Priceline Hotel: 5* Tokyo (Minato-ku-Shinagawa-ku) Dai-Ichi Hotel Tokyo

wecallis
By wecallis,
in

Priceline would not accept bid of $160, but countered to accept $200. Cancelled and rebid for $180 for the same area and star-level and got Dai-Ichi Hotel Tokyo. This is my first post to this forum, and I was not aware to click through the links, but will next time.

The Dai-Ichi Hotel Tokyo is not listed in the hotel list, so I was expecting the Intercontinental Tokyo Bay, since that's the only 5* hotel people have received. I noticed that Priceline does not offer Dai-Ichi Hotel Tokyo through their non-bidding system, which I thought was odd (any of the nine 5* hotels they do have available for non-bid would have been a great deal better).

It is questionable if Dai-Ichi Hotel Tokyo is actually 5* as Priceline claims (the majority of web sites, including Expedia, Travelocity, and Hotels.com, give it 4*). Would I have a case if I called Priceline for a refund, citing (1) Priceline doesn't offer this hotel through their non-bid reservation system, and (2) the star level is questionable, and as far as I can tell, only Orbitz rates this property 5*?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Sorry to see you're not happy with the results, but thank you for sharing your win with the board and helping us add this property to the Priceline Hotel List.

Would I have a case if I called Priceline for a refund, citing (1) Priceline doesn't offer this hotel through their non-bid reservation system, and (2) the star level is questionable, and as far as I can tell, only Orbitz rates this property 5*?
1) Definately not... the 'retail' and the 'bidding' side of PRICELINE each use a different universe of hotels. As well, if you browse the retail listings and then click the "Name Your Own Price" option a message is displayed on the ensuing page that you may receive a hotel not listed in the previous listings

2) Probably not... star ratings are subjective, and as as long as the hotel meets the requirements that PRICELINE sets for 5* rated hotels then i don't think you'll make much headway. As well, Orbitz rates this property 5* which is consistent with and supports PRICELINE's rating for this property.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would certainly try calling Priceline. In 2007 I "won" a 3* hotel in Boston (Copley Square) from Priceline. AAA only gave the hotel 2 diamonds (2* equivalent). I called Priceline. They told me that if I could find two online sites that gave it a 2* rating they would do something for me. This is so long ago that I can't remember if they said they would cancel the sale and refund my money or give it to me at a lower price. Unfortunately, I could not find any other sites (eg, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.) that gave the hotel a 2* rating. They all gave the hotel a 3* rating. You have found two other sites so if they haven't changed their policy, you should be able to get some concession.

In my case AAA was correct. The hotel was old and frumpy and nowhere near a 3* level. I wrote a letter to the manager. The hotel was scheduled for a major renovation according to him. I haven't been back, but I did notice the next year AAA said the hotel was scheduled for a major renovation. I was disappointed that Priceline wouldn't do anything for me. On at least 3 occasions Hotwire has given me some money back or refunded my purchase entirely when the hotel was not rated properly.

I was in Tokyo in November. I was unsuccessful bidding on Priceline. I ended up getting a 3.5* hotel on Hotels.com, Monterey Hanzomon, for about $130 including taxes and fees. It was fine, very clean as almost everything in Japan was. And it was right across the street from a subway station. Hotels.com also has a good reward program. You may be very familiar with Tokyo, but if you are not and have a question, I'd try and help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]