a little more to Boston on August 1.

Already pricelined the two dates for Boston (August 2-4). Then I have two nights reserved in Nantucket (August 4-6), another two in Providence, RI (August 6-8) and then headed back to Michigan on August 8. I'll also be looking for a room somewhere between Providence and Holland, Michigan to make that drive in two days. Will be searching for that night in the future as well. As with the day I originally leave Michigan, I still haven't figured out the route, so again, any recommendations would be appreciated. I could head home a variety of ways, either through the US or through Canada.

Don't really want to drive the whole way there as I'll likely have driven a long time during the day already and then have moved my daughter in to her dorm. Was thinking I'd go maybe half way or a little more to Boston on August 1.

So to confirm, for this nite of your stay, you're en route from Hyde Park, NY to Boston, and need a place along this route?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It looks like Worcester only saves you about 45min-1hour of driving that day (vs. heading straight into Boston).

I think you can be successful in the Springfield zone if you continue to bid up towards the upper end of your range (towards $75).

Would BDL airport take you too far out of your route?

It looks like the airport is 10 miles south out of my way. I guess if I'm going to go an extra 10 miles, I'd rather head that much further towards Boston. But I think I'll be exhausted from driving so much, so I'd prefer not to if I don't have to. Probably better rates by the airport?

...I'd prefer not to if I don't have to. Probably better rates by the airport?

Why not continue bidding towards your $75 limit in the previous zones which work better for your needs... then you can consider expanding the zone(s) if unsuccessful up to that point. The BDL Airport would be a little cheaper, but i'm guessing you'd choose convenience over $20 or so?

Thanks. I'll keep trying! Another question. When HOTWIRE says that they have a hotel that is, say, recommended in 85% of Hotwire customer reviews…where are those reviews? Do they not post them? Are they talking about BB reviews? Trip Advisor reviews? Not sure. It may help with hotel selection. But who knows if that means there was one reviewer or twenty. Makes a big difference.

There's a 2* in one of my areas that the zone has not been reported that says it has received great reviews, and is in my price range, but a little cautious about it as a 2*.

They're reviews which are received by HOTWIRE and are not published. I wouldn't ignore these numbers, but i'd only give little weight to them, and use them as a 'tipping point' and not a sole factor in making a decision. If the hotel shows a Tripadvisor rating, then using these two pieces of information together can make each more meaningful, but on it's own i'd give the HOTWIRE percent recommended little weight in making a decision.

mfritz,

I'm all too familar with college moves and might be able to offer some advice on route planning and potential stops along the way. I'm in the Chicago area with daughters attending college in Boston and NH. For four years I've spent every May, June, August and September moving one or the other to or from school (and I'm really looking forward to the upcoming graduations)! Once you get to the NY thruway, you and I travel similar routes and I might have some tips on places to stay. My first question would be how far you want to travel the first day and how far you want left to travel to Hyde Park the second day. I'd ask the same about your return from Providence.

I have to agree with thereuare about Worcester -- I'd just continue on to Boston. Springfield looks like it's about half way, so if it were me I'd stop there or stay in Hyde Park overnight and then make the trip to Boston in the a.m.

If you want to post some travel distance parameters, I'd be happy to try to offer some stopover alternatives.

And I have to ask -- am I correct in suspecting your daughter is an incoming freshman? Sounds like you've decided to ease the separation by treating yourself to a little vacation. If I'm right, it's a great idea! (We did the same when we dropped the second twin off freshman year.)

Hi there.

I'm thinking I wouldn't mind driving the bulk of the trip to New York on the first day. Maybe 8-9 hours or so. Then get up in the morning and drive the rest of the way to Hyde Park and be there by 1pm.

That night, after I leave Hyde Park, I think I like the idea of staying in Springfield, MA.

I'd love any advice you can offer on how far to drive legs of the trip and best areas/places to stay.

This trip out east was actually planned for quite some time as I'm running a race in Providence on August 7. Thought my daughter was going to go to school in either Chicago or Denver, never thinking it would be New York. I guess I kind of got lucky with her choosing New York and since she starts August 1, I'm just moving my trip around a bit and heading east earlier and coming back earlier. It works out quite well.

When I leave Providence, i have two days to get home. So I'm open to any suggestions on where to stay/route to take, in order to somewhat continue my vacation all the way home! Maybe drive about half way or so and stay in a place that allows for a good dinner, some sight seeing, etc. Then the next day I can take my time getting home as well.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]