Priceline Hotel: 3* Cleveland (Downtown) Radisson Gateway

cymbolz
By cymbolz,
in

Hi,

This is my first attempt at Priceline. Looking at Cleveland Downtown for 2 nights 5/23 to 5/25. Will start at 4* and see if I get one at a reasonable price, otherwise more than happy to try 3.5 or 3*...this post will focus on 4* bidding

Tried Priceline earlier today 4* Cleveland Downtown for $50 - was rejected, as I expected. But now I've read up on re-bidding and doing some quick research I see 10 re-bid zones - everything except Cleveland Heights & Downtown Cleveland

So now I'll work my way up from $50 in small increments up to around $75 selecting only 4* and using the re-bid zones. There are some examples of 4* in Cleveland Downtown going for mid 60's but was for December stay so might need to bid more for May.

I'd appreciate someone tell me I'm on the right track with understanding the re-bid zone concept and any other advice (such as I'm crazy for thinking I'll get 4* even for $75...but that's OK, it's my first go at this, I have plenty of time and I will drop to 3.5* then 3* as I'd like to keep my budget to < $75 + tax per night - and my next shot at this is New York, so this is a warm up :)

Thanks,

Matt

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You're correct in that you have TEN re-bid zones at the 4* level in Cleveland (but always double check just before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed)

You can/should try for a 4* hotel, but note that there are only two 'known' 4* hotels in the Downtown so there aren't too many hotels at this level which are able to accept your bid price (vs. if there were 5-6 hotels at this rating)

Let us know how your next round of bidding goes and/or if we can be of any help.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I decided to bid for 3.5* (still with plenty of re-bid zones) - started at $42 and now at $74 with no success.

Haven't decided if I will keep going or lower to 3* and start low again. Originally (before thinking about priceline bidding) I was aiming for $80-100 per night, and would be more than happy with something such as Holiday Inn Express (currently $108 on hotels combined).

My limit on 3.5* is almost reached, as I can see on Hotwire a 3.5* for $72 and a 3* for $62 (with breakfast and has 90% customer rating) - might be Holiday Inn Express (which is 3* on Hotwire but 2.5* on Priceline). So I'm tempted just to go for one of these - maybe try 3* bidding at Priceline starting ~ $40 up to high 50s, then get onto Hotwire.

I'll think about my next move over the coming day or so...still plenty of time. Feel free to add any thoughts/suggestions.

HOTWIRE has a 3.5* in the Downtown zone (i'm guessing the Radisson) for $73/nite while they also have a 3* in this same zone for $63/nite (i'm guessing either the Holiday Inn Express or Residence Inn)... both of these would seem to be a better value then your current back-up idea of the HI Express.

Thoughts on these options?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or if you do decide to book direct please use our link to the Holiday Inn Express as found in our support page)

Let us know what you decide and how you'd like to proceed.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

HOTWIRE has a 3.5* in the Downtown zone (i'm guessing the Radisson) for $73/nite while they also have a 3* in this same zone for $63/nite (i'm guessing either the Holiday Inn Express or Residence Inn)... both of these would seem to be a better value then your current back-up idea of the HI Express.

Thoughts on these options?

I'm leaning towards the 3* option on HOTWIRE as it has a higher recommendation rate of 90% versus the 3.5* that is only 80%. And the 3* has breakfast included which is convenient. The price difference isn't much so no issue with either from a budget.

I do wonder if I should spend the time on PRICELINE bidding on 3*? Given the hotels in scope are different to the Hotwire 3* (according to this forum, Priceline might include: Hilton Garden Inn, Radisson Gateway, Residence Inn) I would certainly not get HI Express but might get Residence Inn - a few historic results show both Residence Inn and Hilton Garden Inn coming up on 3* wins.

Do you think it's worth the time bidding on Priceline for 3* (if I started at $40) or would it not be worth my time and I should just go for Hotwire at $62?

In general, should I wait until closer to my vacation dates? It seems the price from my 3.5* Priceline bidding experience was higher than recent history...could that be due to the period I'm travelling (summer vs many seem to be in colder months) or that I should wait until closer to the date?

I leave Australia on May 7 (2.5 weeks before I arrive in Cleveland) so I'd want to have it sorted out around one week before my departure.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or if you do decide to book direct please use our link to the Holiday Inn Express as found in our support page)

Let us know what you decide and how you'd like to proceed.

Use the links, absolutely. Thanks for the HI link also, I didn't know about that one.

So now I'm looking for your advice on 3 options - (a) go with Hotwire 3*; (:) try bid on Priceline 3* up to $60 otherwise go with Hotwire $62;

Matt,

I'm just a member here, but wanted to say this - I've NEVER seen a Newbie post here with such an immediate and comfortable grasp on the whole bidding process - star levels, rebids, Priceline vs Hotwire, etc. Very impressive! I know you are asking for advice, but you are doing extremely well on your own, IMO.

