Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) W Hotel New York

DaGoose
By DaGoose,
in

Used Priceline and got the W in NYC for $90. Fantastic hotel but you need to be aware that they will take advantage of priceline customers and upcharge at any opportunity. I reserved two rooms via priceline, my brother and I were gong to share a room, we are both 6'2 250 lbs. and upon check-in (9PM) he was told that we could only have a room with a queen bed, priceline policy. My brother then asked for a room with two beds and was told that none were available but that if he paid nearly $60 more they would give us a king size bed. Since a quuen would be tight for us he agreed to the upcharge, more than half of our winning bid. An hour later my sisters check in (11PM) and they asked for a room with two beds and got it, no up-charge. ???? I complained and here is the answer I got.

I'm writing you on behalf of our General Manager. Thank you for taking the time to write and share feedback from your most recent stay. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you encountered at check-in regarding your room request. Unfortunately when booking through a third party website, guests are subject to their terms and conditions as their bookings place guests in the standard hotel room. Websites such as Priceline do not offer a specific room type and/or bed. Our standard room, Cozy does not offer a king bed or two bed option, therefore if the room needs to be upgraded, then there is an upgrade fee added. I apologize for the confusion and the manner in which this was handled by my team. Please be assured I have taken this opportunity to share your comments with our management team so that we can ensure this is handled properly moving forward. Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable and enjoyable experience from start to finish and we are truly sorry that we did not carry out this promise. Please contact me if you need additional assistance and I'd be happy to help. Warm Regards,

If a queen bed is not acceptable you should be prepared to pay more, it is a great hotel but really was upset the way this was handled.

I have a different take on the above. As someone that uses priceline whenever I can, I understand that a few hotels are not going to be flexible on the room they give you. Whenever I need two beds, I gravitate to Hotwire and plug in 4 adults so that my two beds are guaranteed. If I do use priceline I am happy to at least have the option to pay more and get two beds. I have paid $20-40 on occasion and was happy to do it. I still end up saving over 50% off the regular rates for 2 beds at the hotel. Now most hotels have honored my bedding request for free, but I never expect them to do it. Sometimes a smile and casual conversation at check in gets you a room change for free. The Ironic situation occurred during a hotwire stay at the Westin Times square. Staying with my wife for our anniversary weekend. Just assumed I would get a queen or a king so never bothered to ask at check in. Of course I got to the room and it was two double beds. Went to front desk and was told no changes to hotwire reservations. Not even for an upcharge. I know none of this will make you feel better about your situation but it happens to all of us priceline/hotwire fans.

DaGoose,

Thank you for sharing your win and experience with the board... please begin to share your wins as you receive them so that others can benefit from the information.

I won't re-iterate billyblaze's comments, but keep in mind the possibility that when you checked-in there may have not been any 2 bedded rooms available, and in the interim that your sister arrived, a room may have been cleaned and become available.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Other than the rocky start, glad to see you enjoyed your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]