Hotwire Hotel: identify chicago hotels

cobbruth
By cobbruth,
in

I hope someone can help with this.

Hotwire shows the following hotels in the magnificent mile- streeterville area of Chicago:

4* - $112 - smoke free rooms, fitness center, Pool(s), restaurant(s), business center, High-speed internet access - recommended by 90%

4-1/2 * - $144 - smoke free rooms, fitness center, restaurant(s), business center, High-speed internet access - recommended by 90%

3 -1/2* - $159 - Boutique hotel, smoke free rooms, fitness center, restaurant(s), business center, High-speed internet access - recommended by 95%

2-1/2* - $137 - smoke free rooms, complimentary breakfast, high speed internet access - still gathering reviews for this property

questions:

1) can anyone identify the hotels?

2) These prices are for arrival in about 5 days. Do prices typically go down as you get closer to the check-in date, go up, or stay the same, on Hotwire?

3) Why would the 3-1/2 star hotel be the most expensive?

Also, Hotwire shows the following hotels in the North Michigan Avenue - Watertower area of Chicago:

4* - $123 - fitness center, restaurant(s), business center, High-speed internet access - recommended by 95%

3 -1/2* - $111 - Boutique hotel, fitness center, restaurant(s), business center, High-speed internet access, golf nearby - recommended by 85%

Can anyone identify the hotels?

Thanks, Cobbruth

Welcome to BetterBidding!

1) can anyone identify the hotels?
For any assistance please post the date(s) of your stay.

Have you checked the Hotwire Hotel List for potential matches first? Are you really interested in 4* hotels as well as 2.5* properties?? (especially when the 2.5* is more expensive then the 4*?? :) )

2) These prices are for arrival in about 5 days. Do prices typically go down as you get closer to the check-in date, go up, or stay the same, on Hotwire?
See the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.
3) Why would the 3-1/2 star hotel be the most expensive?
Each hotel sets their own prices based upon their own occupancy levels (ie- supply / demand), as well some hotels are willing to discount more deeply then others.
Also, Hotwire shows the following hotels in the North Michigan Avenue - Watertower area of Chicago:

4* - $123 - fitness center, restaurant(s), business center, High-speed internet access - recommended by 95%

3 -1/2* - $111 - Boutique hotel, fitness center, restaurant(s), business center, High-speed internet access, golf nearby - recommended by 85%

Can anyone identify the hotels?

Please check the Hotwire Hotel List for matches for the above and let us know your top choice(s) for what you find and/or any hotels which are not identified... then, once we know the dates of your stay, we'll be able to confirm what you think you're being offered as well as research any hotels not identified.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Actual dates of travel are Arrive Wed, April 6, 2011 and depart on Friday, April 8. Location is most important, as we want to be near the Watertower and Navy Pier area. It seems that both nearby zones (NMA River North and Mag Mile - Streeterville) extend quite a bit away from this area. We have kids and want to be able to walk the area. 4* is not necessary. Location is key.

As an aside, is there any way to avoid a $50 per night parking charge in these hotels?

Also, we need 2 beds, as we have 2 adults and 2 kids in the room

Also, we need 2 beds, as we have 2 adults and 2 kids in the room

A whole series of thoughts:

1. While Navy Pier is a popular family destination, I highly recommend the combo of Peggy Notabert Nature Center (admission cost) and Lincoln park Zoo (free), which are next to each other in the Lincoln Park area. The Zoo is great, and the Notabert has a beautiful butterfly exhibit. This is a bit of a ways North, but worthwhile (nice walk, or public transit is available.)

2. Parking in Chicago is terribly expensive everywhere; some of the city lots (Navy Pier, Millennium Park) are cheaper by comparison, but still pricey at $25 + tax. Hotels in the 'burbs are cheaper and most offer free parking, but it's then a matter of getting downtown on the Metra train.

3. Water Tower is a pretty decent walk from Navy Pier. If you want to grab some food and carry it out to Navy Pier (sort of a picnic in the city), then I'd recommend Fox and Obel Market and Cafe (fox-obel.com), which is just a few blocks to the West of Navy Pier on the corner of Illinois and McClurg. If you park at Navy Pier and stay towards the Water Tower area, you can walk along the lakeshore the whole way, or walk through the city.

