Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Los Angeles (Santa Monica-Marina Del Rey) Sheraton Delfina

Triggerhappy
By Triggerhappy,
in

So I'm looking to get a 4*+ in West Hollywood on March 12-13.

Lowest retail is showing $168 for Luxe hotel

So far...bid $100 with no success...

So i'm looking for rebid zones. Based on the priceline map, the following rebid zones should be good for a 4*.

Culver City (3* and lower)

Lawndale (2.5* and lower)

Redondo (3.5* and lower)

When bidding, the 4* in Hollywood zone is listing the "median retail price" as $287. When I add Lawndale or Redondo as a second zone, the price remains at $287 as expected (no hotels in that area). However, when I add Culver City (Something that shouldn't have a 4*), the median price changes to $99.

How is this possible? Is there a 4* in there somewhere for uber cheap? Is this a glitch? I'm afraid to rebid with that zone for fear of getting something in there...

You have your re-bid zones correct, although i'm not 100% certain how you're determining them... the only method you should be using is detailed here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

The median price that PRICELINE suggests is often not accurate and not taken from the same universe of hotels as is available thru their name your own price service... for the most part this information should be ignored when determining a bidding strategy. The Luxe hotel is located in PRICELINE's (Brentwood - Westwood) zone, so may not be a fair comparison when bidding West Hollyood.

Also, can you confirm which zone(s) you're bidding... as the Luxe is in the Brentwood zone, your topic title mentions Hollywood, and you mention you want a hotel in West Hollywood. Let us know what it is exactly you're looking for from this stay, and which zones, by PRICELINE name, you're willing to accept and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yea, I didnt notice the location of Luxe. I'm using the proper way of checking which rebid zones to use, (use name your own price then tick off the zone on its own and make sure it doesn't hit that star level or higher). So while I'm not really using the number as an indication of actual price for a hotel in that zone, I would expect the algorithm they use to only make use of hotels that are actually in that zone. Hence for two of them, the median price stays the same (since there wouldn't be any 4*'s in the other zones so the median would stay the same), whereas when I add Culver City, it changes to the $99 giving a sort of indication that this zone would include a 4* for some reason. I just don't want to bid with that zone and end up with a surprise.

By the way, I also added Hollywood on a bid last night at $115 (Yes, they have 4* but I doubt I'd get any of them and even if I did, I'd be ok with it) and was declined.

Should I wait closer to the travel date for better pricing?

If this is a busy time period in the area or something is going on, then rates could suddenly ramp higher. There's no way to know for sure if prices will drop, be flat or ramp before your dates - it's best to be persistent and lock in a good deal, as while people have certainly been successful waiting until the last minute, there have been other instances where people have come back at the last minute to find little in their price range.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Don't use the 'average retail price' in determining any part of your bid strategy, this information is not meaning to your bidding (since it's not always accurnate and/or not a direct correlation to the hotels you're bidding on)

Please confirm exactly which zones (by PRICELINE name) you're willing to accept, and your maximum bid, and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Is this a one-night stay or two?

Technically we're in the area for 3 nights. 12-15. Currently looking for the 12th as I actually wouldn't mind staying in a couple areas, maybe even hit up San Diego for a night. I'm quite open to ideas. Hollywood, Santa Monica/ Venice Beach and San Diego? :)

Mind you, L'Ermitage has buy 2 get 1 free on their site which averages the rate to about $310 a night. If i could score a priceline or hotwire bid on that hotel for 3 nights at about $150 a night I'd definitely go for it. Alas 150 and 160 were declined by Priceline for 5*.

To summarize your bidding so far I think you've bid to $115 for 4* in Hollywood and BH-WH for 3/12 only. Is that correct?

What's your bidding limit for a 4* in Hollywood or BH-WH?

You've mentioned the Luxe, which is in Priceline's Brentwood-Westwood zone. Do you want to bid for 4* in BW-WW as well?

Have you decided if you're staying in LA just 3/12, or is it 3/12 and 3/13? It matters because Saturday 3/12 is much more expensive than Sunday 3/13, and the Hotwire pricing is higher for a Saturday night stay than for Sat + Sun. The Priceline bidding strategy could be dift for a one night stay or two as well.

