Hotwire Hotel: 1* Northampton-Amherst (Holyoke-Northampton) Days Inn Holyoke

bend
By bend,
in

Hello all,

I'm worried about a possible problem. I booked a reservation via Hotwire, for a 1* property with suites listed as a amenity. Once the name was revealed (which I won't mention here) I went to other travel sites to learn about the place I'll be staying. The reviews talk about poor to horrible conditions of cleanliness and maintenance. Further, the hotel site makes no mention of any suites, and the chain is not known for their suites.

My plan is to show up at the hotel, and ask to see a room before completing the check-in process. If the room isn't clean, and/or isn't a suite, my plan is to first speak to the manager on duty, and then call Hotwire. The suite part isn't critical, but I do need more work space than a typical room. The reviews do leave me quite worried about the condition of the property. On the other hand, I've stayed at places with bad reviews in the past, and been completely happy. Rooms can vary within a property, and people's standards vary as well.

Does this sound like a good plan, or shall I proceed in some other way? I pride myself talking to customer service people and explaining my problem, and working towards a solution, so I don't need tips in that area. What I would appreciate is any specific tips dealing with Hotwire, or if my above plan of action is not correct.

Thanks.

If at this point in time HOTWIRE phoned you and offered to cancel the reservation because the Suite amenity was a mistake, what would your decision be? What are your replacement options?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If at this point in time HOTWIRE phoned you and offered to cancel the reservation because the Suite amenity was a mistake, what would your decision be? What are your replacement options

A good question, and it helps me to clarify my thinking. My largest concern is the property not meeting the Hotwire standards for a one-star hotel. The suite/no suite is of less importance, but it is important to me.

If the room is clean, and not *tiny*, then I would be disappointed, but I would still take the room. If the room is really tiny - no desk and no table, then it won't really work for me.

So, if they called me this evening and asked, I don't want to cancel the reservation - I need accommodation in the area at about this price, and can't cancel the trip at this time. My preference is that Hotline helps me out if, (and I mean if) at check-in the room isn't clean, and/or isn't large enough for my needs.

On the hotel website and on Expedia, I'm not seeing any suites at this property.

If you look at the 'photos' section, there is something they call a suite. But I'm not seeing a whole lot different besides a camera angle and a couch; it looks a lot like the two-queen room with a couch instead of one queen bed, along with a thin-screen TV. Plus there is no 'suite' rate available when I try to book through the Days Inn website.

The cleanliness comments on priceline sure have me worried...

So, if they called me this evening and asked, I don't want to cancel the reservation - I need accommodation in the area at about this price...

If you have other options within your budget i would call HOTWIRE and discuss the lack of a Suite icon with them to see if they will cancel the reservation on that ground... if you're happy with the property for this price then keep the reservation; but you need to be able to make this decision 'sight unseen' based upon what you know at this point in time.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you, everyone, for your help.

Things worked out fine for me.

My biggest concern, the state of the property, was unfounded. The room was *really* clean.

It was a 1* hotel - there were signs of wear in places, there was a rattle from an adjacent bathroom fan, as two examples. Perhaps other reviewers are expecting more luxury. The room was in better condition, maintenance wise, than rooms I've had recently in a Red Roof Inn, and at a Country Suites.

There are two 'suites' at the property, but the property was fully booked when I arrived, and I wasn't placed in one. I inquired at the desk, and they said Hotwire shouldn't have sold the room as a suite. I phoned Hotwire, and they confirmed with the hotel, and then gave me a bit of Hotwire credit towards a future stay. Given there was just enough desk space for me to get by, I was fine with that.

The staff were all quite friendly; it is a really small operation.

It also felt really safe - to get into the property, you need to walk or drive by the separate building that houses the front desk.

The breakfast was small and simple compared to some others I've been offered, but was exactly as described on the Days Inn website. Nothing stale.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]