4. The Mag Mile/Streeterville and NMA/WT areas look sizable, but there are few hotels towards the West border of the Mag Mile area (the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza would be the furthest W hotel in the Mag Mile zone), and those hotels that fall within the River North area often are near the Red Line subway. Chicago is quite walkable and there's quite a bit of public transit.

5. Regular rate, if you don't mind 1 KING + Sofabed, the Hilton Suites is $139 + coupon code BRIGHT11 takes $10 off per night on Expedia - $129. That hotel is right behind the Hancock Tower and a block from Water Tower. The Knickerbocker is $135.50 for a room w/2 beds; coupon BRIGHT11 takes it to $125.50. That hotel is around the corner from the Hilton, so same area, but the Hilton would offer larger rooms.

6. This ( $112 - smoke free rooms, fitness center, Pool(s), restaurant(s), business center, High-speed internet access -Mag Mile/4*) would likely be the Sheraton. While not a favorite property - not a bad hotel, I just found it very average and rather bland), that's in a terrific location near Navy Pier. The Hilton Suites for $17 more may be worthwhile for the added space.

7. I'm guessing the 3.5* Mag Mile would be Hotel 71 (which I wouldn't recommend) and the 4.5* Mag Mile/Streeterville area would either be the Intercontinental or Conrad; while both nice hotels, I think there are fine options cheaper. The Hilton Suites - if you didn't mind 1 + sofa - via Expedia with the $10 off per night coupon would be a particularly good option.

Additionally, there are some noticably cheaper options when searching for 2 rooms/2 adults/2 children; if two rooms for around $140-150 total is of interest, let us know and we could offer suggestions.

Please let us know if you have any questions before booking, and thank you for using the site's Expedia, PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Sounds like the Hilton Suites is the way to go, although we would be willing to consider the 2 rooms for $140-150 total if that would be a better situation. Please let me know what you have in mind.

Also, I see the Embassy Suites for $179 including breakfast. Is that a good option?

Thanks so much for all your good advice.

Hilton Suites now shows as not available on Expedia. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

The Hotel Sax is showing @ $177 on Expedia for a 2 doubles delxue room, but the benefit is a free parking special (be sure to select the two doubles option with the "free parking!" note. Coupon code BRIGHT11 takes $10 off per night. The free parking deal is nice and this hotel is centrally located within the city as a whole (it's right on the river), but it is a bit of a trek to the Water Tower or Navy Pier from the Sax's River North location. There is, however, a subway station a reasonable walk North and a lot of restaurants nearby (as well as a beautiful bowling alley in the same complex as the hotel.)

What appears to be the Sheraton is showing on HOTWIRE for $114; I'd rather suggest the Wyndham for $127 for a room w/2 beds (then BRIGHT11 takes $10 off - $117). While I have a couple of issues with that hotel (I think the rooms and public spaces are terrific; the customer service could be improved*, but if you don't need CS more than check-in/check-out, then the rest of the hotel is quite nice), I think it's a nicer property than the Sheraton for $3 more. The Sheraton would be near Navy Pier and the Wyndham is not far from Navy Pier, but the Wyndham is more in-between Water Tower and Navy Pier.

* - I was double charged at the Wyndham and it was surprisingly tough to get the problem fixed; the company told me I had to deal with the hotel itself. Otherwise, check-in/check-out and other staff have been pleasant the few times I've stayed there; my only note would be to check your bill at check-out. Still, I would prefer it over the Sheraton.

I see the Embassy Suites Downtown via Expedia for $179 (and then BRIGHT11 would take $10 off); that location is in River North, although further North than the Hotel Sax. It is nice to have the breakfast option at the hotel and there is a grocery nearby if you want to get things and bring them back to the refrigerator. Otherwise, if you went for the cheaper Wyndham, the savings can be used for one of the many nearby restaurants for breakfast.

Overall, despite being more towards the river/loop, I think the Hotel Sax deal with parking (again, be sure to select the option w/free parking) is very good - parking at the Sax is otherwise a whopping $52 per night (or if you parked in a lot nearby, you'd likely be looking at $25-35). Otherwise, a less expensive option would be the Wyndham, but with that you'd have to look for nearby parking.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE, Expedia or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]