Hotwire Hotel: Valentine's Day Getaway- 2/11-2/13

smartgirl84
By smartgirl84,
in

Hey!

I need help finding a 4* hotel that will cost under $85-90/ night, preferrably a hotel that doesn't charge for overnight parking. If the best rate for an amazing hotel still charges for parking we would still consider it. My husband and I would like to stay in a beautiful, comfy hotel and be close to fun things to do and interesting places to eat.

Thanks!

I hate to break it to you, but the is zero chance of getting free overnight parking in Downtown Chicago.

There is just no way around it. Here's a few tips if they help.

If you go with the hotel's valet parking: $40-50 (plus tip) might not be even 24hrs worth.

Self-Park options

North Michigan Ave/Gold Coast: $40 for 24hrs if you want near the action.

River North: $23 for 24hrs (not bad only 2-3 blocks from NMA)

The Loop: $40 for 24hrs if your in the North end near Grant park ect.. but as you go

south it gets better. More like $20 for 24hrs near the Willis tower.

West Loop/Greektown: You can park for free here on side streets. Pretty open on the weekends.

Navy Pier has some good rates as well.

As far as the nice hotel worth the parking fee, don't worry the nicer the hotel the more they hit you

for parking.

All this being said, don't let it stop you from going. If you don't need to stay overnight downtown the Chicago

Suburbs provide great deals using the PRICELINE link. You might get a 4 star for 50-55 bucks with free parking.

You could then take the train Downtown or drive.

Good Luck

You're not going to be able to know the parking charge of the hotel you will receive before purchase. I'd figure a 'worst case scenario' of $25-$30/day and parking at a non-hotel garage... deduct that from your total budget and set your maximum bid for a hotel accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unfortunately, no hotels offer free parking downtown and most parking rates have gone up over the last few years. My best suggestion would be to park in one of the city lots - Navy Pier is - I believe - $25 per day.

What type of hotel are you looking for? Given that free parking is not a possibility downtown, what would be your desired max budget per night for hotel?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I'm guessing you have never used PRICELINE or HOTWIRE before so i'll comment that you have to realize that there are some things you can control and some things you can't control.

Start with this thread: I've Never Used Priceline or Hotwire which explains the similarities, and differences, between the two services.

With PRICELINE you can choose the star rating and zone and need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star level (as determined by PRICELINE) or higher that you select. Things like parking charges, resort fees (not really prevalent in this area), charge for internet, etc. are all unknown and payable directly to the hotel.

With HOTWIRE you don't know the name of the hotel either, although you can sometimes take an educated guess as to what is offered based upon the amenities shown. However, HOTWIRE often also shows user satisfaction details based upon feedback from previous customers, and sometimes Tripadvisor reviews for the property... this can help you determine how others perceived the hotel and help you decide if it is one you would like to purchase or not. As well, HOTWIRE often shows parking charges for the hotel, although as mentioned above i think you should resolve to park at a non-affiliate lot as it will be somewhat cheaper.

While HOTWIRE can often give you a better 'feel' for the quality and experience at a hotel, PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper... so that is a trade-off to consider as well.

Based upon the above what are your thoughts in regards to which direction you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you can push your budget just a bit further, I like the Sax for $119 on a 48-hour sale via Expedia, and coupon code FROST11 takes $10 off each night.

On HOTWIRE, I'm seeing a 4.5* w/fitness, business, restaurant, internet and smoke-free for $106, which is likely the Intercontinental.

I'm also seeing a 4* in the NMA-GC-WT area for $77 on HOTWIRE w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Tennis, Spa. That would be a possible match for the Affinia.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE, PRICELINE or Expedia links to start your purchases and searches.

I have actually used both quite frequently.

It would be appreciated if you began to share your wins with the board so that the information can help help others with their own travel plans :)

If your looking for the best deal...Use the PRICELINE link and Bid 4 star NMA/River North Zone. It looks like

the Hotel Felix is in play. Some nice rates being posted. It's a 4 star. I have stayed there it's really nice. The

rooms are a bit small, not very wide to be exact. Nice Bathroom (walk-in shower ect..). It's going for the

arty/modern/eco thing so I think it's going for the hip crowd so to speak. Lots of reviews online.

Like I listed above, parking is cheaper in the River North area.

I won this hotel for $61 and it was well worth it. You might want to start bidding at that level. In fact, you could

just keep bidding at the 4 star level in both the Loop and NMA/River North Zones till $85. You can't get a bad

hotel at the 4/3.5 star levels in Downtown Chicago.

Regards

No problem...you can use the non-4/3.5 star zones to get the free rebids.

Example:

Bid 1- NMA/River North $65 (4 Stars)

Bid 2- +Mill/Loop/Grant Park $68 (4 Stars)

Bid 3- + 3.5 star hotel $70

Bid 4- +Franklin Park $72 (no 4 or 3.5 stars in that zone)

Bid 5- +Hyde Park $77 (no 4/3.5 as well)

Bid 6- +Midway Airport North $82 (no 4/3.5)

Bid 7- +Lincoln Park $85 (no 4/3.5)

Caution:

O'Hare North and South plus Greater Chicago have 4/3.5 star Hotels

Midway Airport,Skokie-Niles Evanston have 3.5 star hotels

If you add these zones you'll most likely win in one of them (the rates are much lower).

If you only go for 4 stars, you can use the Midway Airport Zone. But I feel you're losing a chance

at many nice hotels in the Downtown Chicago Area.

Also, if this is 2 night stay. You may want to bid only on night 1 first. Then if you like the hotel you can

add a night. Plus if you don't win you can just start a new bid with night 2. (no waiting period)

There is some debate if splitting your bids/nights makes for a better deal. I'm not sure but it

seems like the best deals are for one night with the winners then adding a night often.

I would do this myself, but if don't want to risk having to switch hotels you should pass on this.

Of course, you may already know all of this..Good Luck

smartgirl84

Be careful before you rush and split your stay.

There's is nothing that says that you will be able to extend (add a night) your stay for the same price. It's not even sure that PRICELINE will accept this even if the option appear after your bid.

Are you willing to change hotel during your stay?

Yellowdog.

I wouldn't split this stay... rates are NOT high for these dates and i wouldn't risk having to change hotels to potentially save just a few dollars.

How high have you bid already?

Please click this PRICELINE link before replying and use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future bidding, searches and purchases.

Thanks.

I'll also say to not rush and not to split your bid for this stay. However, I'll also note that if this is for a Valentine's Day getaway, are you willing to pay a "premium" for a particular property that may be more suited for the occasion? If so, then we can look at HOTWIRE or if there are some regular rate deals at/near your range. Otherwise, if you are looking more for an inexpensive 4*, I'd suggest PRICELINE.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]