Priceline Hotel: 4* New Orleans (Convention Center) Hilton Riverside

Mtownmom
By Mtownmom,
in

Hello!

I bid today for New Orleans Downtown 4* arriving 3/16 & departing 3/18 with following bids:

Downtown $55

Added Garden District $60

Added Metaire $65

Added Airport $67

Added East $70

Added West Bank $75

Didn't even get an offer to up my bid to a certain amount for a win. Any suggestions on trying a different strategy tomorrow? Is the lockout time still 24 hours? Sorry it's been a while since I've used PL and even longer since I didn't get a hotel on the first day. I did use the PRICELINE link above.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I've been unsuccessful in bidding downtown the previous weekend (3/11-3/13) for a 4*, 3.5*, 3* downtown, going as high as $110. Used the same strategy for adding rebids and keep failing miserably. Don't know why prices are so high around this time!

Hello!

I bid today for New Orleans Downtown 4* arriving 3/16 & departing 3/18 with following bids:

Downtown $55

Added Garden District $60

Added Metaire $65

Added Airport $67

Added East $70

Added West Bank $75

Didn't even get an offer to up my bid to a certain amount for a win. Any suggestions on trying a different strategy tomorrow? Is the lockout time still 24 hours? Sorry it's been a while since I've used PL and even longer since I didn't get a hotel on the first day. I did use the PRICELINE link above.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Is the lockout time still 24 hours? Sorry it's been a while since I've used PL and even longer since I didn't get a hotel on the first day. I did use the PRICELINE link above.

Yes, the lock out is still 24 hours.

Did you check the Calendar of Wins above for your dates? Or for that matter, maybe just do a quick search on "new orleans" to give you a general idea of what is working lately.

You could also check Hotwire to see what they have to offer. While one generally does a little better with Priceline, it is handy to know Hotwire's numbers as it gives you a good idea for your max bid.

Romelle

superk4: $110 - yikes! Wonder if the problem is that it's close to Mardi Gras?

Romelle: There was a successful bid of $73 (for Intercontinental) that included those dates, but it was posted in Oct. of last year. There was also a January 3* French Quarter for $50 (Holiday Inn), so I might look at expanding my bid to that zone and level. If anyone has any insight on pros & cons of 3* in FQ, please chime in.

As far as Hotwire, it shows a 4.5 star for $92 and a 3 star for $72 on those dates in the Downtown area. Do I need to try to find out what hotels that would be for? I'm not very familiar with Hotwire. If I need to check anything else, just let me know. Thank you for your help!

shann76 - a Google search didn't really turn up anything major during that time. Maybe I could get my slightly different dates for $82. Do you mind telling me what it worked out to per night total with taxes & fees?

ADDING: It just occurred to me that St Patrick's Day is 3/17, so maybe that could have something to do with the higher prices during this time?

shann76 - a Google search didn't really turn up anything major during that time. Maybe I could get my slightly different dates for $82. Do you mind telling me what it worked out to per night total with taxes & fees?

ADDING: It just occurred to me that St Patrick's Day is 3/17, so maybe that could have something to do with the higher prices during this time?

My total with taxes was $207.76, but I did buy the travel insurance which was 10.00. I bet you are right, it probably is because of St. Pattys day. You might have better luck as the date gets closer, as they will want to sell as many rooms as possible.

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): $82.00 (USD)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Travel Insurance: $10.00 (USD)

Room Subtotal: $174.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $33.76 (USD)

Total Room Cost: $207.76 (USD)

I think St Patricks Day is definitely going to be a significant issue for these dates, unfortunately - I'm seeing high prices (and in some cases, regular rate listings because there isn't a discounted rate for that star rating in that area.) The best deal at the 4/4.5* level is a 4.5* downtown for $161; otherwise, prices are definitely on the high side, including a regular rate 3.5* in the French Quarter for $289.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

There is a Holiday Inn French Q in the Hotel Reviews (tab above). I don't know if it is the same one, but you might be able to tell with more detail from the post in the calendar.

It didn't occur to me when I was looking at the reviews, but if you get in there you may see some other 3* French Quarter hotels reviewed and that could help you with your decision. Or you might get lucky and some kind soul with current specific information might answer right now.

Hotwire shows the amenities for their offerings - the little symbols. If you click on the symbols you can get them translated to English. By comparing the amenities to those people have reported when they've gotten Hotwire hotels (first post in the Hotwire - Louisiana area) one can take a fairly good guess as to what the hotel might be. Or, if you post back here with the dates, amenities, star level and $$, somebody will help you with an educated guess. The only reason for you to proceed with this is if you think you might actually want to go ahead with the Hotwire deal. Generally, PL hotels are a little less expensive. Some people go with Hotwire because they prefer knowing what they might get, or they want specific amenities, or they want to bid for more than 2 people.

Romelle

And one doesn't necessarily get one of those counter offers before getting a win. I've had a number of bids where there was no clue that I was getting close. Just all of a sudden I got a win, after only increasing a dollar or two.

Mtownmom,

Rates are really not that high for these dates... HOTWIRE has a 4.5* in the Downtown zone for $95/nite; 'tough' dates in New Orleans can easily get into the mid-$100's, $200+, and virtually no availability on really tough dates.

superk4,

If you'd like help with your own stay please start a NEW TOPIC. As well, please read your messages and use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future bidding, searches and purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Success! Decided that Convention Center zone and 3.5 instead of 4 would be okay, so I bid....

Downtown at $60 - rejected

Added Convention Ctr - $65 - got upgraded to 4* for Hilton Riverside

In hindsight, it might have been better to bid Convention Center zone first, but still pleased with the deal. We've stayed here before & it's a very nice hotel. Thanks to all that helped! :)

I'm sorry - I don't know how to change the original thread title to indicate this...can someone please tell me how or an admin change it for me?

Editing to note that I did use the PRICELINE link.

Congratulations on your success!

All things considered not a bad deal for this stay... hope you're happy with the results and this works well for your plans.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Nicely done!

You were wise to not get stuck on that 4* level. Staying a bit flexible seems to be a key to getting good results.

Romelle

PS - you will note your thread title has been changed. When all the dust settles on a bidding sequence, the admins magically do it. That way all the titles are absolutely consistent and easy to scan.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]