Priceline Hotel: 3*/4* Copenhagen

purplelotus
By purplelotus,
in

I first bid $70 for 2 nights ($182.58 with taxes and fees) for a 4* property in Copenhagen . This was rejected with no counter. I then added the 3* level and lowered my bid to $50 per night ($132.34 with taxes and fees.) This was also rejected with no counter. Used BetterBidding link for bids.

I searched on Hotels.com and found the Radisson Blu Scandinavia hotel, a 4* property near the center of the city, for $128/night which included tax (total $255.40). This was an advance purchase non-refundable rate.(weekend special with 20% off). I know Radisson has a policy that they guarantee radisson.com has the best rate, and if one finds a cheaper rate, one can submit a claim and get 25% off the cheaper rate. I then looked at radisson.com to see if they had the same rate as Hotels.com. Radisson's cheapest advance purchase rate was 876 Danish krone (DKK) which is about $160. I was not sure how to make a claim with an advance purchase rate in a different currency. I called Radisson customer service and after an unsatisfactory conversation with an agent, I asked for a supervisor. I waited about 10 minutes for a supervisor. However, she was worth waiting for. First she told me I had to find a lower rate in the same currency, but she told me Hotels.com might have a Danish site. Sure enough, they do (da.Hotels.com), and better yet, they had the same 20% off special which was 701DKK (876 less 20%). This site is in Danish, but the format was very similar to the US Hotels.com site so I was able to figure this out even though I don't speak Danish. She told me to book a refundable rate on radisson.com and submit the claim. She said to mention in the comment section the advance purchase rate on both sites. She also told me to take screen shots of the da.Hotels.com site in case Radisson couldn't find it.

This morning I got an email saying my claim was approved, and I am able to purchase the room for 525.6DKK or about $96US. I had to call Radisson and prepay for the room. It is an advance purchase non-refundable rate which is only fair given the deal I'm getting. I called Radisson this afternoon, and the agent notifies the hotel which will send me a confirmation. I have not received this yet. This is only about $5/night more than my Priceline bid of $70 so this is equivalent to a Priceline bid of about $75 for a 4*. I doubt I would have been successful at $75 plus I get Radisson reward points.

I hope this helps someone since it took a fair amount of my time, but I think I am getting a fabulous deal. I occasionally find cheaper rates on Hotels.com than on the hotel websites so this strategy could work for others. Just remember book a REFUNDABLE rate on the hotel website.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]