Priceline Hotel: 4* London (Kensington-Earls Court) Copthorne Tara

celedon
By celedon,
in

We're going to have a siblings reunion in Europe--some of us are in Canada; some in Australia so it seemed like a stellar idea to meet in Italy! But, first, two of us would like to visit London, en route, and turn to BB for some bidding advice--also stellar!

From what I've read a 4* in Kensington would seem central and reasonably priced. I notice that South Bank is the only rebid. Others seem to use Mayfair and Bloomsbury in the bidding process.

Will later be bidding a Heathrow airport hotel for return.

I'm bidding early because I'll be off line from mid June to mid Sept. (But if need be I could find a site.)

Much obliged for any and all advice.

Thanks Thereuare. I think my zones are Kensington, Mayfair and Bloomsbury. I'm hoping to get a Kensington hotel for $85 ish. (Not how it works, I know, but it's a nice thought. ) Top bid at about $110 perhaps and if that doesn't work out, will consider staying at an airport hotel. Well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

You're right about South Bank being the only "true" rebid.

Most people are willing to add Mayfair to a Kensington bid because Mayfair hotels are usually much higher-priced than Kensington ones, and because they wouldn't mind getting any of the Mayfair 4* hotels.

Bloomsbury is typically more expensive than Kensington and less than Mayfair. Some people would not like all of the 4* hotels there, so you might want to research that first.

Those zones are good ones. You might want to consider adding in the City zone as a fourth rebid especially if your stay is at a weekend and you don't want to be in the thick of the tourist scene. Although the area is fairly quiet at weekends it's very central with excellent transport links and there's loads of things to see & do within walking distance St Pauls, Millennium Bridge, Tate Modern, South Bank - Festival Hall etc

I'd start with a lowball bid for Kensington of $70. If you get a counteroffer, report back. I've gotten a counteroffer for almost every European bid I've done in the past year, except for a few less-common zones, which suggests to me that if there is inventory Priceline will counteroffer (at least in Europe).

Just to add that I agree with WillTravel's bidding advice. Kensington is not exactly central, but it is easy to get to central London from it. Mayfair/Soho *is* central (especially to theaters).

If it were me, if I couldn't get Kensington for under $85, (you should be getting counteroffers around $90-99) I would consider *starting a completely new bid* for Mayfair only staring at either $95 or $100 (you should be getting counters about $120 - if they're in the $140-$150 range I don't think you'll get a room for this low) and upping to $105.

That's the one caveat I would make about using Mayfair as a rebid - if you'd like to shoot for Mayfair alone, you can't do that if you've already used it as a free rebid zone. But you've got enough time to bid a few times if need be.

celedon... lot's of additional (good) advice on this one from those that know the area well.

Did you want to try to follow a combinations of willtravel and lwitchel's plans? (or did this additional info provide you with other options?) Based upon their replies i will provide a strategy for a low priced Kensingon first and then Mayfair on its own... if that's the route you want to try to take.

Seems as if there is more and more info on this one and a few different ways to go about it based upon personal preference (of whether price, zone, etc is more important)... just want to make sure we try to give you what works best for you.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for all this great advice. (If anyone ever needs infomration on Nova Scotia, I'm your gal)

First of all WillTravel, I set off to make my Kensington bid and got bogged down in the search for the Savings Barn URL. Found it this am with all the other messages from iwitche, kayess and thereuare. Wrote a response, lost it somehow.

So my number one objective is inexpensive in Kensingon. If need be, I could put up with a bit more luxury in Mayfair but we are not going to the theatre and will likely content ourselves with walking tours (which muster at Tube stations) and early nights.

So I think Kensington, Mayfair, Westminster, and since we are staying over a weekend, City may be called into play.

Thanks once again. You are so helpful!

I tried the $70 Kensington bid suggested by WillTravel and got the following message. "If you are willing to raise your price by $22, you can try the same request again right now." I don't know what this is telling me except the obvious. I leave it to better tea leaf readers than me.

In my previous post, was I clear enough to point a way to a strategy?

Bid accepted for Copthorne Tara Kensington. Was hoping for the Millennium Gloucester but at least it is cheap and in Kensington! Some of the reviews bring Fawlty Towers to mind. I must bring my sense of humour and a flashlight.

Thanks everyone.

Your Offer Price: $81.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $162.00

Taxes & Service Fees:

$37.33

Total Charges: $199.33

Previous bid of $70 rejected.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]