Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Algonquin

yukonsara
By yukonsara,
in

Hi There,

My husband and I are in New York June 17-20. I have two free nights in a hotel that I have booked for June 18th and 19th. I'm looking for one room for June 17th. We really want a nice hotel and from the list I would be happy with any hotels in the MTE. So far I have only bid MTE.

I have bid

$130 - rejected

$140 - rejected

$143 - rejected

$145 - rejected

$146 - MTE and W

$150 - said that if I added another $20 to my bid I could get a hotel.

What should my next move be? $170 + taxes and fees is a lot! Should I wait until closer to the trip. I would be willing to do MTW but would prefer MTE.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Seasonally this is the tail end of an expensive time in NYC and there is no telling of rates will come down as you get closer to your arrival... or go even higher.

If you want to stick to your budget i'd suggest including other zones besides MTE as this will give more hotels the opportunity to accept your bid (and at the lowest price possible).

At the 4* level the MTE, MTW, TS, CPS and ESB are all typically centrally located and work well for the average user. However, rates for these dates are somewhat high so even by adding these other zones i'm not certain that $150 will be enough for a 4*.

What hotel do you have for the other two nites? Is the deal you have there for any two nites that it would be possible to book that hotel for 6/17-6/19 and then purchase the nite of 6/19 on your won? (in lieu of the nite of 6/17 that you're currently seeking)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We are staying at the Hyatt Andaz on 5th. We have 2 free certificates. We can switch the nights around although we are going to the wedding on Sunday. I thought it might be a pain to switch hotels the morning of the wedding. I noticed that the prices on Sunday night were higher at some hotels and cheaper at others. If it saves us a lot of $$$ I would definitely switch the free nights around.

Any other suggestions? I'm not sure if booking this early is a bad idea...

Thanks for your help!

Sunday is typically the slowest hotel nite of the week (especially in NYC) and this typically results in it being the least expensive nite of the week as well.

If you search HOTWIRE for 6/19-6/20 you'll see most 4* midtown hotels prices $125-$155... including a 4* MTE property at $141/nite... so this would almost definitely be cheaper then trying for the nite of June 17th (and also provide better value for your free nite certificates... using them for the more expensive Friday and Saturday nites vs. the less expensive Sunday nite)

Where is the wedding being held?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The wedding is being held on a cruise ship at the Manhattan Cruise terminal. I'm thinking of possibly changing my free nights to save some cash.

There is a Hotwire (Downtown - Soho) hotel listed for June 19. 4.5 * for $117! Seems like a heck of a deal. I don't mind staying in a different area for a night if the hotel is awesome.

Any idea on what this property could be? I didn't see a 4.5 in the Hotwire hotel list for SOHO.

I started bidding again. I put in Soho for $117. It was rejected. Then I accidentally added Midtown west instead of east and I got the Algonquin for $118. A good price but I'm a little bummed because the reviews for the hotel aren't great. It seems much more like a 3.5 then a 4.

Guess I can't complain for the $$$$.

I changed my free nights so the winning bid was for Sunday, June 20th.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]