All I can think to offer is a few tidbits:

If you've been to Europe before, but haven't been to the US, US 3 and 3 1/2* hotels are often more like European 4* hotels.

One's odds of getting an included breakfast seem to increase as the star level goes down, although breakfasts are not as commonly offered as they are in Europe.

Sometimes hotels will be clearly serving a buffet-type breakfast, but it will only be included with certain package rates (and this usually means NOT Priceline).

US public transportation is possible, but rarely as good as European public transportation.

I personally like the delightful surprise of a Priceline bid, plus of course the $ savings, over Hotwire. But lots of people prefer being at least reasonably sure of what they will get, so tend toward Hotwire.

I assume you are looking at the total number with all fees and taxes included when you do your comparisons. Once in a while there will be enough differences between how Priceline and Hotwire do things that the one with the lower base bid will actually have the higher total amount.

Romelle

Nobody can say if rates will come down... or go up... between now and your stay. If you're interested in the above HOTWIRE offer(s) the other 'risk' is not just the price going up/down, but also that these current offers disappear entirely and are replaced by hotels which you may not like as much (ie- based upon the percent recommended by HOTWIRE users and Tripadvisor information if shown) For more on 'when to purchase' see the related Bid Early or Close to Check-in Link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

I'm not sure i'm following your PRICELINE vs. HOTWIRE option... are you not favorable on the other 3* hotels in the zone? Keep in mind that the hotel lists on the board are not a complete list of what is possible, but only what has been reported... so there can definitely be hotels thru either service which are not currently listed in the hotel lists (new hotels are added/removed all the time and hotels in the lists may be upgraded/downgraded since the last time reported)

The PRICELINE vs. HOTWIRE decision really comes down to what is most important to you for this stay. Generally speaking, PRICELINE is the better decision if the lowest price is the desired goal... HOTWIRE can often be the better option if there are certain amenities that you're seeking from your stay (ie- pool, complimentary breakfast, etc), are trying to target/avoid a specific property in the zone, or would like to have an eduated guess as to what you may receive.

If you decide to go the HOTWIRE route let us know which one you're favoring and list the amenities currently shown and we'll confirm our previous guesses above since no amenities were listed and offerings can (and do) change often.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Hi Romelle - thanks for the compliment. I'm an engineer so have been "engineering" my strategy - plus have spent lots of time researching & checking out prices others have won at (on these forums) and the advice from those who have been there, done that. I bet I’m still asking some “dumb” questions but am enjoying the learning experience.

I think I’m now addicted to PRICELINE, and as I’ve invested the time to learn I might as well see what comes of it. The element of surprise and suspense in not knowing exactly which hotel, is sucking me in!

One question, you mention looking at the total with taxes etc included. Wouldn’t they be the same (assuming there aren’t fees, or very low, and that taxes should be identical)? I’ve been only comparing base rates assuming that, for the same location the taxes etc would roughly be the same.

Thereuare – thanks for the patient advice and pointing me to the info sources. I’ve read up the stuff you pointed me to and have now decided I’ll dabble a bit more in PRICELINE and then revert to HOTWIRE. Either way the experience has been enjoyable and I’ll be saving over the retail/public rate (or whatever we normally call it).

If PRICELINE doesn’t get me what I want for the right price, I’m looking at either of these on HOTWIRE:

3.5* Downtown Cleveland area Hotel (showing me $72)

- Fitness, Restaurant, Business Center, Laundry, Internet, Golf, Tennis

My guess: Radisson

or

3* Downtown Cleveland area Hotel (showing me $62)

- Breakfast, Fitness, Business Center, Laundry, Internet

My guess: Holiday Inn Express or Residence Inn

Yes, logic suggests PL/HW taxes would be the same and fees a consistent minimal difference. But I've seen some randomness in it, and it is worth watching just a little. Never more than a few dollars, but when one is bidding several days it adds up. Your word "roughly" pretty much describes it.

Glad you are having fun. And also glad you are sharing your progress with other bidders.

Romelle

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back and with good news. My first PRICELINE win!

My $59 bid for 3* Cleveland Downtown was accepted, and I'm staying at Radisson Hotel Cleveland Gateway. Dates are 5/23 - 5/25, total including taxes is $145.98 for the two nights.

I'm very pleased and was a good experience. Since my last post I haven't tried anything, so revisited this evening. Started 4* with a few rebid zones and got up to $65 - I didn't really want 4* and wasn't expecting a good price this far out from my stay (I understand it cannot be accurately predicted, but it seems the higher star hotels offer better prices at the last minute).

Then I tried 3* with 3 rebid zones starting at a very low $35 and moving up by roughly $5 until I got to $59 and was accepted. My last bid was going to be $61 as I was then going to take up the HOTWIRE offer of $62 for 3*. Either way I would have been a winner!

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Now onto New York and California...plus maybe some others.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]