Priceline Hotel: Failed bids 4*, 3*, 2.5* Philadelphia (Downtown)

pax42a
By pax42a,
in

Looking at going to Philadelphia and staying downtown from August 13-16. After reading the site and looking at the bid histories, I tried the following unsuccessful bids:

4* using free rebids went to $65

3* using free rebids went to $53

2.5* using free rebids went to $43

These seemed in line with other successful bids, but all were rejected.

A couple of questions:

Are there other hotels besides the Courtyard in the 2.5* category?

Should I try rebidding again after the 72 hours expires, or wait until closer to my arrival date? I realize I have some time flexibility still.

Any other thoughts on improving my chances would be much appreciated. I can still go a bit higher on the prices since the lowest rate showing on Hotwire right now is $77 for a 3.5* in City Center (West) which I'm guessing is probably the Wyndham.

pax

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The Courtyard would be the only hotel reported thus far... there may or may not be other hotels at the same star level offered in the area.

Rates don't look too bad for your dates, so it may possible that hotels simply have not released some inventory to the opaque players yet.

HOTWIRE has what i believe to most likely be the Wyndham for $68/nite. If you're a new customer you can use the code GIFTCARD06 to get $10/nite off that rate and that would bring you very close to your 3* priceline bid. (although this is in Priceline's 'University' zone and not Downtown... not sure how that location works for you)

You still have plenty of time between now and your stay so you could also choose to just wait and see if inventory opens up somewhat as you get closer to check-in, it depends upon how comfortable you are waiting and not having a reservation for your stay... some are fine with not having a reservation 1 week before their stay while others prefer to have everything booked 6+ months in advance.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll update further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your help -- both on my specific question and for your informative contributions throughout the site.

I read through the thread about bidding early versus bidding late and figured it was worth starting now since my travel dates are already firm. Having said that, I think I'll keep bidding for a while and monitor Hotwire since there is ample time before I leave.

I appreciate the info about the extra $10/night off at Hotwire with GIFTCARD06. Can I combine that with the Entertainment Book $30 discount? If so, that would probably make it worth booking now.

Go Blue!

pax

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]