So many questions....

So many questions indeed, but the answer to all of them is really: it depends.

Like I said, I'm planning out 3 nights (3/12 - 3/15) in the LA area, which could include places like Santa Monica as far as San Diego. Was concentrating on the first night initially but if the price to hotel ratio is right I'd consider doing all 3 days in one spot. Do I have a price limit? Probably around 130 a night. Will I bump it to 170 a night for L'Ermitage (Hotwire is looking possible for L'Ermitage but I can't tell if its that or Sofitel so I don't really want to get stuck there)? Most definitely. I'm quite open to suggestions, particularly from people that have done the LA travel bit.

The luxe was a mistake on my part as I didnt look into the location just as a general indicator of West Hollywood pricing. But no, I dont want westwood.

If you want three nights at one hotel I suggest bidding to your $130 limit for 4*.

If you're willing to move once I think you might win Sun 3/13 and Mon 3/14 for a lower rate than all three nights together. If you do that and like the hotel you win you could try Add a Night for 3/12, probably at a higher rate than the other two nights. There's no guarantee Priceline will have 3/12 available at the same hotel though.

For 3 nights HOTWIRE has a 4* in Hollywood for $143 that looks like the Roosevelt. You might be able to win Roosevelt for less on PRICELINE, somewhere between $115 (what you've bid) and your $130 limit.

4* in San Diego is usually quite a bit less than in LA. If you go over budget on your LA nights, whatever they are, you can make up for it in San Diego, or maybe at a 3.5* in Santa Monica-Marina Del Rey.

And regarding L'ermitage...you were rejected to $160/5* on Priceline for all three nights, I think. If you'd settle for two nights at L'ermitage you could try bidding to $160 for Sun and Mon. Then try Add a Night for 3/12 if you get it.

I'm a local resident in that area. The hotels in West Hollywood/ Beverly Hills are just REALLY expensive. A 5 star can be $800 a night. It's not like Vegas where 5 stars are really cheap.

Why no Sofitel? That is the best location. Right across the street from the Beverly Center, and the shops on Robertson. Close to the Grove... IMO I'd prefer that over L'Ermitage, which is in kind of a residential area.

All the 4 stars in the Hollywood zone are good hotels. I'd happily recommend anyone coming to town to stay at the Roosevelt, W or the Renaissance. The W is an incredible property, brand new and gorgeous! The Renaissance and Roosevelt are in some of the best possible locations to all the touristy stuff.

San Diego would be much less! I stayed at a 3.5 a few weeks ago in Del Mar for like $40 a night.

Only reason for not wanting the sofitel is due to what seems to be a significant amount of negative reviews of the place, whereas L'ermitage seems to always get a great review (also they have absinthe happy hour every day :)). But then again, who knows. I'm kind of preoccupied with other things right now so I'll start bidding again Monday to see where I land. But definitely thank you for your input. I'd love the W, but it seems there was just a posted priceline win for the Roosevelt on that night so I'm pretty sure I'll get that if I start bidding myself.

Just booked Le Montrose Suite Hotel for CAD $123 a night through Hotels.com as I noticed they had some super special this morning. Applied a 10% off coupon on top and ended up paying CAD $384 for the 3 nights. The booking is fully refundable till March 9th so I now have my backup while I bid something that would come out cheaper, although I'm not sure if I'll get anything.

Deal is on until 9PM tonight apparently.

• 2 weeks later...

So finally got around to bidding and figured I'll stay in Hollywood for Saturday / Sunday (12/13th) and bid via priceline for Santa Monica.

Ended up with the Sheraton Delfina for $93 + fees/taxes for the night of the 14th. Bid $85 for 3.5* in Santa Monica and got a you can rebid for $110 if you want. Added Lawndale and bumped up to $93 successfully. Used the site's PRICELINE links as always.

Next step is to book San Diego for our one day back on the 27th, but I'll make a separate thread for that.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]